Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tantc

Diy Club In Singapore

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

This is a simple PVC hanger to hang clothes after ironing.

I made it for my maid after seeing her hang clothes all over the place (not her fault).

I took this design off Google and adapt it to whatever local hardware is available.

The pipes are electrical pipes. Better to make them using PVC water pipes if you want to make them.

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff334/reframe/photoPVChanger_zpsbac31be6.jpg

Edited by Pelect

Hi Bros and Sis, I am doing a small craftstone/craftbrick feature wall diy style. Anyone knows where can I buy an appropriate brick tile cutting tool (handheld or power)? I bought the tungsten carbide tile cutter (pen type) from hardware store but it fails to cut the craftbrick (too thick I think). :(

If anyone has any suggestions (based on your experience or what your contractor uses), would be deeply appreciated. Not sure if the power type is expensive or not ... :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Maybe can try checking with some CC? Or Town COuncil? They have community garden, so perhaps can have community workshop !

Having a shared workshop is difficult though because the best thing about your own is leaving stuff around till the next time youre free to carry on with it! So with a shared workshop, everyone must take away all his project stuff after each visit so as to free up worktops and floor space for the others. That's very troublesome, man.

The other most important bit is that of Insurance. Just in case someone decides to sue another or the rest if he has an accident. And dont forget to include utilities. Must have WC, most important. Include coffee machine and fridge. What comes out need to re-fill.

I had loads eqpt and projects done in my garage and backyard whilst overseas. Miss picking up discards too.

Perhaps those living in condos can start a workshop in their condo! But MUST restrict "working hours". Can double up for mahjongg after dark though.

Keep thread going!!!

Edited by Cnocturnum

:good: It is better than hanging out in the kopitiam building up beer belly. Recycle whatever that is salvaged to put into good use again from your creativity will keep people happy for very long time.

moreover Tools and technic sharing makes a lots of sense for all diy. me support.

I'd be interested too, still remember some pointers from D&T classes ages ago. Are there school workshops open to public to use (perhaps for a small fee)?

1) rottenramone

2) megabites

3) MichaelC

4) dinobros (if the cost is not too high)

5)70wood

6) Lorddraco (I have some other project in my mind. A cabinet to host my dry box + maybe a charging station, a bedside table...)

7) paladin (if membership fees is not that high)

8) errandz (also if membership fees not too high)

9) SgUncle

There's this group Sustainable Living Labs, that conducts basic woodworking courses for singles and families. They are located at Bottle Tree Park in Sembawang, with a workshop. You can check out their facebook page for updates My link. The last course they ran was sometime in October.

Anyone else know of any other DIY courses?

Done some laminate myself before. Not too difficult to do but to do excellent trimming, really need a lot of skills and I learn through trial and errors.

Singapore HDB dont have space to do larger projects....

Hey,

Am interested in picking up basic woodworking skills too.

Also interested in welding.

With these 2 skills, I think you can do a heck of a lot by yourself!

It'd be great if someone could run a course for us.

I think you have brought up a good idea. I'm not sure whether ITE conducts part time practical courses for the two skills you mentioned. If not, it would be worth the while for them to consider doing so. For basic woodworking, it may be a lot easier to acquire the skill, but welding is a lot harder. You've got to consume a lot of welding rods and throw away a lot of metal pieces of various thickness in order to get your hand steady on holding the rod-holder and mastering welding from different angles and positions.

http://70wood.blogspot.com

Hey,

Am interested in picking up basic woodworking skills too.

Also interested in welding.

With these 2 skills, I think you can do a heck of a lot by yourself!

It'd be great if someone could run a course for us.

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to bring to your attention, the Sustainable Living Lab. We're a community prototyping facility located inside Bottle Tree Park (Yishun). We have workbenches and a bunch of equipment such as table saw, band saw, belt sander, bench drill and so on... all very useful for building DIY projects. It is possible to book a space at our workshop on weekdays, just read through the FAQ over at our site - http://www.sl2square.org/book-a-bench-space-today/

We're also running a wood working level 1 class for family pairs (dad + kid, mum + kid etc..) this coming 8/9 Sept. Thought that some of you here might be interested.

558331_347169978703259_1069104462_n.jpg

Sustainable Living Lab is excited to announce our first 'Kampung Maker Course' for Families!

Why learn Craftsmanship?

Designed for family pairs, this 3-hour hands-on course is an introduction to woodworking with a focus on the 3 life values of craftsmanship: discipline, respect and work ethics.

Exclusive to first 12 pairs, the course is specially crafted like a story around Singapore's unique woodworking heritage.

When? This coming school holidays, 8 (Sat) / 9 Sep (Sun)

Where? SL Kampung @ Bottle Tree Park (near Khatib MRT)

Any valuable takeaways?

You'll learn to make a family heirloom clockhouse together with your loved one - with guidance from our Makers at the Kampung. And... yes, you get to bring your beautiful creation back home

Any discount if I enrol early?

Enrol by 31 Aug at www.pasargora.net for Early Bird Discount.

Early registration will better ensure that you and your loved one are covered well by insurance throughout the course. Our courses often fill up fast - better not take the chance to delay.

Still deciding? Contact Veera at veera@sl2square.org or at (+65) 90063909. Enrol today at www.pasargora.net

See you at our first Kampung Maker Course with your loved one!

This course is specially crafted by Sustainable Living Lab (SL2). Visit our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/sl2square and help spread the Word

Brilliant idea.

But don't forget about the legal side of things.

Personal Indemnity forms ,

Public liability Insurance and personal insurance.

better be safe than sorry.

Just a heads Up...