Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tantc

Diy Club In Singapore

Hello! I'm new here :)

I want to ask if anyone here has heard of the Kreg Jig?

I'm thinking about building a custom shoe cabinet (I have a small awkward area about 80 inches wide that would be perfect for a gigantic shoe cabinet).

I haven't any woodwork DIY before, though I always read blogs like www.ana-white.com (BTW, I think this site is great for DIY stuff, they are sorted according to budget and difficulty, which is great)

The Kreg Jig sounds like an easy way to do joints: I'd have to get everything from scratch though, cut wood (or buy a circular saw and DIY :S), put together, put hinges and doors, stain and varnish! Of course everything sounds easy in my head lah.... In my mind it's already completed :P

Anyway! I tried searching online and the Kreg Jig does not seem available locally, and I'd have to ship from Amazon, probably, via comgateway.

I'm thinking about getting the JR set, a right angle clamp and maybe a screw set too.

Shipping should be hefty, plus its a relatively big investment if in the end I lose interest midway :/ let's hope not!

JR set: http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-R3-Pocket-Hole-System/dp/B000J43A7W/ref=pd_cp_hi_2 <- this is the set I intend to get, it's quite basic at USD39, there's a more basic set but that's really not much.

If you look around amazon you can find the more complete set (K4) going for USD100!

(posted this in the woodwork thread too hoping that I can get more views!)

Edited by sugarkitty

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi guys, first of all, how big space do we need for the warehouse? I can try searching for any cheap rentals. I suppose the warehouse is also big enough for us to store our uncompleted projects.

I would feel that using workshops in schools are not that practical. Because they may let you use for a limited time. But if your DIY requires a longer time to completed, where are you going to store your things? Unless the school let you put with them loh.

I used to work with a HOD of IT dept in a secondary school. Now he's promoted to VP. Do you think i should go ahead and ask if he lets me use his school for DIY?

LOL. Later you get him into trouble...jawdrop.gif

i'm gonna try building a bookshelf using pipes and plywood boards.

http://www.the-brick-house.com/2009/09/shelving-unit/

seems like sungei kadut's the place to be to get the plywood (or maybe punggol) i was thinking of getting the OSB (flakeboard), but the wood company says its 12mm thick.

will update as i go along.

but where are u going to get the pipes from..?

Count me in!!!! would love to learn more and share ideas! maybe we should have a blog where all DIY Projects can be shared with photos and vids. be reaalll cool!

well, the thing is, we cant be doing much ID and reno for other ppl when well, most, if not all, are just diy enthusiast. or course if it is possible to do those reno work for the needy like shown on chn5 or 8 shows, it would be nice, yet again, it will still be too much a chores for the admin work and fundings.

well, definately interesting... right now i am diy-ing my garden, and its a thread in this section of the forum as wel. the cost incurred are low as many of the materials are left over by other people, which includes 8 pieces of tiles left by hdb... anyway, hope to see more popele posting threads about their DIY stuff, pictures of progress, so that we can learn from each other online.

regarding the group might be a buit hard, since we dont always have our own project. for example, my diy garden cant be done in a work shop, and i spend half my time i johor bahru. more importantly is the cost that incurred. i guess the rental itself may cost at least a thousand, and therefore if we cant gather at least 30 people, it gonna cost us a boom.

Well said. Some projects cannot be brought to the workshop, while others do not have projects. As for my interest in this thread is a reflection of my own way of life, that is if things I can do it on my own, I'd prefer to do it than getting a contractor. People are getting more dependent on contractors that even for small thing like kitchen sink choke they have to call for one. From this point, I believe the group can move at bigger leaps if it's not just based on the need for individual projects.

http://70wood.blogspot.com

Anyway, guys, I've created a facebook group for a start so that we can all post our projects on the facebook page. Do PM me your email or name if you're interested.

Hi guys, first of all, how big space do we need for the warehouse? I can try searching for any cheap rentals. I suppose the warehouse is also big enough for us to store our uncompleted projects.

I would feel that using workshops in schools are not that practical. Because they may let you use for a limited time. But if your DIY requires a longer time to completed, where are you going to store your things? Unless the school let you put with them loh.

I used to work with a HOD of IT dept in a secondary school. Now he's promoted to VP. Do you think i should go ahead and ask if he lets me use his school for DIY?

bro, :D i wonder if we can collect partial haulage by takin away the smaller useful woods and such from all those house.. Hahaha.. Can use that to fund the workshop.....

I think should not be a problem but the ah neh actually collect it and sell to garang guni. So, if we want, we have to buy from them.

I saw a big piece of tempered glass, the size about 2m by 1m. Its inside the rubbish chute. I think they collected it and put it there, ready to sell. But they never lock the rubbish chute. So i wondered if anyone can just go in and take.

• Like 1