Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
beany0811

Somewhere In Bishan

Enjoy your stay in bishan, at st 13 for 4 years and st 23 for 15 :D

merryman: thanks. you have sharp eyes. yes, this is the layout of the point blocks in the estate :)

booy: st 24 units are much younger right? We haven't been to units there other than our friend's EM near the Salvation Army. Didn't really take note of beams until we started our reno exercise

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
merryman: thanks. you have sharp eyes. yes, this is the layout of the point blocks in the estate :)

booy: st 24 units are much younger right? We haven't been to units there other than our friend's EM near the Salvation Army. Didn't really take note of beams until we started our reno exercise

haha, cuz it's exactly the mirror image of what my unit at st 13 was :D

st 24 are about 4 years younger only... that's why I was only at st 13 for 4 years :D

hi AJ, yeah, we're on st 13 cluster and pretty near you. your block's location is excellent. Shop&Save and KSL is right opposite!

yeah, the beams caused some new strands of white hair :S both of us tried so hard to work around these irritating beams when we brainstormed our layout. eventually, we gave up and adopted the last resort, i.e. lowering of the false ceiling.

as for exposed pipes, we have 2 in the balcony area, which we intend to box up :)

Yep. From the vantage point of your pics I can see that we're actually quite close. I think you're probably near the low 190s stretch. :)

Glad to know that exposed pipes is quite minimal at your place. We had 2 running across the living room that we had to box up.

Although the location we're at's pretty good, I'd have to warn you that if you own a car and are getting season parking, getting a lot and around the car park can be a headache during peak periods cos' the areas always very crowded and full of cars due to either:

(i) Meet the MP session (ii) Parents with kids in enrichment classes at the CC (iii) Kim San Leng and NTUC/Central shop patrons.

We really love the current location and pretty sad to be moving away from there to St 24 soon. Just trying to enjoy all the convenience while we can. :)

Edited by adrian_john

My flat is around 16+ years old.. Generally the rest are younger than the St13 ones.. But St13 is nearer to Bishan central..

hahaha, talk about location, beany, I used to stay at st13 when there was no big CC, no J8, interchange with only 3 buses (56, 410W,G), no catholic high... luckily last time was on school bus :P

My flat is around 16+ years old.. Generally the rest are younger than the St13 ones.. But St13 is nearer to Bishan central..

Yup. I did a comparison of walking timing from my current place at St 13 to the new place at St 24.

Current place St 13:

to NTUC, Shop N' Save, HDB Area Office, Community Club, Kim San Leng = Approx 10 to 20 seconds.

to Interchange = Approx 1 minute. to J8, MRT, CPF, S11, banks and Library = Approx 3 to 4 minutes.

New place St 24:

to Interchange, J8, MRT, CPF, S11, banks and Library = Approx 10 to 13 minutes.

to NTUC, Shop N' Save, HDB Area Office, Community Club, Kim San Leng = Approx 15 to 18 minutes.

hahaha, talk about location, beany, I used to stay at st13 when there was no big CC, no J8, interchange with only 3 buses (56, 410W,G), no catholic high... luckily last time was on school bus :P

Same here. Interchange with one dusty dirt path across bare land to the then-newly opened MRT.

Yup. I did a comparison of walking timing from my current place at St 13 to the new place at St 24.

Current place St 13:

to NTUC, Shop N' Save, HDB Area Office, Community Club, Kim San Leng = Approx 10 to 20 seconds.

to Interchange = Approx 1 minute. to J8, MRT, CPF, S11, banks and Library = Approx 3 to 4 minutes.

New place St 24:

to Interchange, J8, MRT, CPF, S11, banks and Library = Approx 10 to 13 minutes.

to NTUC, Shop N' Save, HDB Area Office, Community Club, Kim San Leng = Approx 15 to 18 minutes.

Same here. Interchange with one dusty dirt path across bare land to the then-newly opened MRT.

:D yea, I was there on the day of the opening :D your new place at st 24 is nearer to where? salvation army? whitley?

Yep. From the vantage point of your pics I can see that we're actually quite close. I think you're probably near the low 190s stretch. :)

Glad to know that exposed pipes is quite minimal at your place. We had 2 running across the living room that we had to box up.

Although the location we're at's pretty good, I'd have to warn you that if you own a car and are getting season parking, getting a lot and around the car park can be a headache during peak periods cos' the areas always very crowded and full of cars due to either:

(i) Meet the MP session (ii) Parents with kids in enrichment classes at the CC (iii) Kim San Leng and NTUC/Central shop patrons.

We really love the current location and pretty sad to be moving away from there to St 24 soon. Just trying to enjoy all the convenience while we can. :)

yeah, you have sharp eyes too haha

actually, we did notice the parking issue back when we're doing our house hunting in this cluster. the available non-season parking lots were usually the ones further from my block. the current upgrading of the cluster doesnt help either. the haulage containers and trucks occupy the already precious and limited lots.

talk about bad timing. the lift upgrading works are in progress and probably won't complete in the next 2 months. With only a lift servicing 20 stories of residents, we're so pai seh to hog on to it because of our ongoing reno works

:Psaw that u're moving to AMK. we both had our AMK days too - guy: has been staying in AMK all his life. old place - 4rm flat; moved to a 5rm flat across the street, and still there now. girl: stayed in AMK till age of 5, opposite the macdonald's @ amk park now - during our early days, AMK had no MRT, limited buses too..... it had only... KFC

:Psaw that u're moving to AMK. we both had our AMK days too - guy: has been staying in AMK all his life. old place - 4rm flat; moved to a 5rm flat across the street, and still there now. girl: stayed in AMK till age of 5, opposite the macdonald's @ amk park now - during our early days, AMK had no MRT, limited buses too..... it had only... KFC

my current place quite close to yours... well, my parents' :P Already been here for about 3-4 years le, and now wife is shifting from east to here :D

Couldn't imagine AMK with limited buses but I remembered the KFC since back then when I was in Bishan, there was an A&W also right?!

hi sohck, rem my posting you n commenting our houses have almost the same layout?

rather similar, isn't it?

was hoping to get a few tips from you on how to minimise those ugly beams and getting around the low ceilings ;)

Yes, in fact everything is the same except for the balcony. I have the added headache because my balcony is round.

Do you have a lot of beams in bedroom 2? My ceiling at bedroom 2 is 2.47m but the height from floor to beam is 2.15m. As a result, I have to give up the full height cabinet at v.Hive (2.4m) and have to go for the half-height one (85cm).

My other problem is that the height from floor to windows at balcony is less than 1m. Because of that I have to give up my balcony (4-inch). What is the length from floor to windows at your balcony?

yeah, A&W was still around when the guy had his root beer floats during his secondary school days.

now that we're moving to Bishan, we'll probably buy more of the GV movie passes offered by HSBC :P J8's GV is where we usually catch our show. we don't have to pay parking fees at J8 anymore! :P

But I realise Bishan don't seem to have a proper market ah.. I'm sick for the past few days and can hardly find food that fits a sick person around my area.. :(

Yes, in fact everything is the same except for the balcony. I have the added headache because my balcony is round.

Do you have a lot of beams in bedroom 2? My ceiling at bedroom 2 is 2.47m but the height from floor to beam is 2.15m. As a result, I have to give up the full height cabinet at v.Hive (2.4m) and have to go for the half-height one (85cm).

My other problem is that the height from floor to windows at balcony is less than 1m. Because of that I have to give up my balcony (4-inch). What is the length from floor to windows at your balcony?

hmm for bedroom 2, i think there's only one beam that runs along the wall on the right after entering the room. let me see if there's any pictures that i can post for you to see.

for balcony's distance between the floor and window, i can only tell you after the contractors clear the debris and re-lay the tiles because we intended to level the area as part of the dining room. it's probably the distance between living room floor and window + 10cm (due to the balcony's default drop).