Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
beany0811

Somewhere In Bishan

adrian_john, open concept toilet not very possible for us, cos the next block is too near... can look directly into our room from the opp block's kitchen. not an appealing thought, haha. tt's the prob when population density is super high.

we will be doing frosted glass for the mbr toilet.

any suggestions for common toilet doors apart fm bifold? ours is currently sliding aluminium/acrylic - din wanna do bifold; thinking whether can do any others besides glass? *crack head*

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the proximity of the other blocks and having neighbours looking directly into the rooms. :)

Frosted glass is nice. For the common toilet doors, perhaps you could explore PD Doors? Alternatively, if you have a shower screen and exhaust fan, and the front half of the toilet is dry, you can even consider the veneer doors. But I think glass still looks the best. :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Same problem as my new flat. Anyway my current place also have direct afternoon sun, by the time we come back from work, the living and master bedroom are as hot as a furnace, take one to two hours of air con to cool it down.

The most effective way, I found out over the years, is to put solar film on the windows. Better than curtains and blinds. But you have to choose the car solar film, it is a lot more effective (and expensive).

BTW, the sunrise is beautiful.

car solar film....wow.... thot of using 3M, but dunno whether will burst the budget. read tt is about $14/psf. is car solar film more exp than tt?

will start sourcing ard and asking for quotations, now tt the window panes are up.

thanks for the tip!

Hi sohck, saw that you bought an irobot roomba too! I am also a fan of irobots. I also have the scooba which mops the floor. So far no complaints about it! The only thing is that cos of the battery life, I cant have the whole house cleaned in 1 day. So it is like only cleaning 1-2 rooms a day.

In that case, the beam positions could be different. My master bedroom and bedroom 3 have basically no beams. All the beams are in bedroom 2. In fact, every wall has a beam for my bedroom 2. I will try to take some pictures too to show you.

You are also welcome to visit my place if you want to take a look.

As promised, here's the pictures of the beams in my bedroom 2:

DSC_00170017-1.jpg

DSC_00180018-1.jpg

DSC_00190019-1.jpg

DSC_00200020.jpg

You see, for my place, MBR and bedroom 3 have no beams. The beams are all in bedroom 2 (all four walls, including the one where the door is). You can see them in the pictures.

sohck: i get what you mean. i think your wire management and air con trunking are done much better than ours. wait till i post the pictures of the ugly wiring :S

haha we won't get enjoy the sunset together often as hubby usually returns home pretty late.

btw, thanks for your invitation for us to visit your place :)

adrian_john: we're still undecided about the common bathroom door. there's a beam, so we couldn't do a one-piece sliding door. we will have shower screen and ventilator fans installed for both bathrooms. probably not going for veneer door because of my way of washing. I like to play with water and splash the entire place wet :P

Edited by beany0811

sohck: i get what you mean. i think your wire management and air con trunking are done much better than ours. wait till i post the pictures of the ugly wiring :S

Very important for wiring / air-con trunking: tell the contractor how you want the wire / trunking to run. If not, they will try to use the least material to get the job done, and you will have messy wires.

yeah, will be going to the unit tomorrow again to look at the wiring. not much else can be done for the air con though.

Your wiring will be okay since you will be hiding everything in the false ceiling, right?

THE TILING SO FAR

Kitchen and feature wall

feature wall tiles look weird - ID assured us it will be OK after washing and cleaning :unsure:

Picture045-1.jpg

Entrance foyer

Picture040-1.jpg

MBR Toilet

Picture031.jpg

Common Toilet

Picture017-1.jpg

Edited by beany0811

THE TILING SO FAR

MBR Toilet

Picture031.jpg

I like your MBR toilet. Wanted to do something similar but my wife had other ideas....

THE TILING SO FAR

Kitchen and feature wall

feature wall tiles look weird - ID assured us it will be OK after washing and cleaning :unsure:

Picture045-1.jpg

Entrance foyer

Picture040-1.jpg

MBR Toilet

Picture031.jpg

Common Toilet

Picture017-1.jpg

i must say the choices of the tiles look good... :good: can start to imagine how swee it will turn out.... :dribble:

Progress Update - End of Week 2

# Air-con Trunking installed - Hong Tar

# Electrical works - wires layed; position of switches confirmed - electrician provides Legrand! nice surprise

# New window panes installed

# Tiling of kitchen; toilets, foyer - 80% complete

# Ceiling works - in progress

# Quotations for solar film requested from Jestac (3M) and I-Que (Vkool) - waiting for replies

New window panes with tea-coloured glass

Picture005.jpg

MBR Toilet - cement base partially up

IMG_0418.jpg

False ceiling to flush with beam

IMG_0422.jpg

Edited by beany0811

i must say the choices of the tiles look good... :good: can start to imagine how swee it will turn out.... :dribble:

thanks :D all of us here r eagerly waiting to see the outcome of one anothers' houses, i guess.

always nice to see transformations of houses, and the nice decors which turn out.

enquired about solar films for our living and dining rooms, which have almost direct west sun.

met up with the consultants fm jestac and vkool today, who came to take measurements, and show us samples of the solar films.

the lady from jestac even had a demonstration on how effective the films were in rejecting and blocking out heat.

waiting for their quotations, which will be sent to us mon/tues.

vkool (i-que) - range fm $5-$20/psf; recommended for direct west sun is the 43FG film ($20/psf) - 99% UV rejection, 98% infra-red rejection, 65% solar energy rejection, 43% light transmission

3M sun control/night vision- range fm $6-$14/psf - the reflective series are the $6/$7 ones; those hv less effective heat rejection, and are reflective in the day, preventing others fm seeing into your house when windows r close. The reverse, however, happens @ night.

3M prestige window films - $14/psf - said to lower rm temperature by 2-5 degrees - recommended for direct west sun PR40 - 99.9% UV rejection, 97% infra-red rejction, 59% solar energy rejection, 39% light transmission

we asked the consultants to propose different combinations for the bedrooms and living/dining areas - price range est to be $1000 to $1500 for whole house