Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
beany0811

Somewhere In Bishan

hi all, i have a question and appreciate if everyone can give me some feedback.

we're using some glass material items for our house. E.g. Glass cladded wall between kitchen and foyer area, tempered glass MBR toilet wall, tempered glass swing doors for both toilet entrances etc.

we're in a dilemma about the finishing to be used. I.e. Sandblast or frosted sticker laminate.

any suggestion which we should use? thanks! :)

I think the norm these days is frosted sticker. Sandblast is more costly though, but I hear the effect is not bad too.

Actually for some of the glass you can actually leave it clear for the spatial effect. :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

thanks to everyone who gave their 2 cents' worth on our latest problem on frosted glass

i asked my colleague, whose hubby is doing reno work.

sandblast - more exp, cos they have to send the whole glass for processing - prone to water mark stains, if the water is not wiped off promptly. durability, of cos higher

frosted sticker - cheaper, cos just a piece of sticker onto clear glass; easier maintenance, and if u wanna change the design 5 yrs down the road, just peel the sticker. however, sticker has to be pasted on well, or prone to air bubbles and peeling, esp if its subject to water.

dunno if the above findings r conclusive enough tho... our ID also highlighted to us the water mark problem... we'll probably discuss further with him.

:) Wah you got nice wood furniture. Where you got your wood furniture?? I am also into wood thou :P

saw ur t-blog - u got ur furniture fm unikhome? we ordered a mirror fm them too ;)

do post more pics of the furniture u got fm them in ur blog? only saw a pic of the tv console. so are most of ur furniture made of mahagony?

we ordered our furniture fm malaysia - it will be shipped fm indonesia tho, seems like most companies have their factories in indonesia.

saw ur t-blog - u got ur furniture fm unikhome? we ordered a mirror fm them too ;)

do post more pics of the furniture u got fm them in ur blog? only saw a pic of the tv console. so are most of ur furniture made of mahagony?

we ordered our furniture fm malaysia - it will be shipped fm indonesia tho, seems like most companies have their factories in indonesia.

Haha Thought you miss my post was waiting for your reply :P

Yap we got most of the furniture fm Unikhome.

1st buy: TV Console(Mahagony), Magazine Rack(Model: Lancer) & Bedframe(Model: Qubiq).

We recent went back to Unikhome to buy other things and are waiting for delivery in Aug.

New Buy: Display unit coffee table (Teak), Bedside table (Model: Soho) & Bookcase (Mahagony)

Nice le your wood furniture any website that I can see their product?? Ya lots of wood product are fm Indonesia.

Nice le your wood furniture any website that I can see their product?? Ya lots of wood product are fm Indonesia.

haha and so i replied

i see that you've bought quite a bit of furniture from them. i'm sure you're happy with the purchases :D

we were itching to buy more furniture from them on the day we ordered our 2m mirror but there isn't any more space we can put!

hmm i don't think you'll get to see much from my supplier's website on the products. they do a lot of customization upon request. perhaps that's the reason for the lack of pictures uploaded on their website. those furniture we saw at the showroom in KL looked pretty good. i hope the final products are sturdy and not wobby. we've been to a couple of teak furniture merchants in singapore. some of their chairs didn't seem too steady. it's as if they have legs of different length :|

side note: there are actually quite a few places in singapore selling such rustic or teakwood furniture and accessories

lim's arts @ holland village - shop space is much bigger than expected

www.gallery.278.com

hands gallery @ serangoon

www.pieceofmine.com.sg - recommended by my colleague, haven't went to the shop tho

www.journeyeast.com - chanced upon this website fm a magazine - will be checking it out

Edited by beany0811

haha and so i replied

i see that you've bought quite a bit of furniture from them. i'm sure you're happy with the purchases :D

we were itching to buy more furniture from them on the day we ordered our 2m mirror but there isn't any more space we can put!

hmm i don't think you'll get to see much from my supplier's website on the products. they do a lot of customization upon request. perhaps that's the reason for the lack of pictures uploaded on their website. those furniture we saw at the showroom in KL looked pretty good. i hope the final products are sturdy and not wobby. we've been to a couple of teak furniture merchants in singapore. some of their chairs didn't seem too steady. it's as if they have legs of different length :|

side note: there are actually quite a few places in singapore selling such rustic or teakwood furniture and accessories

lim's arts @ holland village - shop space is much bigger than expected

www.gallery.278.com

hands gallery @ serangoon

www.pieceofmine.com.sg - recommended by my colleague, haven't went to the shop tho

www.journeyeast.com - chanced upon this website fm a magazine - will be checking it out

:D I guess you also love wood as much as us :P Thanks for sharing the list of contact and your purchases I also have a list

which got 20+ addresses and contact where I got it from the SG Brides site.

Its not cheap getting wood furniture and I am sure you know too.. so Unikhome is cheaper with discount :P and have quite a nice range of product with simple design and not to mention we only like walnut colour LOL. As for accessories, we will be heading down to Thailand during Nov (Honeymoon)!!

Wood also got to take care a bit cannot expose to sunlight and must always polish. I buy the wax to polish as and when la... than also will leave water mark too so buy coaster to protect too. I still lack of 1 big big item to buy before I complete the house its the dinning table set.

I will post the pix later cause now I dun think quite nice w/o the curtain.

Edited by zerochristy

sure, we're looking forward to your pictures :) wow, you have 20+ merchants on your list? we only had at most 10+. so where do you intend to get your dining set? we're eyeing the mahogony dining set located on the left side when you enter Unikhome, before we purchased our customized set.

at Lim's, we say a daybed that we really liked. the vertical structure was made of timber of more than 12cm wide. looked really really good. unfortunately, the price was out of our reach :(

next on our hunting list is high density foam seat cushion of at least 12cm for our sofa set and daybed.

i think i got the same list fm sgbrides, heh.

been wanting to go to bali or thailand to source for furniture/accessories too, cos hearsay its much cheaper, but we just dun have the budget any more, esp after this reno thingy.

Hahah we got the same taste. We also eyeing the dinning set on the left side of the Unikhome entrance.

Day bed is nice but we like support when we lay on our back so did not take day bed. If you notice our sofa I think you would know what we mean.

I find Lim's things ex le.. maybe I on budget too so I can only see but cannot buy.

Bali is in our list too but it so happen that we want to go there something happen so I think its not lucky to go there :P so we change to Thailand... my hubby travel a lot so he got mileage to redeem ticket so we paid only the taxes for the ticket :D Somemore Thailand is much more cheaper than Bali in terms of food, transport and more. We will be heading to the weekend market in Thailand to do the shopping and its my birthday too Hahahaha.

Can la slowly buy la... cannot just jump and buy everything in one go it will kill de lor.

Hahah we got the same taste. We also eyeing the dinning set on the left side of the Unikhome entrance.

Day bed is nice but we like support when we lay on our back so did not take day bed. If you notice our sofa I think you would know what we mean.

I find Lim's things ex le.. maybe I on budget too so I can only see but cannot buy.

Bali is in our list too but it so happen that we want to go there something happen so I think its not lucky to go there :P so we change to Thailand... my hubby travel a lot so he got mileage to redeem ticket so we paid only the taxes for the ticket :D Somemore Thailand is much more cheaper than Bali in terms of food, transport and more. We will be heading to the weekend market in Thailand to do the shopping and its my birthday too Hahahaha.

Can la slowly buy la... cannot just jump and buy everything in one go it will kill de lor.

happy shopping there! i heard from a friend who just came back from BKK that there are plenty of decorative stuff that one can buy. i'm sure it will be a fruitful trip for the two of you :)

the daybed at Lim's was with back support, just like a 3 seat. couple it with a ceiling hung 'mosquito net' will give the living room a different look :)

Hi beany0811, older HDB flats all have uneven ceilings. You can patch it with plaster. And yes, depending on the condition of the ceiling, you could lose a few cm.

our ceilings and walls are worse than uneven. after the old electrical casings were removed, we realised tt the previous owners had plastered the walls before... after we tore the casings and old aircon trunkings down, plaster started peeling, and unsightly holes could be seen everywhere

now we have no choice but to plaster the affected areas, else the place will look like chicken pox

extra costs... :(

patchy and unsightly walls

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

Edited by beany0811

does anyone know if we can change the current letterbox to a new one?

i know the lock can be changed; how about the entire box? :dunno:

Beany, I think since your place is under upgrading, part of the programme will include changing the whole block's letter box to the new type. So don't worry about changing it and just wait. :)

Progress Update - End of Week 3

somehow, not much work has been done this week; the place seems pretty much as it was 1 week ago.

tiling will prob have to be completed before anything else can take place; marble for levelling up the balcony was only delivered this morning; hopefully we will be able to see more progress this coming week.

toilet accessories have also been delivered - wc and sink will be installed this coming week; but shower and racks probably towards the end; less chance of getting dirty, according to our ID.

plastering and painting will also commence

tv feature wall is up

IMG_0506.jpg

false ceiling up

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

learnt some new things along the way.

# those who are planning for glass-walled toilet - glass tied perpendicular onto glass will be unstable - it needs to be in a straight line, or have a piece of concrete to secure the 2 pieces of glass. as such, we have no choice but to give up the idea of a full glass walled toilet - have to build up a concrete wall so tt it will be more secure :(

mbr toilet with built-up wall

IMG_0508.jpg

cement laid @ balcony area - levelling it with marble (west sun attack - not even 3pm when pic was taken)

IMG_0495.jpg

Edited by beany0811