Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
beany0811

Somewhere In Bishan

another problem that we've been cracking our heads over this unit is the direct west sun for the living room. the walls do get really warm.

here's a picture of how a sunset casts light in the evening around 6+pm

IMG_0322.jpg

here's another picture taken at sunset

IMG_0321.jpg

Edited by beany0811

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Granite top usually comes in either 20mm or 40mm thickness. But I think most would opt for the latter.

The more popular choice of granite would be Indian granite - e.g. those black galaxy types.

:)

thanks, aj. asked our id about it, and he recommended increasing just the front profile of the granite to 40mm. it will then look 40mm from the front, but the actual depth of the surface is still 20mm thru'out. definitely more cost-economical. something new learnt too.

Hey beany... I had a similiar problem also.. but mine was the morning sun... so we decided to put up blinds.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=420359

Initially we wanted the vertical fabric sort so that the blinds can be drawn to the side. but those are very very lightweight and when blown they become super untidy. So we got these which were heavier. So far... even when it's windy they allow the wind through the pieces and don't blow and hit the window.. :) So it's quite good. :)

another problem that we've been cracking our heads over this unit is the direct west sun for the living room. the walls do get really warm.

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

if its just the evening sunset then not so bad. U'll need to 'hide' your unit if its sun 'attack' at 2-4pm.

Hey beany... I had a similiar problem also.. but mine was the morning sun... so we decided to put up blinds.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=420359

Initially we wanted the vertical fabric sort so that the blinds can be drawn to the side. but those are very very lightweight and when blown they become super untidy. So we got these which were heavier. So far... even when it's windy they allow the wind through the pieces and don't blow and hit the window.. :) So it's quite good. :)

thanks pinkpetter. did think of the wooden blinds thingy, but was worried about the wind problem. now that u say it wun cause the blinds to keep blowing and hitting the window, will prob go ahead and do it. :D

if its just the evening sunset then not so bad. U'll need to 'hide' your unit if its sun 'attack' at 2-4pm.

born_again, we haven't actually been in the unit from 2-4pm, but i think the unit does kenna the sun, tho the agent initially assured us it would only shine in about 20cm from the window (now we can all see its crap 8|

will prob be putting up blinds... maybe solar films too.

Progress Update: End of Week 1

# Fixtures removed and disposed of

# Electrical wiring removed and disposed of

# Old air-con removed and disposed; pending removal of trunking

# Walls demolished; debris removed

Kitchen walls demolished

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

Common Toilet - changing entrance to diff side

IMG_0339.jpg

New entrance to study room opened. Old one to the left will be sealed

IMG_0335.jpg

MBR Toilet walls down (never realised the toilet is so small)

IMG_0341.jpg

==> Next up, electrical works, tiling and masonry works....

Edited by beany0811

fwaaaaah, all looks so pretty! Hahaha! Sometimes I wonder what we would do without our parents. hahahahahha! What else you need? Then we can also contribute!

I still couldnt stop buying bodum glasses. So far, we already broke 3 (by 3 different people). But still can't resist the cup. This time I bought the short and fat ones with the cup handles. Hope it will last longer

fwaaaaah, all looks so pretty! Hahaha! Sometimes I wonder what we would do without our parents. hahahahahha! What else you need? Then we can also contribute!

I still couldnt stop buying bodum glasses. So far, we already broke 3 (by 3 different people). But still can't resist the cup. This time I bought the short and fat ones with the cup handles. Hope it will last longer

i suppose its good time to buy since Taka's sale is still on :P

Beany, are you planning to do an open concept toilet too? It'll look really great. :)

adrian_john, open concept toilet not very possible for us, cos the next block is too near... can look directly into our room from the opp block's kitchen. not an appealing thought, haha. tt's the prob when population density is super high.

we will be doing frosted glass for the mbr toilet.

any suggestions for common toilet doors apart fm bifold? ours is currently sliding aluminium/acrylic - din wanna do bifold; thinking whether can do any others besides glass? *crack head*

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

Same problem as my new flat. Anyway my current place also have direct afternoon sun, by the time we come back from work, the living and master bedroom are as hot as a furnace, take one to two hours of air con to cool it down.

The most effective way, I found out over the years, is to put solar film on the windows. Better than curtains and blinds. But you have to choose the car solar film, it is a lot more effective (and expensive).

BTW, the sunrise is beautiful.