Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
morriselma

Drill To A Concrete Wall

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Do you guys know if we can drill through the beam above the walkway between the kitchen and the living room? Easy?

Plan to hang a curtain there to contain the air-con in the living room.

Appreciate any advise :)

Do you guys know if we can drill through the beam above the walkway between the kitchen and the living room? Easy?

Plan to hang a curtain there to contain the air-con in the living room.

Appreciate any advise :)

If I am not mistaken, beams and structural stuff should not be drilled.

Regardless, if you do, if you hit any rebar, it will not go through.

You can use those adjustable rods that pushes against the walls.

IMM sells those.

Don't anyhow drill on walls if you have concealed wiring in the wall.. you may hit an electrical cable, water or gas pipe and the damage can be more than imagine.. find out where the cables and pipes are before drilling

Standard specification allows for 40mm of cover between surface of structural concrete to reinforcement bar for beams. Plus a 20-25mm thick plastering, I would not recommend any drilling more than 20mm. However, thickness of the plaster and structural concrete before hitting the reinforcement depends very much on the workmanship of the workers during constructions. If you just want to hang a curtain, I dont see why cannot. 1/2 inch screw should be sufficient to carry the weight of your curtain, unless of course if you are talking about glass curtain or other heavy materials.

How to know if you are drilling plaster or structural concrete. Well, when you are drilling and you can "go in" effortlessly, then most probably its just plastering. If you need to push hard to " go in", then most probably its structural concrete.

My 2 cents worth of comments.