Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jo_mummy

Stainless Steel Or Tempered Glass At The Back Of Cooker Hob?

Hi, anyone used tempered glass? Contractor told me stainless steel is more expensive than glass and I personally prefer tempered glass as it looks nicer than stainless steel.. can anyone gives me some advices here.. any reason u guys choose stainless steel? Thanks in advance..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi, anyone used tempered glass? Contractor told me stainless steel is more expensive than glass and I personally prefer tempered glass as it looks nicer than stainless steel.. can anyone gives me some advices here.. any reason u guys choose stainless steel? Thanks in advance..

I am also asking my ID to put a stainless steel sheet behind the hob. I agree that too that glass may look nicer, but want to hear what others who have used it have to say.

we had the same dilemma when deciding on the kitchen backing.

asked several people in this forum, and my own frens who have done their houses.

both glass and stainless steel are prone to staining, and they have to be cleaned regularly, or the marks can be quite ugly.

glass: prone to mould if ur contractor doesn't mound it properly and ensure water isn't able to seep into the backing between the wall and glass

s/s: will rust after a while, no matter how good ur s/s quality is. make sure ur contractor gives u good quality ones. also scratches more easily than glass.

fyi, we decided to use glass; my office uses a s/s backing; and after just 3 months, it looks gross. maybe lower grade s/s, and no one bothers to maintain it, since its just the office

Yeah...Me too have the same question- Glass or stainless steel?

Am using the stainless steel now but considering to use the tempered glass for the new house.

I think the reflection on the glass will make the kitchen looks bigger :D

Been using stainless steel for past ten years and it stained big time. So chose to use tempered glass this time round.

hmm.. i ask the supplier when he came down to take measurement..

he told me the glass is able to withstand heat.. but if really scare then can put those portable Aluminium tray type material

between the stove and the glass..

Just curios, will the heat from the cooking break the glass?

Guest melancholic

My 2 cents worth...

Personally I prefer glass to stainless steel backing. It looks brighter and you can choose any colour to paint on the backing. for s/s backing, it's not easy to install it smoothly. Some home owners will have the 'bubble' cos the glue was not strong enough etc.

I also find the cleaning of the glass easier.

cost wise, I find there's not much difference... especially if you have a reno contractor and not ID firm (at least that's my experience) And contractors can get the s/s backing 30% cheaper than IDs.

hmm.. i ask the supplier when he came down to take measurement..

he told me the glass is able to withstand heat.. but if really scare then can put those portable Aluminium tray type material

between the stove and the glass..

How much you did for your glass backing? Can PM me your contact?

hi mine is a tempered glass and have installed it for about 2 years. Pretty good, when finished cooking just wipe it and it is neat again. Good.

Hi guys. Thanks for ur reply and advices.. I have chosen tempered glass for backing..

Hi,

May I know how much your contractor quote you for the tempered glass?

My contractor quote me $500 for 10 ft run.

Is that expensive...he told me that is already very good price liao...