Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fivestar

Is living on the 2nd floor good?

Staying at 2nd floor with my parents. Pro and cons. Yes, got more mosquitoes and insects. We took some measures, we put mosquitoe nets onto our windows all year long, so those insects can't fly into our house. Not facing roads or schools, so the place very nice n quiet. But the views is not as good as high floors. Also those outdoors salesman will more likely to knock onto our doors, wic can be quite irritating. Also don't need to wait for lift, just run down the stairs. :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My parents' place is on the 2nd floor.

So far, no insect problems faced. Although occasionally, you get a bold bird perching on the clothesline peeking into the kitchen. Just throw a small piece of bread out to the grass below and they swoop away.

So far, there are some 'disavantages' but not too hard to live with:

- Noise levels: There's a bus stop in front of the block so the sound of buses will be there throughout the day. People-noise is still OK.

- Views: While no fantastic skyline views, but a park view is still pretty good. Also, staying on the 2nd floor makes it easier to watch your car at the parking lot from the kitchen window. Good for short-term visitors to 'escape' if the aunties pop by - faster to reach the car too. :)

- There seem to be a **** lot of sanitary pipes in the common toilet compared to other floors. But this was remedied with a box up.

So far the negative encounters were:

1) Pungent urine smell: This was quite persistent for a period of time. Seemed someone frequently urniated in a corner below the block. Highlighted the problem to HDB, they investigated and found out that it was an elderly lady who was often left to wander around below the void deck and she urinated there because her family didn't give her the key to get into the house until they got back. So since she had no toilet, she just peed at that area. HDB spoke to the family - Now, although the lady still hangs around the block, she got keys to go back to the toilet if she needs to.

2) Inconsiderate neighbours hanging wet, dripping clothes: Unfortunately, there are a few such people, thus being on the 2nd floor, you'll kenna the most, if not all of it.

stayed on 2nd floor before.. ants? no prob, the black pepper helps... BUT there was an incident whereby one of the units on the higher floor (duh!) did reno and the irresponsible contractor had things thrown into the pipes... the pipes choke and our whole unit flooded!!!! its a sunday nite, frantically called town council, they came hours later to open the pipe from first floor and out came cloth and debris.. worst still, the pipe downstairs is directly below our kitchen window.. our flat stinks, outside our flat also stinks! we shifting to 7th floor soon.. :)

I am staying at 2nd floor.

We chose this unit because its those left over flats from WIS and its only 5 min walk from MRT!

So for the convenience we settled at 2nd floor.

We had good unblocked view of the lovely "pine trees?" in front of our living room bay windows. We get quite good wind as our direction facing is good.

Insects problem.. well.. we have BIG ants crawling in, and mossies flying in at night. But we put ant poison and mossie net over our window and that solved our problem.

Overall.. it feels pretty much the same on whichever level, as i seldom look out of the window.. lol

According to me, the floor level doesnt matter much as long as you like your house and the location is good.

I too have lived on the highest level and now i am staying on 5th level only.

High levels are good provided there is a nice view . If you stay high,your house will be more bright.

Low levels have two main demerits - insects problems, less brightness if there are too many trees near your unit.

I am ok with low floors also if there is no blockage. I wont buy even a high level unit if it is blocked.

I prefer a mid level neither too high nor low.

hi,

may i know if any one has experience living above 'UC' ie Utility Centre at 1st Storey? What is it anyway?

I didn't manage to meet the house owner... I visited the unit arranged by the agent.. and we suggested a price $333K which the agent said that the owner agreed... but on the day we went there to pay the deposit... the agent said that the owner wanted to sell it to her friend... actually he hinted if we paid more... we can get it ... Just don't like the way that owner handle the issue like that... so we refuse to pay more... and at the end the unit sold to another buyer...

thank god you didnt get it.....$333k for a 2ndfloor...no way for me.

I've stayed before on the highest floor and also on 2nd floor of HDB flats.

2nd floor advantages:

1) good exercise, faster than taking lift, no waiting time.

2) not affected at all by any lift breakdowns

disadvantages:

1) cockroaches enter the house easily. eeeek!

2) no high floor views

High floor advantage:

1)view only

disadvantage

1) water from taps come out warm especially on hot day (highest floor)

2) in the event of lift breakdown, curse like crazy.

Overall, I prefer midfloor, 5th floor and above, where there's a view, yet not so high that the people on the ground look like ants. :sport-smiley-004: