Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bethel

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis

Anyone knows the proper way to clean laminates on kitchen cabinet? Just water and detergent will do?

Also, has anyone noticed that the mailbox slots are sometimes easy to open and sometimes locked? First time around last week, i thought somebody tampered with our mailboxes and that the inside lock was broken. Then yesterday, it seems okay leh...still firm, cannot push in. Why ah? :dunno:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

- What Would You Do If You Were Me? -

As we welcome more and more great people into the neighbourhood, and getting to know more neighbours who also become closer friends, do we ever think about whether our daily (inconsiderate) acts will cause inconvenience and even health hazards to our neighbours (aka friends)?

Recently, I have a neighbour who moved in about 2 months ago, staying above my unit. All is fine and well, until I noticed cigarette ash on my floor near the kitchen window as well as the dining area (which happens to be near the small window where the aircon ledge is). The cigarette ash fell onto my kitchen floor and the dining table in a lump size and ash-like particles. It has become almost a daily activity that we had to constantly look out for such ashes and doing our best to wipe them away or end up with dusty floor and table.

We spotted our neighbours (both husband and wife) smoking at the kitchen window and suspected the cigarette ash could come from them as they "conveniently" flicked the cigarette ash out of the window.

Imagine such ashes are falling on our dining table when we eat, on our clothes which I hung out for drying overnight and found ash sticking on them the next day morning, and on my kitchen floor after we had done with our vacuuming and mopping, and gosh.... 10-15 mins later, the black cigarette ash particles was spotted on the floor again!!! Argghhhh.....!!!!!

I believe we have come to live in a great neighbourhood and we should all the more spare a thought for each other. What can be "convenient" to us may caused inconvenience to others.

Dear neighbours, what would you do if you were me? :dunno:

As we welcome more and more great people into the neighbourhood, and getting to know more neighbours who also become closer friends, do we ever think about whether our daily (inconsiderate) acts will cause inconvenience and even health hazards to our neighbours (aka friends)?

Recently, I have a neighbour who moved in about 2 months ago, staying above my unit. All is fine and well, until I noticed cigarette ash on my floor near the kitchen window as well as the dining area (which happens to be near the small window where the aircon ledge is). The cigarette ash fell onto my kitchen floor and the dining table in a lump size and ash-like particles. It has become almost a daily activity that we had to constantly look out for such ashes and doing our best to wipe them away or end up with dusty floor and table.

We spotted our neighbours (both husband and wife) smoking at the kitchen window and suspected the cigarette ash could come from them as they "conveniently" flicked the cigarette ash out of the window.

Imagine such ashes are falling on our dining table when we eat, on our clothes which I hung out for drying overnight and found ash sticking on them the next day morning, and on my kitchen floor after we had done with our vacuuming and mopping, and gosh.... 10-15 mins later, the black cigarette ash particles was spotted on the floor again!!! Argghhhh.....!!!!!

I believe we have come to live in a great neighbourhood and we should all the more spare a thought for each other. What can be "convenient" to us may caused inconvenience to others.

almonddust, yours should be small thing la...i had an episode few weeks ago...dunno which neighbour from my level kept discarding their carton boxes, styrofoam boxes, reno stuffs at the rubbish chute area...it was so bad that we can't even reach the rubbish chute and we got no choice but to throw our daily rubbish together with the boxes etc...mind you, mine was rubbish from our dinner etc...yucks...i complained to town council, they cleared up and next day, it started again... :bleah:

and the funniest thing is the discard 2-3 ikea reusable bags containing unwanted boxes after they unpacked their things when moving in...maybe they too rich la...buy the ikea bags and throw away... :dunno:

if i were you, i will go up and talk nicely to them...maybe they dunno the ashes had caused such problems to you??? but then again, you can't stop them from not smoking the way they preferred because they wouldn't want to have ashes in their own house too... ;)

Hi almonddust

We had a different sort of problem. Almost every nite we smelled cigarette smoke at our living room. After tahan for a few days, my wife finally cannot take it anymore.

We brought our two kids down with us to the floor below us one nite and knock on the door. Imagine our surprise it was an old lady who opened the door. It wasn't her smoking. She was asleep. But we had a very good chat with her and found out actually she's a very nice lady.

Didn't solve our problem yet as now we have to guess whether it's the 38th floor resident. My advise, you can

approach them nicely and let them know how their ashes float down to your flat. I think talk to them nicely, they will understand. Good luck !

See u this Sun at the flr party.

hi yeoman, how much did mr kor charge you for each hinge?

I was charged $15 per hinge, right price not?

I heard some negative comments from sengkang dot com leh, how u find him so far?

Hmm, his original price was $15/hinge.

According to him, one of our forummer bargained with

him for $10/hinge and hence forth those who were so called

"introduced" to get the hinges done will get it at $10/hinge.

Key thing is to confirm with him the pricing of $10/hinge saying you

were introduced by someone from the blk to do up the hinges.

My neighbour also got it done at $10/hinge.

I find Mr Kor quite a nice guy. Quite chatty.. Told me lotsa stories

during installation. He even helped me "adjust" my gate so that my

Duro Lock can fit in. :sport-smiley-003:

Hmm, his original price was $15/hinge.

According to him, one of our forummer bargained with

him for $10/hinge and hence forth those who were so called

"introduced" to get the hinges done will get it at $10/hinge.

Key thing is to confirm with him the pricing of $10/hinge saying you

were introduced by someone from the blk to do up the hinges.

My neighbour also got it done at $10/hinge.

I find Mr Kor quite a nice guy. Quite chatty.. Told me lotsa stories

during installation. He even helped me "adjust" my gate so that my

Duro Lock can fit in. :sport-smiley-003:

My Duro lock also have abit of tight feeling when you close the gate, it means the gate can be adjusted for it to be smoother? :notti:

Some interesting reading to make you think on a Monday.

There are several simple reasons why many Singaporean employers are reluctant to give their maids a day off.

You see, if the maid runs away, the government will fine the employer $5,000. If the maid commits a crime

such as shoplifting, the government will fine the employer $5,000.

If the maid is caught having sex with someone, the government will fine the employer $5,000. If the maid

gets pregnant, the government will also fine the employer $5,000.

If you didn't know any of the above, then either you do not employ a maid, or you didn't read the

small print of the Manpower Ministry's work permit conditions.

Many employers are afraid that if their maid has a day off and gets into trouble, the employer will not only

have to solve the trouble, but also have to fork out $5,000 as a free gift to the government.

Intuitively, this smacks of gross unfairness. The employer gets punished not for something he did, but for

something that somebody else (the maid) did. Furthermore, once the maid leaves the employer's residence, the

employer has no way of monitoring where the maid goes and what she does there.

We may draw a curious parallel with Mas Selamat's escape, and PM Lee's determined, if

muddled, defence of Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng in Parliament.

Mas Selamat ran away. But PM Lee said that Wong Kan Seng was not at fault and should not be punished in any

way. The reason being that Wong Kan Seng personally did not do anything which allowed Mas Selamat to escape.

Strangely, if your maid runs away, it IS your fault and you SHOULD be punished. Even if you did not

personally do anything to let her run away (apart from giving her a day off).

Similarly, if your maid becomes pregnant, it IS your fault and you SHOULD be punished. Even if you did not

personally do anything to make her pregnant.

Oh well. What can I say? Maids are not terrorists. But then you are not Wong Kan Seng. So the

rules remain stacked against you. Wong Kan Seng gets off lightly, but you won't.

Even if his lapse has far greater, and graver, implications than yours.

Your runaway maid wouldn't blow up Changi Airport , would she? :bleah:

Nice 1. Wat to do...our beloved govt always seem to contradict themselves. Talk about covering your a$$ & making excuses. :P

There are several simple reasons why many Singaporean employers are reluctant to give their maids a day off.

You see, if the maid runs away, the government will fine the employer $5,000. If the maid commits a crime

If the maid is caught having sex with someone, the government will fine the employer $5,000. If the maid

If you didn't know any of the above, then either you do not employ a maid, or you didn't read the

Many employers are afraid that if their maid has a day off and gets into trouble, the employer will not only

have to solve the trouble, but also have to fork out $5,000 as a free gift to the government.

Intuitively, this smacks of gross unfairness. The employer gets punished not for something he did, but for

something that somebody else (the maid) did. Furthermore, once the maid leaves the employer's residence, the

We may draw a curious parallel with Mas Selamat's escape, and PM Lee's determined, if

Mas Selamat ran away. But PM Lee said that Wong Kan Seng was not at fault and should not be punished in any

way. The reason being that Wong Kan Seng personally did not do anything which allowed Mas Selamat to escape.

Strangely, if your maid runs away, it IS your fault and you SHOULD be punished. Even if you did not

Similarly, if your maid becomes pregnant, it IS your fault and you SHOULD be punished. Even if you did not

Oh well. What can I say? Maids are not terrorists. But then you are not Wong Kan Seng. So the

rules remain stacked against you. Wong Kan Seng gets off lightly, but you won't.

Edited by Vlanze

MILLION $$$ QUOTES FROM OUR MINI$TER$ :dancingqueen:

“…we have not got richer, Singapore has” - MM Lee Kuan Yew 26th June 2008, ST

“Hopefully he will touch on the idea that public responsibility is important. The Government could not be responsible for everything.” - MP Teo Ho Pin on the pending COI findings with regards to Mas Selamat’s escape, 19th April 2008, TODAYonline

“The co-worker was drawing men in droves to the coffee shop. This meant brisk business which, in turn, helped the local drinks lady keep her job.” - Minister Lim Boon Heng on foreign workers, 18th April 2008, ST, in an article titled “They’re young, they’re foreign, and they’re helping to save your job”

“Singaporeans are being complacent when they believe that the Government will take care of all security matters.” - MM Lee Kuan Yew on Mas Selamat’s escape, 5th April 2008, ST

“This was a lapse, what to do, it has happened.” - PM Lee Hsien Loong on the impact of Mas Selamat’s escape on Singapore’s reputation, 9th March 2008, ST

“This should have never have happened. I am sorry that it has.” - Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng on Mas Selamat’s escape 28th February 2008, CNA

(* Other than the apology, no explanation was given. Ironically, someone once infamously said, “sorry also must explain why” sometime in GE2006 over the James Gomez saga.)

“…10, 15, 20 opposition members in Parliament. Instead of spending my time thinking what is the right policy for Singapore, I’m going to spend all my time thinking what’s the right way to fix them, to buy my supporters votes…” - PM Lee Hsien Loong when asked about opposition, 3rd May 2006, CNA

“For a person who runs a million-dollar charitable organisation, S$600,000 is peanuts as [NKF] has a few hundred millions in reserves.” - Mrs. Goh Chok Tong on TT Durai’s salary, July 2005

“You’re getting a bargain for the ministers you get… I worked half as much and earn(ed) five times more when I was in the private sector.” - Manpower Minister Dr Ng Eng Hen, 9 September 2003, CNA

“Layoffs not all bad. If there are no retrenchments at all, then I worry for Singapore.” - PM Goh Chok Tong, 22nd March, 2003

“I regret making the decision because, in the end, the baby continued to be in intensive care, and KKH now runs a bill of more than $300,000.”

- Lim Hng Kiang on how he regretted intervening to admit a premature baby into KKH, 21st May 2002, ST

Today we cannot no longer call them maid but have to professionally address them as Domestic Assistance :seeya:

Let's go down to the Toa Payoh CC and ask if they have Tai Chi classes for working adults. Ask for those similar to what our million dollars minister are taking.

We need to learn this to survive in the office. So that when we make mistakes, we can Tai Chi to the person down the line and keep our low paying jobs :) .

Alternatively, we could migrate and come back as "Foreign Talents". Our world class garmen will certainly welcome us back with open arms. Foreign Talents are first class, citizens are 3rd class 8|

MILLION $$$ QUOTES FROM OUR MINI$TER$ :dancingqueen:

"…we have not got richer, Singapore has" - MM Lee Kuan Yew 26th June 2008, ST

"Hopefully he will touch on the idea that public responsibility is important. The Government could not be responsible for everything." - MP Teo Ho Pin on the pending COI findings with regards to Mas Selamat's escape, 19th April 2008, TODAYonline

"The co-worker was drawing men in droves to the coffee shop. This meant brisk business which, in turn, helped the local drinks lady keep her job." - Minister Lim Boon Heng on foreign workers, 18th April 2008, ST, in an article titled "They're young, they're foreign, and they're helping to save your job"

"Singaporeans are being complacent when they believe that the Government will take care of all security matters." - MM Lee Kuan Yew on Mas Selamat's escape, 5th April 2008, ST

"This was a lapse, what to do, it has happened." - PM Lee Hsien Loong on the impact of Mas Selamat's escape on Singapore's reputation, 9th March 2008, ST

"This should have never have happened. I am sorry that it has." - Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng on Mas Selamat's escape 28th February 2008, CNA

(* Other than the apology, no explanation was given. Ironically, someone once infamously said, "sorry also must explain why" sometime in GE2006 over the James Gomez saga.)

"…10, 15, 20 opposition members in Parliament. Instead of spending my time thinking what is the right policy for Singapore, I'm going to spend all my time thinking what's the right way to fix them, to buy my supporters votes…" - PM Lee Hsien Loong when asked about opposition, 3rd May 2006, CNA

"For a person who runs a million-dollar charitable organisation, S$600,000 is peanuts as [NKF] has a few hundred millions in reserves." - Mrs. Goh Chok Tong on TT Durai's salary, July 2005

"You're getting a bargain for the ministers you get… I worked half as much and earn(ed) five times more when I was in the private sector." - Manpower Minister Dr Ng Eng Hen, 9 September 2003, CNA

"Layoffs not all bad. If there are no retrenchments at all, then I worry for Singapore." - PM Goh Chok Tong, 22nd March, 2003

"I regret making the decision because, in the end, the baby continued to be in intensive care, and KKH now runs a bill of more than $300,000."

- Lim Hng Kiang on how he regretted intervening to admit a premature baby into KKH, 21st May 2002, ST

My though of the day -

Sometimes we need to think twice before we post. Face the heart and ask "Other than keeps on quoting MInisters' words, what do we expect in return? What can we gives or contributes to the nation other than simply complaining like typical Singaporean?.................

what is ur dog allergic to? that day u mention cannot get out of house right?? Am thinking of organising a dog run 1 weekday evening.. maybe zanie, shivan , babymaro, coco_mybibi etc can join in? hehee...

I have a B_I_T_C-H. Can I ask her to join you? :notti:

Edited by TPY