Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bethel

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis

Hi Meowie,

Hope u got positive news on ur nxt bill. Any good news to u, is gd news indeed to me! :dancingqueen:

hana,

u moved in already? Havent had news of u for a long time ... ehehhee.... :P

- What Would You Do If You Were Me? -

As we welcome more and more great people into the neighbourhood, and getting to know more neighbours who also become closer friends, do we ever think about whether our daily (inconsiderate) acts will cause inconvenience and even health hazards to our neighbours (aka friends)?

Recently, I have a neighbour who moved in about 2 months ago, staying above my unit. All is fine and well, until I noticed cigarette ash on my floor near the kitchen window as well as the dining area (which happens to be near the small window where the aircon ledge is). The cigarette ash fell onto my kitchen floor and the dining table in a lump size and ash-like particles. It has become almost a daily activity that we had to constantly look out for such ashes and doing our best to wipe them away or end up with dusty floor and table.

We spotted our neighbours (both husband and wife) smoking at the kitchen window and suspected the cigarette ash could come from them as they "conveniently" flicked the cigarette ash out of the window.

Imagine such ashes are falling on our dining table when we eat, on our clothes which I hung out for drying overnight and found ash sticking on them the next day morning, and on my kitchen floor after we had done with our vacuuming and mopping, and gosh.... 10-15 mins later, the black cigarette ash particles was spotted on the floor again!!! Argghhhh.....!!!!!

I believe we have come to live in a great neighbourhood and we should all the more spare a thought for each other. What can be "convenient" to us may caused inconvenience to others.

Dear neighbours, what would you do if you were me? :dunno:

hi almonddust,

perhap you can drop a gentle note on ur neighbour door? if they are understanding enough, then hehee... end of problem.. otherwise, report to town council??

:unsure:

I have a B_I_T_C-H. Can I ask her to join you? :notti:

yeah sure!! do you bring her to bishan dog run? me n some neighbours go to bishan quite often. Perhap can meet u there since u are not staying in Blk 79. :P

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Some interesting reading to make you think on a Monday.

There are several simple reasons why many Singaporean employers are reluctant to give their maids a day off.

You see, if the maid runs away, the government will fine the employer $5,000. If the maid commits a crime

such as shoplifting, the government will fine the employer $5,000.

If the maid is caught having sex with someone, the government will fine the employer $5,000. If the maid

gets pregnant, the government will also fine the employer $5,000.

If you didn't know any of the above, then either you do not employ a maid, or you didn't read the

small print of the Manpower Ministry's work permit conditions.

Many employers are afraid that if their maid has a day off and gets into trouble, the employer will not only

have to solve the trouble, but also have to fork out $5,000 as a free gift to the government.

Intuitively, this smacks of gross unfairness. The employer gets punished not for something he did, but for

something that somebody else (the maid) did. Furthermore, once the maid leaves the employer's residence, the

employer has no way of monitoring where the maid goes and what she does there.

We may draw a curious parallel with Mas Selamat's escape, and PM Lee's determined, if

muddled, defence of Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng in Parliament.

Mas Selamat ran away. But PM Lee said that Wong Kan Seng was not at fault and should not be punished in any

way. The reason being that Wong Kan Seng personally did not do anything which allowed Mas Selamat to escape.

Strangely, if your maid runs away, it IS your fault and you SHOULD be punished. Even if you did not

personally do anything to let her run away (apart from giving her a day off).

Similarly, if your maid becomes pregnant, it IS your fault and you SHOULD be punished. Even if you did not

personally do anything to make her pregnant.

Oh well. What can I say? Maids are not terrorists. But then you are not Wong Kan Seng. So the

rules remain stacked against you. Wong Kan Seng gets off lightly, but you won't.

Even if his lapse has far greater, and graver, implications than yours.

Your runaway maid wouldn't blow up Changi Airport , would she? :bleah:

Very good comments.. :good:

MILLION $$$ QUOTES FROM OUR MINI$TER$ :dancingqueen:

“This should have never have happened. I am sorry that it has.” - Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng on Mas Selamat’s escape 28th February 2008, CNA

(* Other than the apology, no explanation was given. Ironically, someone once infamously said, “sorry also must explain why” sometime in GE2006 over the James Gomez saga.)

$300,000.”

- Lim Hng Kiang on how he regretted intervening to admit a premature baby into KKH, 21st May 2002, ST

If you read this statement, this is in fact not an apology. He is saying that he is sorry that the incident happened. It doesn't mean that he is sorry that his men is at fault.

It's like when you visit your friend who has met with an accident at the hospital. You will usually say ' OH i am sorry to hear about your accident' . It doesn't mean that i am responsible for the accident.

If the govt wants us to contribute, sometimes they have to show that they are sincere in the first place.

- my neighbour dog very e irritating/nuisance, although its a small dog but its kinda fierce.

- everytime anybody walk pass their door, e dog wil bark, those loud loud type.

- their direct neighbour (door 2 door) havnt move in yet. If move in, i wonder how?

- got twice, wen e dog was not leased, at e corridor, it dashed 4ward at mi, barked & gif those 'arg arg' sound. i nearly wana kick e dog. :help:

- wen all dis happens, e owner simply call out e dog name & pull e dog's tail.

:wacko:

- wow. Gd suggestions. :good::idea:

- dat 1 is Alister?

- din noe, stay higher, get older faster.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hi Jacky,

Had u kicked it, we will see so-called BYJ being chased ard Blks 79 by a little doggie, a laughable sight & wun do ur reputation any good, haha. Mayb ur neighbor shud get doggie some toys to hv it preoccupied & not bark incessantly. Then again, I mayb wrong cos it's my brother who's da dog lover (tho I'm ok w them).

No la, I know tat1 not Alister, jus teasing him :notti:

Edited by Hana79

In celebration of Singapore's National Day, here's a little 45 minute documentary you might want to watch. It's sort of like taking the Red Pill... enjoy :yamseng:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...46551&hl=en

After watching the video for about 30mins, I am already depressed. We gave a cabinet S$40mil a year and they are asking more from us. :bangwall:

And a puppet head who goes around shaking Man U players is taking home S$3.9 mil a year. :bangwall::bangwall:

Anyone knows the proper way to clean laminates on kitchen cabinet? Just water and detergent will do?

Also, has anyone noticed that the mailbox slots are sometimes easy to open and sometimes locked? First time around last week, i thought somebody tampered with our mailboxes and that the inside lock was broken. Then yesterday, it seems okay leh...still firm, cannot push in. Why ah? :dunno:

- wat's wrong wif ur kitchen cabinet laminates?

- glue & stain can b removed by 'thinner'.

- 'thinner' can b purchase at DIY shop, cloth where 2 find, u shd noe lah.

- mayb u wana try out mildly 1st, then more 'thinner' if necessary.

- letter-box spoilt? Complain 2 Bishan-Toa Payoh Town Council.

:rolleyes:

As we welcome more and more great people into the neighbourhood, and getting to know more neighbours who also become closer friends, do we ever think about whether our daily (inconsiderate) acts will cause inconvenience and even health hazards to our neighbours (aka friends)?

Recently, I have a neighbour who moved in about 2 months ago, staying above my unit. All is fine and well, until I noticed cigarette ash on my floor near the kitchen window as well as the dining area (which happens to be near the small window where the aircon ledge is). The cigarette ash fell onto my kitchen floor and the dining table in a lump size and ash-like particles. It has become almost a daily activity that we had to constantly look out for such ashes and doing our best to wipe them away or end up with dusty floor and table.

We spotted our neighbours (both husband and wife) smoking at the kitchen window and suspected the cigarette ash could come from them as they "conveniently" flicked the cigarette ash out of the window.

Imagine such ashes are falling on our dining table when we eat, on our clothes which I hung out for drying overnight and found ash sticking on them the next day morning, and on my kitchen floor after we had done with our vacuuming and mopping, and gosh.... 10-15 mins later, the black cigarette ash particles was spotted on the floor again!!! Argghhhh.....!!!!!

I believe we have come to live in a great neighbourhood and we should all the more spare a thought for each other. What can be "convenient" to us may caused inconvenience to others.

hi almonddust,

perhap you can drop a gentle note on ur neighbour door? if they are understanding enough, then hehee... end of problem.. otherwise, report to town council??

:unsure:

- sooner or later, i wil go up & 'chit chat' wif them.

- b4 i do dat, i'l go buy a reasonable price ash tray.

- i cant control or prevent them 2 smoke. wen i go up, i'l gif excuses like, i'm allergic 2 tabacco, sensitive nose 2 cigarette's smell & nose wil 'run'. Let them win, let them feel dat i m e 'pity' 1.

- present them e ash tray gif. Make frnd wif them, let them noe u r givin ash tray 2 e nearby neighbours s door gif.

- then observe a few wks.

- if ash tray gif is useful & they r thoughtful, the i win liao.

- if ash tray gif is useless, then they cant blame mi 2b bad neighbour liao.

- i wil then need 2 complain 2 Town Council, say 'upstairs neighbour' olways throw cigarette butts dn frm their window.

- Town Council looks at 'Cigarette Butts throwing frm e window' beli seriously. Can b fined $1000 if kana caught.

:idea:

hana,

u moved in already? Havent had news of u for a long time ... ehehhee.... :P

hi almonddust,

- i dun think she hav moved in. Cos every time i walk along tpy ctrl, can only see ur unit's lights on, hers olways off.

- unless, she's e lomantic type or wana cut dn on electrical bill.

:notti:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- think i'm much lucky than many of u.

- everytime i walk along e corridor, 2wards my unit, my neighbour's dog wil greet mi.

- e dog wil stick her head out of e metal gate, call out 2 mi loudly til my neighbour ask her 2 stop.

- i feels so delighted.

- my neighbour olso beli environmental frndly, they'd placed pots of plants along e corridor.

- everyday i gota walk pass e puddle of sand/soil/dirty water.

- my neighbour olso beli thoughtful, they wil wash e corridor occasionally, sweep e dirty water frm their doorsteps 2 my doorstep & in2 e floortrap outside my main door.

- e nicest thing is, there is a floortrap jus outside their unit & their main door & my main door is at least 8 metres apart, while e pots of plants is further down frm their unit.

- so, m i lucky than any1 of u?

:wacko:

Ha. Now I remember you. Yes, we did talk on that day.

As for who is me. Clue - one with black hair lah. Alto I old, I not that old leh. The white hair handsome man is Strawberry FIL.

Are you going for the 13th July gathering at our 12th floor garden ? Anyone going beside the ones I know (Strawberry, Almonddust, Ms White, Zanie) ?

Hi Alister,

Good memory! Ya, I know da gentleman not u but ur clue 'v.good' ah, haha.

Yeah, I told Strawberry I wil attend da gathering. Dunno who else goin besides u ppl.. Catch up w u there! :yamseng:

Edited by Hana79

hi yeoman, how much did mr kor charge you for each hinge?

I was charged $15 per hinge, right price not?

I heard some negative comments from sengkang dot com leh, how u find him so far?

Hi Yeoman & Tension,

Due2 recent spate of posts re. changing hinges, I called HDB to enquire if we need 2reinforce our gates w such hinges.

2summarise their reply, our gates & hinges r not inferior in quality so, do not require replacemt of hinges.

The hinges face inwards ie. not exposed2 passersby so, not easily accessible. Knockin off any hinge (even if shouldered onto gate) is possible but knocking sound can be heard by neighbors. Even after destroyin hinges, above door got no Gap so, can't reach in & use tool 2remove Vertical iron bar tat holds gate (cos embedded into concrete). Besides, got 2nd iron "embedded/locked" into concrete ie. latch tat prevents gate from being opened wider (4admission of larger furniture pcs, etc).

But if burglars wanna CUT grills w tools for removal of gate then, there's hardly anythg u can do 2prevent. Accordingly, guy claim hinges weak just 2market his stuff.

P/s - I dunno hinges face wch way cos din luk closely. No offence to any1 who replaced/wanna replace hinges, jus relayin wat I heard frm HDB, for yr consideration/ref.

Hi Almonddust,

Suggest u talk2 couple & get their understandin as considerate neighbors. Tat is, by seeing it frm your point of view (as recipeint of their trash & in consideration of ur hsehold health & maintenance). Surely they dun wan their rooms 2b neighbor's litter ground, right?... Wishing u a positive response! :sport-smiley-003:

Edited by Hana79

Some interesting reading to make you think on a Monday.

There are several simple reasons why many Singaporean employers are reluctant to give their maids a day off.

You see, if the maid runs away, the government will fine the employer $5,000. If the maid commits a crime

such as shoplifting, the government will fine the employer $5,000.

If the maid is caught having sex with someone, the government will fine the employer $5,000. If the maid

gets pregnant, the government will also fine the employer $5,000.

If you didn't know any of the above, then either you do not employ a maid, or you didn't read the

small print of the Manpower Ministry's work permit conditions.

Many employers are afraid that if their maid has a day off and gets into trouble, the employer will not only

have to solve the trouble, but also have to fork out $5,000 as a free gift to the government.

Intuitively, this smacks of gross unfairness. The employer gets punished not for something he did, but for

something that somebody else (the maid) did. Furthermore, once the maid leaves the employer's residence, the

employer has no way of monitoring where the maid goes and what she does there.

We may draw a curious parallel with Mas Selamat's escape, and PM Lee's determined, if

muddled, defence of Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng in Parliament.

Mas Selamat ran away. But PM Lee said that Wong Kan Seng was not at fault and should not be punished in any

way. The reason being that Wong Kan Seng personally did not do anything which allowed Mas Selamat to escape.

Strangely, if your maid runs away, it IS your fault and you SHOULD be punished. Even if you did not

personally do anything to let her run away (apart from giving her a day off).

Similarly, if your maid becomes pregnant, it IS your fault and you SHOULD be punished. Even if you did not

personally do anything to make her pregnant.

Oh well. What can I say? Maids are not terrorists. But then you are not Wong Kan Seng. So the

rules remain stacked against you. Wong Kan Seng gets off lightly, but you won't.

Even if his lapse has far greater, and graver, implications than yours.

Your runaway maid wouldn't blow up Changi Airport , would she? :bleah:

Hi Alister,

Guess da msg tat came forth seem 2b tat Wong KS is indispensable while a maid isn't..? He's a talent, not 2b trashed over an incident tat occured down da chain while she aint no talent, foreign or otherwise so, some1 (employer) has 2pay if she fails..

Edited by Hana79

Oh, nothing is wrong actually, just wondering how to clean laminates on a regular basis, say after cooking or when they get dirty. Will try out the 'thinner' suggestion, thanks, Jacky!

My Duro lock also have abit of tight feeling when you close the gate, it means the gate can be adjusted for it to be smoother? :notti:

Yo bro, how's your reno?

Everything going smoothly?

Yes, my gate does have the tight feeling..

Think its because of the new hinges..

My initial problem is that the duro lock can't even

fit properly to my gate. Mr Kor was kind enough

to help me knock here twist there to close up the

gap for the gate so as to fit in the lock.

He even help me to file off some part of the gate to ensure

the lock will open smoothly (one turn of keyknob will trigger

the lock to open fully).

Jacky, like to check should I use "Thinner" - pronouce as "Tina" or "Turpentine" - pronouce as "Tar Pin" ??? I got paint stains on my bedroom door and metal gate

Tks :)

yeah sure!! do you bring her to bishan dog run? me n some neighbours go to bishan quite often. Perhap can meet u there since u are not staying in Blk 79. :P

Sure, what time is a good time? ?

Yo bro, how's your reno?

Everything going smoothly?

Yes, my gate does have the tight feeling..

Think its because of the new hinges..

My initial problem is that the duro lock can't even

fit properly to my gate. Mr Kor was kind enough

to help me knock here twist there to close up the

gap for the gate so as to fit in the lock.

He even help me to file off some part of the gate to ensure

the lock will open smoothly (one turn of keyknob will trigger

the lock to open fully).

My reno is going to be complete by this sat. Abit of additional carpentry and painting and solid surface top and electrical stuffs. Everything seems to be ok and up to expectations. :notti:

Sure, what time is a good time? ?

weekday : evening abt 5-6pm...

saturday : morning abt 9-10am...

sunday : evening abt 5-6pm...

hehe... not everyday also ar.... so perhap when we fix an outing, then u join us bah... :notti:

wat breed is ur dog?