Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bethel

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis

hi alister, we've checked on Mitsubishi & Toshiba.

Mitsubishi system 3 & 4 inverter @ $2738 & $3538 respectively (incl GST)

(12BTU, 2 x 9BTU) & (18BTU, 13 BTU, 2 x 9BTU) - if we don't recall wrongly, Armaflex Class 0, 3/8" insulation, Grade 23 SWG Totalline copper pipe, drainage pipe 16mm, compressor 5yr warranty, repair & parts 1yr warranty, 2 trips, unlimited piping length, only Mitsubishi COMPRESSOR is made in Japan. All else is assembled in Thailand.

Toshiba system 3 & 4 inverter @ $2456 & $3456 respectively (incl GST)

(12BTU, 2 x 9BTU) & (22BTU, 13 BTU, 2 x 9BTU), all else same as Mitsubishi but fully imported and made from Japan.

From next year onwards, no brands will be "Made in Japan". Next year onwards, there won't be any air-con with above 30,000 BTU as well as it will be controlled by NEA. The sales person, Bernard did mention that his prices will go no lower as they're certified under CaseTrust. He did caution that we might be able to get even cheaper prices outside but the quality and parts/material used for installation might not be what we'll be looking for. Even if we top up for it, as consumers we won't know if they've really given us what we paid for.

He said something about Best T**h promoting highly on Mitsubishi Heavy as it cools the room faster and it's cheaper cos it's catered more for industrial market. However, Mitsubishi Heavy is managed by another company. Therefore, if your a/c fails or requires attention, Mitsubishi Electric won't be responsible.

Oh..erm..before I forget, was told we won't be able to change the BTU division e.g. 12BTU (MBR), 2 x 9BTU (BR2 & 3) unless you top up. Otherwise, it's standard 3 x 9BTU (also known as 10BTU to some).

Hope my info is efficient.

Wah Ms White, your offer is better than mine. Your aircon configuration has a better specs and pricing looks so much better as well. Only think to note, you should upgrade the insulation to 1/2" to due with condensation problem.

Sorry dun understand the last para. Your quote is for 18BTU, 13 BTU, 2 x 9BTU, so not relevant to last para right ?

Is your pricing from Gain city ? Who is the sales person ?

Edited by alister

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Wah Ms White, your offer is better than mine. Your aircon configuration has a better specs and pricing looks so much better as well. Only think to note, you should upgrade the insulation to 1/2" to due with condensation problem.

Sorry dun understand the last para. Your quote is for 18BTU, 13 BTU, 2 x 9BTU, so not relevant to last para right ?

Is your pricing from Gain city ? Who is the sales person ?

Yes, we did ask him for 1/2" but 1/2" goes with Class 1 (probably as in your case). He said 3/8" with Class 0 is good enough cos Class 0's density is better already. But if we insist on 1/2", top up lor. So we stood with what will be given. Anyway, he said he can't cheat us or CaseTrust will look for them.

I'm sorry. I mean the division is normally e.g. for sys 3 is standard (3 x 9BTU) or (3 x 10BTU) right? We're able to get (12BTU) for MBR, whereas the other 2 rooms remain at (9BTU) at the given price. Which also means our MBR will cool faster too but it won't affect the other rooms. Ideally, piping should also run as short as possible to minimise condensation.

Ours from AllBest, 3rd floor. Sales person is uncle Bernard :notti: Was also told by him...dunno how true lah...that Mitsubishi & Toshiba only gave them 1 mth to promote the "not standard" BTU config..so last day, if you want, is Wed. Afterwhich, it's back to standard (3 x 9BTU) etc (no change in the prices, so don't worry :notti: )..and to change BTU config, must add $$.

I didn't take note but Dino was there with me. I think she asked for the pricing. Maybe she wrote down somewhere. Let's wait for her to login.

Hi sdale, does the price incl 1/2" insulation upgrade, 2 trips and with GST ? If yes, then you really got a better pricing. I am getting my ID to get a quote from his regular aircon supplier, see if can get better pricing. I think I will also get my ID to call gain city as well. Thanks for your tips.

Tension_Z, it's true. The basic package is really, well ... basic. Eg kitchen cabinet maybe top form, you might want to upgrade to solid top or granite top. That will add money. Laminated flooring maybe AC3, min should get AC4 grade. Homo tiles maybe $2.50 psf, u have to top up the difference. Trust me, there is not much to choose from $2.50 range.

They will also chop you on wardrobe, extra feet of kitchen cabinet, feature walls and any additional items.

yup, everything is the same.

Gain bought fr gain city because they offer good service and installation. If you ask at Marina sq they are much more expensive, quote me 3850. :notti:

Sales person is uncle Bernard :P Was also told by him...dunno how true lah...that Mitsubishi & Toshiba only gave them 1 mth to promote the "not standard" BTU config..so last day, if you want, is Wed. Afterwhich, it's back to standard (3 x 9BTU) etc (no change in the prices, so don't worry :lol: )..and to change BTU config, must add $$.

Ms White

Don't worry abt Uncle Bernard's quote for the 1 month promo ending wed. When I went for the Gracious Home exhibition at Expo on 13 Oct, they also told me about the same promo. The only diff is that they said that the promo will end when the exhibition ends. The fact that it has dragged till wed (as what they have quoted for you) means that it can and will drag somemore since they want your business. I think their promo is very flexi one. :notti:

Alister, Strawberry, Bonkitty

Thanks for your advice on pils. Hmm... Seeing how stubborn they are, chances are they wun bother about all explanations, esp 30 years ago, they did the same thing, meaning they did their floors then the rest comes in slowly.... :notti:

Anyways, I think I will not change my mind either as I am also a very stubborn person. :dunno:

Let's arrange another meeting again for updates on each other's flats leh... The potluck was quite fun. :notti::lol:

Edited by zanie98

thanks.. I wonder whether they will just do the 12888, if I do nt do any carpentary.

I am so tired actually.

Been to expo,

been to ID firms near our place,

been to relative's recommendation...

the more I visit,

the more confused I am.

is there any chance where contractor try to act as a designer?

Tsk.

The problem I am facing now is ....

I have quotations from as low as 19k up to 30k...

rather similar requirement...just perhaps maybe the diff. materials the ID use...I also dont know.

but as you know, no one will do any concrete drawings when you haven't sign the dotted line.

it is like I have to sign based on good gut feel which I haven't develop with any...

the most expensive doesn't even come with any aircon or whatsoever..

headache :dunno:

Really pity your situation...but I can understand how confusing the reno project can be. At the end of the day, we all have to accept that there is no such thing as the perfect package. We will just have to make the best possible decision and then try to make the best out of it - that's why chemistry with your ID or contractor will be a very important ingredient....Wish you all the best!

Edited by gadgetman

Yes, we did ask him for 1/2" but 1/2" goes with Class 1 (probably as in your case). He said 3/8" with Class 0 is good enough cos Class 0's density is better already. But if we insist on 1/2", top up lor. So we stood with what will be given. Anyway, he said he can't cheat us or CaseTrust will look for them.

I'm sorry. I mean the division is normally e.g. for sys 3 is standard (3 x 9BTU) or (3 x 10BTU) right? We're able to get (12BTU) for MBR, whereas the other 2 rooms remain at (9BTU) at the given price. Which also means our MBR will cool faster too but it won't affect the other rooms. Ideally, piping should also run as short as possible to minimise condensation.

Ours from AllBest, 3rd floor. Sales person is uncle Bernard :dunno: Was also told by him...dunno how true lah...that Mitsubishi & Toshiba only gave them 1 mth to promote the "not standard" BTU config..so last day, if you want, is Wed. Afterwhich, it's back to standard (3 x 9BTU) etc (no change in the prices, so don't worry :) )..and to change BTU config, must add $$.

Hi Ms White & Alister..

have you check with Twincity? how is their quote to you? is it more ex? cos i tot their pricing and service was quite good hence introduced to all that time..

I was also told by Twin that 'made in Japan' & the 30000BTU thingy is soon facing out.

also my frd got bad experience with Allbest.. not sure why but something to do with piping one. think like they will pipe in the shortest way (but also the ugliest way) so cannot fit in their design or something.. but they are certified la, so maybe more safe also..

Really pity your situation...but I can understand how confusing the reno project can be. At the end of the day, we all have to accept that there is no such thing as the perfect package. We will just have to make the best possible decision and then try to make the best out of it - that's why chemistry with your ID or contractor will be a very important ingredient....Wish you all the best!

Here are some things that I WOULD HAVE done, if I have another go at a renovation project. You may like to consider them as well....(at your own risk!)

:) Invest in some recent renovation magazines to take note of the ideas you like to incorportate

:) Talk to some IDs and renovators to get an idea of how much basic renovation of a reasonable quality will cost. These will include, Flooring, Ceiling, Electrical, Plumbing, Kitchen Cabinets and Toilets. As these areas are all standard items, price comparison will be easy across different IDs

:help: On top of these items, add those items in your wish-list to see how much more they will add to your budget. These are the items that will detemine the final cost of your renovation, so even if the ID can give a very good quote for basic reno, it adds up to nothing if they start to chop you here!! Be ready to drop and modify ideas that may not fit into your budget.

:) Rule-of-Thumb - Buying ready-made furnitures will be cheaper than to custom built. Therefore, unless you have good reason to have built-in (space constraints, design considerations etc), try not to have too much built-in. Check out Furniture Mall, Ikea, V-Hive, Barang Barang and even places like I waana go Home to see the range of ready-made furnitues that can potentially fit your place. Remember to invest in a good measuring tape so that you can be sure that what you have in mind will fit into the room!

:notti: Remember - Built-in items are not necesary nicer or more practical! Do not fall into the trap of feeling obligated to have customised items to give your house an unique look. These will definitely add in to your cost, but may not necessary make your house look better!

:notti: Allow some buffer in your budget for some luxury items. There will be beautiful lights and toilet accessories that will be very tempting later on - make sure you have enough budget to cover these as well

:notti: Make sure you list down all the extra costs so that you can know exactly how much the total cost will be. these include: Haulage, PE fees, provisions for electircal appliances and furntures etc. Your budget will easily spiral out of control if you do not make early provisions for these necessary items.

:notti: Last but not least, go with an ID that you are comfortable with. I went with mine because he sounded knowledgeable and confident and he has an easy-going style. It is important to work with someone whom you can trust and whom you believe can understand your vision and needs clearly.

:notti: One final word: Expect plenty of hickups and problem-solving even with all the above in place! There is no such thing as a perfect renovation project. There will be plenty of occasions for you to change your designs and ideas mid-way. But stay true to your vision of your future home and try to work towards that as much as you can. I have already had my share of problems and some of the U-turns are quite costly. It will be very easy to say "you should have thought of that earlier" now, but this is real-life and trust-me, problems do happen even with the best 3-D drawings and planning! But that's also the fun and challenging part of the renovation project! Enjoy! :dunno:

Hi Ms White & Alister..

have you check with Twincity? how is their quote to you? is it more ex? cos i tot their pricing and service was quite good hence introduced to all that time..

I was also told by Twin that 'made in Japan' & the 30000BTU thingy is soon facing out.

also my frd got bad experience with Allbest.. not sure why but something to do with piping one. think like they will pipe in the shortest way (but also the ugliest way) so cannot fit in their design or something.. but they are certified la, so maybe more safe also..

Hi Josephine

I have not check with Twincity on the pricing. Will do that as 'highly' recommendated by you.

And yes, I heard 'alot of stories' about Allbest. Can read up on singaporebrides under home and deco - aircon. I will give them a miss as I dun want any headache later on. But others also doesn't not have any problem with them, so it's all abt luck maybe ?

For those who want to install rain-shower:

Please take note of the height allowance between the bathroom mixer and the max ceiling of your toilet before committing on your Rain-shower set!

I have measured my MBR toilet and the clearance is only 98cm max. Most rain-shower sets have height beyond 1m and are not adjustable!

I have settled for a mix-n-match solution in the end. Bought a stand-alone rain-shower pipe with adjustable height. This will be connected to the bathroom mixer tap by a hose from below. I think this is the only workable solution, the other two ways is to either increse the ceiling height (near to impossible) or move the tap lower (will not look very nice according to my ID cos will have to expose more pipes).

You have been warned!! :dunno:

Here are some things that I WOULD HAVE done, if I have another go at a renovation project. You may like to consider them as well....(at your own risk!)

:notti: Invest in some recent renovation magazines to take note of the ideas you like to incorportate

:notti: Talk to some IDs and renovators to get an idea of how much basic renovation of a reasonable quality will cost. These will include, Flooring, Ceiling, Electrical, Plumbing, Kitchen Cabinets and Toilets. As these areas are all standard items, price comparison will be easy across different IDs

:notti: On top of these items, add those items in your wish-list to see how much more they will add to your budget. These are the items that will detemine the final cost of your renovation, so even if the ID can give a very good quote for basic reno, it adds up to nothing if they start to chop you here!! Be ready to drop and modify ideas that may not fit into your budget.

:notti: Rule-of-Thumb - Buying ready-made furnitures will be cheaper than to custom built. Therefore, unless you have good reason to have built-in (space constraints, design considerations etc), try not to have too much built-in. Check out Furniture Mall, Ikea, V-Hive, Barang Barang and even places like I waana go Home to see the range of ready-made furnitues that can potentially fit your place. Remember to invest in a good measuring tape so that you can be sure that what you have in mind will fit into the room!

:notti: Remember - Built-in items are not necesary nicer or more practical! Do not fall into the trap of feeling obligated to have customised items to give your house an unique look. These will definitely add in to your cost, but may not necessary make your house look better!

:notti: Allow some buffer in your budget for some luxury items. There will be beautiful lights and toilet accessories that will be very tempting later on - make sure you have enough budget to cover these as well

:notti: Make sure you list down all the extra costs so that you can know exactly how much the total cost will be. these include: Haulage, PE fees, provisions for electircal appliances and furntures etc. Your budget will easily spiral out of control if you do not make early provisions for these necessary items.

:notti: Last but not least, go with an ID that you are comfortable with. I went with mine because he sounded knowledgeable and confident and he has an easy-going style. It is important to work with someone whom you can trust and whom you believe can understand your vision and needs clearly.

:notti: One final word: Expect plenty of hickups and problem-solving even with all the above in place! There is no such thing as a perfect renovation project. There will be plenty of occasions for you to change your designs and ideas mid-way. But stay true to your vision of your future home and try to work towards that as much as you can. I have already had my share of problems and some of the U-turns are quite costly. It will be very easy to say "you should have thought of that earlier" now, but this is real-life and trust-me, problems do happen even with the best 3-D drawings and planning! But that's also the fun and challenging part of the renovation project! Enjoy! :yamseng:

Wah what a detailed write-up! :D

I have something to add as well...

After you shortlist the IDs that you are comfortable with, go and view houses they have done or are doing now to see the workmanship of the laying of tiles and the carpentry. I have seen IDs with horrible carpentry. :no:

Another reason we should view those houses is also to see if u like the design style of that house which the ID has designed. Becoz quite likely IDs tend towards a certain kind of design and all houses they do will have that similar 'feel'. For eg, an ID might like woodgrain laminates alot..so he will always suggest owners to use that. But not all owners like woodgrain.

But of coz, ultimately, u are the owner and can always choose whatever u like for ur house regardless of what the ID suggests. :paint:

Aiyoh.....

The HDB contractor who is doing the cement screed for us for FOC just called me. As my concept for the kitchen is just to have cement screeded floor, he asked me if I want him to cement screed my floor nicely for me. :D

Alamak! Arent they supposed to cement screed nicely irregardless of what I'm going to do to the floor? Then he said in chinese" if you want me me to screed nicely for you, then you must give us some ........" :yamseng:

Har? What happened to integrity and professionalism? What does he mean by I must give him ...... to cement screed my floor nicely for me? Isn't he supposed to cement screed nicely and I am not supposed to pay him? :notti:

Sigh... The reno for my new flat doesn't seem to be going smoothly so far..... :paint::notti:

Edited by zanie98

Hi Ms White & Alister..

sorry josephine or anyone,

can advise the contact number of Twincity.

try yellow page but cannot find this company name leh. :notti:

tia.

Aiyoh.....

The HDB contractor who is doing the cement screed for us for FOC just called me. As my concept for the kitchen is just to have cement screeded floor, he asked me if I want him to cement screed my floor nicely for me. :D

Alamak! Arent they supposed to cement screed nicely irregardless of what I'm going to do to the floor? Then he said in chinese" if you want me me to screed nicely for you, then you must give us some ........" :paint:

Har? What happened to integrity and professionalism? What does he mean by I must give him ...... to cement screed my floor nicely for me? Isn't he supposed to cement screed nicely and I am not supposed to pay him? :notti:

Sigh... The reno for my new flat doesn't seem to be going smoothly so far..... :notti::notti:

for contractor - there's not such thing as professionalism or integrity - only kopi money.

this is really bad. :yamseng:

anybody have this same issue, pls advise as i will also be doing cement screed.

tia.

Hi everyone!

I am from Blk C. New to this forum. Am looking for an ID now. Anyone's unit open for viewing? Thanks!

Hi 'lifeisocrappy', why such a nickname ?

Welcome to TPY blk 79 community. You can go to 79C 40th floor, there is a flat already done up by contractor for viewing. But an owner at lower flat make a face when I mention abt that contractor, so be forewarned.

Just got a small piece of good news from my ID....He has asked the PE to reduce his fees for me since we are not going ahead with the hacking. This means that he does not have to spend time on a site visit and also, he does not have to bear the added responsibility after the hacking.

The PE initially said that it is not possible as fees are fixed, but he has made an exception this time based on his long-term dealings with my ID...

The discount is not very substantial (just $100) but still this is better than nothing!

Kudos to my ID!