Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fromnuaa

anyone install Ethernet cable and port at home?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Why not! Lan cable is still much better than wireless.

Agree. Up to 100Mbs and no security problems and no or less disconnects. Ideal for streaming media to display TV/Projector. Inexpensive too.

I have a LAN cable running from my study to the front of my hall. I just wished I thought of wiring up my master bed room as well as hiding a printer or router in a cupboard or storeroom.

Agree. Up to 100Mbs and no security problems and no or less disconnects. Ideal for streaming media to display TV/Projector. Inexpensive too.

I have a LAN cable running from my study to the front of my hall. I just wished I thought of wiring up my master bed room as well as hiding a printer or router in a cupboard or storeroom.

not all houses (especially those with funny structures) can use wireless - signal cant pass thru 2 layers of concrete wall.

not all houses (especially those with funny structures) can use wireless - signal cant pass thru 2 layers of concrete wall.

just checking.. normally do u guys lay the LAN point in the ground as in encase below the tiles and cement or on the walls with casing? wat if the LAN is faulty then how to rectify if beneath the floor tiles..?

just checking.. normally do u guys lay the LAN point in the ground as in encase below the tiles and cement or on the walls with casing? wat if the LAN is faulty then how to rectify if beneath the floor tiles..?

If I were to do it, definitely not under the floor tiles. Have to think about troubleshooting.

Cannot rectify lor - same for those who conceal aircon ducting, SCV cables and electrical wirings.

You dowan to see ugly cables then this is the risk you have to take...

Cannot rectify lor - same for those who conceal aircon ducting, SCV cables and electrical wirings.

You dowan to see ugly cables then this is the risk you have to take...

yeah very hard, unless you put cable inside pvc pipe.

at least still can pull it out and replace :good:

better use wireless, can use wireless N if you need stronger signal and faster :dancingqueen:

Edited by simeiz

oh ya hor..never tot of pvc casing on top of the wire at least still can pull out..

not sure how my bf want to do the LAN point. he says wants to terminate a point **** room to stream movies from a computer or hardisk to the TV or something and wireless maybe not stable bah..i'm quite

confused sometimes... :notti:

Normally the wires are not concealed but in casing as it's much cheaper. The LAN wiring will usually not be faulty if you use good cables such as Belden, AMP, etc.

I will also be doing up LAN for my place too. My plan is to run CAT6 cables throughout as it will support the future 10Gbps standard in the future (less than 55m). Each room will have a 2 port LAN socket leading into the storeroom where i have a 24 port patch panel. From the storeroom, i can configure my LAN whichever way i want plus i can also assign any port to be ethernet or telephone (POTS). The best part is my modem/router can reside in the storeroom making it less unsightly.

Some may ask, why go through the trouble when wireless-N is just round the corner. Now those wireless speeds are just theoretical speeds. Try using one in a neighbourhood cramped with other B/G signals and you'll find your speed drops dramatically. Also, i plan to put a NAS in the study to act as the file server in the house. THis is where gigabit or 10gbit speeds are useful.

Remember, never think whatever speed we have now is enough. People used to say we never needed gigabit. Now gigabit is so common, some people are complaining that it's slow. Try to plan for the future since the cost of cat6 vs cat5e is only about 20-30% difference. Bear in mind that the jacks and the connectors must be cat6 as well. Also try to DIY as getting someone to run and install cat6 networking for you is going to cost a bomb. Last of all, i can't emphasize enough, please buy reputable cables, not some cheapo china or unknown brands. All cables are NOT equal.

Normally the wires are not concealed but in casing as it's much cheaper. The LAN wiring will usually not be faulty if you use good cables such as Belden, AMP, etc.

I will also be doing up LAN for my place too. My plan is to run CAT6 cables throughout as it will support the future 10Gbps standard in the future (less than 55m). Each room will have a 2 port LAN socket leading into the storeroom where i have a 24 port patch panel. From the storeroom, i can configure my LAN whichever way i want plus i can also assign any port to be ethernet or telephone (POTS). The best part is my modem/router can reside in the storeroom making it less unsightly.

Some may ask, why go through the trouble when wireless-N is just round the corner. Now those wireless speeds are just theoretical speeds. Try using one in a neighbourhood cramped with other B/G signals and you'll find your speed drops dramatically. Also, i plan to put a NAS in the study to act as the file server in the house. THis is where gigabit or 10gbit speeds are useful.

Remember, never think whatever speed we have now is enough. People used to say we never needed gigabit. Now gigabit is so common, some people are complaining that it's slow. Try to plan for the future since the cost of cat6 vs cat5e is only about 20-30% difference. Bear in mind that the jacks and the connectors must be cat6 as well. Also try to DIY as getting someone to run and install cat6 networking for you is going to cost a bomb. Last of all, i can't emphasize enough, please buy reputable cables, not some cheapo china or unknown brands. All cables are NOT equal.

How big is your house? And how much cable you will need for it? Are you running for every room (bed, living, kitchen, store)?

How big is your house? And how much cable you will need for it? Are you running for every room (bed, living, kitchen, store)?

Mine's a 5-room flat. I'll be running points to 3 bedrooms, hall and dining. I don't really exactly how much i need so i bought a reel of 305m CAT6 cable.

Mine's a 5-room flat. I'll be running points to 3 bedrooms, hall and dining. I don't really exactly how much i need so i bought a reel of 305m CAT6 cable.

Thanks...I am still considering...*tempted*

hmm... wiring the whole house is a bit funny to me. maybe a mixture of wired and wireless will be more feasible. are all ur systems going to be all over the house ?

security wise can just set a 128-bit WEP key or if u prefer, filter the systems by using the MAC address. like some others who has raised a point here, concealing ur cables would mean problems in troubleshooting later on. sure buying better cables and such but u know with computers and murphy's law "what can go wrong will go wrong" !!

The IT show starts today. You can buy the Aztech Homeplugs HL108 and use the typical electrical wall sockets to connect up to speeds of 200 Mbps without running Cat 5e cables all over.

Think this is a very neat and elegant solution. I am planning to use this method with wireless for my place.

anyone install Ethernet cable and port at home?

i want to install 8 ethernet ports at home:

living room: 2

studying room:2

store room: 1

master bed room: 1

bed room 1:1

bed room 2:1

all ethernet cables are integrated at store room, i want to put a hub or router there....

anyone has such experience about it? can it be installed with telephone and tv cable together?