Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
liszal

Shelter For Wet Kitchen

My huge outdoor bamboo blinds currently used to shelter from rain and sun have started to disintegrate (only lasted 3 years). I need desperate measures to replace them, but don't want to waste $$ on short term solutions.

Anyone has used plastic or canvas blinds for this, and any advise if I should get them?

How about awning? I've read that polycarbonate expands over time,n wont last, so not a good idea as I get a lot of sun in that area. Anyone knows where I can get reasonable awnings fitted, which won't look like those in the 60s?

Appreciate your help, thank you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
My huge outdoor bamboo blinds currently used to shelter from rain and sun have started to disintegrate (only lasted 3 years). I need desperate measures to replace them, but don't want to waste $$ on short term solutions.

Anyone has used plastic or canvas blinds for this, and any advise if I should get them?

How about awning? I've read that polycarbonate expands over time,n wont last, so not a good idea as I get a lot of sun in that area. Anyone knows where I can get reasonable awnings fitted, which won't look like those in the 60s?

You may want to try the retractable type of awning.

I am not sure if u are referring to horizontal protection or vertical protection.

Surely u can't be using bamboo as the roof right? but U also mentioned awnings??

Anyway, consider using the polycarbonate type of structure, but instead of poly, use aluminium composite panels. Basically, is aluminium sheet, but stuck to foam. Is commonly used by LTA for covered walkways now.

http://www.dama.com.sg/aluminium-composite-panel.htm

Have you found a solution? I am looking to do an awning for my wet kitchen/yard as 30% of the area is exposed, I cannot understand why it was not covered fully in the first place.

cheers

WD

Have you found a solution? I am looking to do an awning for my wet kitchen/yard as 30% of the area is exposed, I cannot understand why it was not covered fully in the first place.

cheers

WD

maybe for ventilation? or for sunlight to come thru for drying out clothes?

maybe for ventilation? or for sunlight to come thru for drying out clothes?

I say too much sunlight... :P

Btw, I am really thinking of buying the big ice cream umbrella to provide the shade.

horizontal = best to use tiled roof for shelter for the following reasons

+) more sound proof than plastic (PC material)

+) no maintenance (no algae growth) but u shd choose glazed tiles instead of i think they call it matt surface which can turn black over time (more than 10yr)

+) can install lights and fans underneath the false ceiling

+) nicer, clean finishing. Even if the bird **** on it, you cannot see unlike glass or PC or whatever cheaper plastic ppl use these days

-) expensive, need contractor to install

-) pls do waterproofing properly else might leak

horizontal = awning

-) slow just that when it rains, if u are late in lowering the awning, it'll take some time and it uses some kind of motor which needs to be maintained.

-) motor can be damaged by lightning. Our old place got kind of short circuited during lightning so $$ to repair blah blah blah.

-) noisy when it rains heavily. So noisy u cannot hear the next person talk coz the rain goes pah pah pah on your awning.

-) harder to clean, there'll be algae over time and can be awful when you view from above (say your bedroom?).

+) FULL SUNLIGHT when u want as opposed to tiled, once sheltered is shelter cannot be removed.

**But if i'm not wrong, awning does last for more than 5yr. Basically we converted from awning to roof tiles.

vertical solution = we did leave a gap probably about 30cm from the tiled roof to the boundary wall for

a) ventilation so u still get a breeze else can be stuffy if u enclose everything

b) light (we grow plants at the boundary so they need light)

c) we use this gap for drying clothes (again u need light)

Some use shower curtains as cheapskate solution for vertical shelter to prevent rain from reaching the kitchen when the wind blows. It works but they need to be replaced and u need to get the heavy duty kind not those from ikea. These provide shade too from afternoon sun and of coz super cheap to install but they are FUGLY. Unless yours is a rented property, this solves the problem.