Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
floorplain

Bamboo Flooring Versus Others - What's The Best?

Hi does anyone know how much bamboo flooring costs compared to parquet or other hardwood floors? Just what would I be paying for -- is it just trendy, or is it worth the money in the longrun? Would appreciate any help. Thank you!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

I was quoted about $6 - $8/ft for parquet and about 13.50/ft for bamboo flooring.

basically, bamboo is environmental friendly since it uses commercial grown bamboo and it takes only 3 to 5 years to harvest, vs wood for parquet need trees that grow for 10 years and above. to me, both look quite the same la. just that bamboo flooring looks more solid.

i was told bamboo flooring 20% harder than parquet. and star bamboo offer lifetime guarantee for their flooring. but contractor friends said there will be grooves in between bamboo cos it's already factory treated, or something like that la.... can't remember... if you have the chance, take a closer look at bamboo floor vs parquet floor. you will notice that parquet more flat after sanded... i did and really see the grooves lor.

my bamboo dream was dashed cos of the height of my floor. in the end, i used maplewood.

Hi,

I was quoted about $6 - $8/ft for parquet and about 13.50/ft for bamboo flooring.

basically, bamboo is environmental friendly since it uses commercial grown bamboo and it takes only 3 to 5 years to harvest, vs wood for parquet need trees that grow for 10 years and above. to me, both look quite the same la. just that bamboo flooring looks more solid.

i was told bamboo flooring 20% harder than parquet. and star bamboo offer lifetime guarantee for their flooring. but contractor friends said there will be grooves in between bamboo cos it's already factory treated, or something like that la.... can't remember... if you have the chance, take a closer look at bamboo floor vs parquet floor. you will notice that parquet more flat after sanded... i did and really see the grooves lor.

my bamboo dream was dashed cos of the height of my floor. in the end, i used maplewood.

Just to add on with what Merydith had commented.

Parquet tend to have smaller strips compared with timber strips/ bamboo flooring. I have seen bamboo flooring used outdoor too. They looked just like wood and even when heavy objects such as flower pots are placed on them, there is no dent. If you wish to install bamboo flooring for your interior of the house, you may want to consider doing the outdoor bamboo flooring materials so that it can tahan heavy duty usage. I think outdoor bamboo flooring material cost about $25/ ft. You can google and check out with bamboo flooring suppliers in the market for price and material comparison.

Just to add on with what Merydith had commented.

Parquet tend to have smaller strips compared with timber strips/ bamboo flooring. I have seen bamboo flooring used outdoor too. They looked just like wood and even when heavy objects such as flower pots are placed on them, there is no dent. If you wish to install bamboo flooring for your interior of the house, you may want to consider doing the outdoor bamboo flooring materials so that it can tahan heavy duty usage. I think outdoor bamboo flooring material cost about $25/ ft. You can google and check out with bamboo flooring suppliers in the market for price and material comparison.

Thanks all! I'll definitely go check out both floors and see what works better for my space. Much obliged for the help.

Cheers!

Hi what do u mean re the height of your floor & bamboo flooring? Bamboo flooring is thicker than Parquet??

Hi 3 monster,

for bamboo, they have only 1 thickness and need to lay plywood at the bottom, so the total height is too high for me. cos i kept the hall's flooring, so there's a certain height that i have to follow. i can only use parquet, because parquet can be laid without any plywood base. my contractor managed to find maplewood at 11mm thickness. maplewood needs plywood too, but the total thickness is just nice.

Your maplewood is in the form of timber strips, is it? Can you share how much it cost, compared to the quote you got for bamboo?

I thought that the cost for bamboo is about the same for other woods, assuming we are talking about similar sized pieces/strips of wood.

Hi 3 monster,

for bamboo, they have only 1 thickness and need to lay plywood at the bottom, so the total height is too high for me. cos i kept the hall's flooring, so there's a certain height that i have to follow. i can only use parquet, because parquet can be laid without any plywood base. my contractor managed to find maplewood at 11mm thickness. maplewood needs plywood too, but the total thickness is just nice.

Thanks for explanation, I see...

Anyone knows where / how can we get bamboo decking for planter areas? I called up star bamboo yesterday & they only do indoors.

Thanks for explanation, I see...

Anyone knows where / how can we get bamboo decking for planter areas? I called up star bamboo yesterday & they only do indoors.

I used Styline for my bamboo decking in my balcony/planter, you can look at my blog for the pictures.

Your maplewood is in the form of timber strips, is it? Can you share how much it cost, compared to the quote you got for bamboo?

I thought that the cost for bamboo is about the same for other woods, assuming we are talking about similar sized pieces/strips of wood.

yes. timber strips. i was quoted 2 prices. 11mm at $11.50 psf and 18mm at $18 psf. I had to use 11mm due to floor height as mentioned before. as for bamboo. star bamboo quoted me $13.50 psf. but the sales did mentioned they have some previous stocks that they can clear at $12.50, but that was more than 6 months ago.

there are different grades of woods and they all cost differently. you are looking for big strips ones?

Thanks, that's useful info.

So:

- $6 to $8 psf for parquet (I'm assuming its the 6x2inch size pieces or thereabouts).

- $11.50 or $18psf for maplewood timber strips.

- $13.50psf for bamboo strips.

Looks like bamboo is priced about the same then. Was this quote for installing pre-finished strips, or for installing and sanding/finishing on site? I understand that pre-finished strips come with added protection layers, but may give you grooves between the strips, whereas finishing on site will give you a smoother surface but won't have the special protection layers and costs more. Difficult choice.

I'm looking into strips for the flooring, but need not be the really big strips, so can keep the cost down. Currently thinking of bamboo or teak. Teak mainly cos termites are said to leave them alone. Dunno whether they attack bamboo though.

for bamboo, price quoted include installing and sanding, as per the salesperson I liaise with.

Hmmz, not so sure if termites attack bamboo wor. you need to contact the bamboo people to confirm.