Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ningyusof

Defintion Of Tampered Glass

my hubs told me tamperes glass once if shattered will not have sharp edges thus minimising risk of cuts. the thing is now my boy broke the so called tampered glass coffe table and it broke with all the sharp edges. ended up with 4 stitches in hospital. did i get a bad quality glass or did i get the meaning of tampered glass all wrong?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
does the coffee table has any tempered logo or wordings ?

no logo, no wordings, juz the saleswoman verbally telling me is tampered glass. got the coffee table for a month now. now broken by a 2year plus boy. im mad now cos i didnt realise that table is so fragile.

if don't have the words or logo, then it might not be tempered glass liao.

real tempered glass has either one of the above.

This is what I understand.

Second that.

It has to have the manufacturer's logo, else it's not.

Get well soon!

so how does tampered glass lools like when shattered?.. tiny small blunt pieces or big sharp pieces?

Tempered glass will shatter in to small blunt pebble like pieces.

RB

actually wrong. Tempered glass will shutter to small sharp pieces. Glass will never shutter to blunt pieces.

If I drop a chopping knife (normal glass) and a tiny fruit knife (tempered glass) at same height onto you. which will more likely to kill you?

Edited by hihihi

actually wrong. Tempered glass will shutter to small sharp pieces. Glass will never shutter to blunt pieces.

If I drop a chopping knife (normal glass) and a tiny fruit knife (tempered glass) at same height onto you. which will more likely to kill you?

Ok, this comes down to your definition of sharp and blunt.

I should have qualified my definition of blunt as being non pointed. The edges of the little pebble pieces will still be sharp but not usually pointed.

To avoid any further confusion...

tempered_glass_w_broken.jpg

RB

Take a walk down those car workshops to see cars with smashed up windscreen. Those are tempered glass.

To the thread starter, can complain against that shop for cheating consumers?

how do we tell if an item labelled as tempered glass is really tempered glass?

was looking for table with glass top. Some tables have the word tempered glass engraved in it - so presumably these are real?

some table top have the sticker with the word "tempered' pasted. Are these really tempered?

Any way for us to tell the difference before committing to a purchase?

Just to share how tempered glass saved my 2 year old son from injuries.

New place almost completed. Kids wanted to see new house. Pester Pester Pester. Foolish parents gave in. They ran around the big new house opening doors and cardboards. Suddenly a loud bang and some cracking sound. The toddler was trying to close the frosted glass door to the WIW in the master bedroom and it hit the fixed frosted glass panel. The whole glass door shattered into tiny pieces but was held together and sandwiched by 2 pieces of frosted film. Thank God all he suffered was a shock. Cant imagine if it is not tempered and the glass pieces come raining down on him. Not sure if he was permanently traumatised cos he has been telling everyone he broke the glass door.

Upon investigation, we found that the carpenter has removed the long rubber seal at the edge of the door (at the request of the ID cos it doesnt look nice) but have not paste round rubber stopper at the top and bottom of the fixed panel. After the incident, did a thorough check on all glass doors to make sure it has the tampered glass logo.

Contractor trying to remove the door by tearing it like paper.

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

Edited by green giraffe

Guess its correct, temper glass no pointed edge, although it remain sharp.

If temper with frosted laminates, then broken pieces remain intact.

Guys! never see the Hong Kong hostage in Phillipines. Check out the glass panel.

Hmm... my toilet partition no "Temper" letters, just the company logo. Although my ID claim that it is tempered glass :unsure:

So,

Is there a simple DIY test to find out if the glass is really tempered?

So that we can buy the furniture with peace of mind.

nope, it'll look just like normal glass. For peace of mind, buy one with etched logo at the corner.