Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
neubie

Revamp Of A 40yo 3rm Pigeonhole...

just a note, some of the 3rm have a floor-to-ceiling height of 95" (2.4m), so mounting ceiling fans is best directly bolted to the ceiling, not any false ceiling...

hi, what's your original ceiling height? (is it 2.4 or 2.5m?) and also, what's your false ceiling thickness? (5" or 6"?) i believe the philips downlight thickness is abt 4.5", so can't do a 4" false ceiling rite?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hi, what's your original ceiling height? (is it 2.4 or 2.5m?) and also, what's your false ceiling thickness? (5" or 6"?) i believe the philips downlight thickness is abt 4.5", so can't do a 4" false ceiling rite?

Standard height is 6", but there is a 3" drop at the original kitchen/LR demarcation, so the LR L-box has to accomodate this additional drop (final almost 9"height). The Philips downlight has a mounting height of 120mm, but stripping off the wire harness, can cut down to approx 100mm

Standard height is 6", but there is a 3" drop at the original kitchen/LR demarcation, so the LR L-box has to accomodate this additional drop (final almost 9"height). The Philips downlight has a mounting height of 120mm, but stripping off the wire harness, can cut down to approx 100mm

so now your floor to false ceiling height is? think you ve extended your LR from original layout? gd thing is your house got only 1 beam running across. i've 3 beam running across my 3rm, quite eye sore and hard to make proper ceiling (my original ceiling height only 2439, sign..). i'm considering leveling my kitchen floor height to be same as LR. ve you ever considered that?

features of old flats:

- walls not straight

- floor not level

For me, even the kitchen cabinet base also not level...combine all this factors, my carpenter look super long to fix up the stuff...must have cursed me loudly behind my back! :P

the fan is so nice... :) i thought it would be too low for 3room flats...? from picture looks ok...

features of old flats:

- walls not straight

- floor not level

For me, even the kitchen cabinet base also not level...combine all this factors, my carpenter look super long to fix up the stuff...must have cursed me loudly behind my back! :P

the fan is so nice... :) i thought it would be too low for 3room flats...? from picture looks ok...

My carpenter is very frenly one, i asked him about those newer hdb flats, he oso say those walls are not perfect, even for prefab ones, either more than 90deg or less than that one.... but the kdk 60" works wonders even at slowest speed, but quite noisy (air turbulence noise) when at the highest speed, but i doubt i will ever go anywhere more than medium speed ;p ...

so now your floor to false ceiling height is? think you ve extended your LR from original layout? gd thing is your house got only 1 beam running across. i've 3 beam running across my 3rm, quite eye sore and hard to make proper ceiling (my original ceiling height only 2439, sign..). i'm considering leveling my kitchen floor height to be same as LR. ve you ever considered that?

now my LR floor-to-false-ceiling is about 2.2m high. i did just that.

as i extended the higher LR flooring into the kitchen, they have to either use foam or cement to top up on the lower kitchen flooring.

Carpenter's recommendation

He recommended "Casa Soft" brand of anti-slam hinges... slimmer than Blum, more stealth than Samsung Irex, the damper is hidden inside the hinge body, also has quick-release mechanism to remove the door w/o unscrewing the hinges :yeah: .... he used all of them for every cabinet door... :D should also be available from excelhw...

IMG_1298.jpg

Next is the 168 silicone sealant he recommended... cost twice as much as normal ones, but if u read carefully, it has anti-fungal compounds with extra silicone as binder, so it's recommended for all sealing applications including wet areas like basin/wall interfaces...

IMG_1320.jpg

Just before lunch the top and bottom cabinets are up...

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

and also the U-trap pipe cabinet up... note the floating cabinet does not sit onto the floor, for reasons of water attacking wood when washing kitchen floor. also, the bottommost shelf is removable should clearing of chokage of the u-trap be required...

IMG_1325.jpg

after lunch hob and sink cutout done...

IMG_1324.jpg

Edited by neubie

Once done, carpenter radioed his solid-top guys over to make a mold, basically using small & long strips of timber and furiously stapling all over the top areas to create a mold and bring back to factory for casting...the solid guys appear to be earning big bucks on this.... :o :o :o as he was telling me they can make as much as 10 house visits to make template for solid-surface molding....

IMG_1326.jpg

By night I returned for inspection, all kitchen cabinet works completed, internal shelves/drawers cleaned up, left with surface-top & flipdoor for dishtray, interesting to know the 3 glass doors (one fixed, 2 movable) are completed 60% :rolleyes:

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

Water pipes and AC trunking all boxed up and sealed with 168 sealant...

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

I must say the carpenter is quite good and efficient.... the workplace is never too dusty or messy, leftover scraps from sawing/routing/plane-ing are immediately dumped into trashbag... :good:

Edited by neubie

nice and bright! Have your started looking for furniture already?

not yet, but most likely will buying ready-made wardrobes, beddings and sofa, while reusing dining tables.

just a note, some of the 3rm have a floor-to-ceiling height of 95" (2.4m), so mounting ceiling fans is best directly bolted to the ceiling, not any false ceiling...

Noted, will be in the same format as you bro.

By night I returned for inspection, all kitchen cabinet works completed, internal shelves/drawers cleaned up, left with surface-top & flipdoor for dishtray, interesting to know the 3 glass doors (one fixed, 2 movable) are completed 60% :rolleyes:

I wanted a 1 fix, 2 slide as well, but the cost of it will be more ex according to my contractor :(

Isuppose the space between the shalves and glass is meant for your fridge?

Looking forward to see your outcome of the sliding glass. Jia-you!

Edited by dexufto