Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mae29

Extreme Makeover @ Pandan Gardens

I find it hard to believe. my full height cabinet was also one continuous run from ceiling to floor. No joints in-between.

I'm not too sure....cos my cabinet is about 3m....which is considered higher than the usual ceiling height. :(

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I find it hard to believe. my full height cabinet was also one continuous run from ceiling to floor. No joints in-between.

Our block was built by JTC in the 1979, and the ceiling is much higher than other estates.

The other day, while I was doing QC after the contractors left (I checked daily the tall piece of side panel as that is the area they would pass by when using the toilet or dustbin), I saw a joint & thought it was a scratch initially. The joint is at the bottom about 3-4 inches away from the lowest edge.

As we have unusually high ceilings, I understand that my ID 'underquoted' the wall tiles!

Edited by mae29

I'm not too sure....cos my cabinet is about 3m....which is considered higher than the usual ceiling height. :(

While I was searching for flats way back in 1999, I scouted around many estates and realised that I could lift my hand and almost touching the ceilings at some estate, like Teban Gardens Block 4 (I am 1.65m tall).

When I came to visit my current place, I can see the total difference in height of ceiling. Maybe I go back tonight and measure for you to compare.

Hi mae, Superb reno. Dun we just wish the pipes in the toilets can be smaller or better still disappear!!!!! I am waiting for my 1st appointment then prob keys in april and my reno headache will start. In fact, searching for Contractors/IDs is already giving me headache now? Glad to see that you have found a responsible guy. Care to share with me the cost and contact of your ID? many thanks in advance.

Blue Skies

Hi, Blue Skies

True, really hope the pipies in the toilets can be made hidden somewhere else & less obstructive!

Throughout the whole reno process, there are pleasant & unpleasant moments as mine is really an extreme makeover of over 30-year old flat with so many unpredictable issues which surfaced only during the renovation works. Kudos to my ID for his patience and involvement in the project from beginning to now.

I will share with you the details.

waaaa.. i love your curtains! especially the hidden track using your flase ceiling @ ur living room windows. i am soooo sad that mine supposed to be like urs nicely hidden but was not informed duly by my ID. sobz sobz..

The curtains bosses came to site personally & met our ID to resolve the beams & columns issue. Now, due to unforeseen problem with the aircon bulky trunking which obstruct the additional wooden sliding door, the curtain installer has to return to adjust the stopper at the right side. Sharing here are more photographs of the curtains:

Close-up view of the material for Day curtains in my MBR:

grq4_cbb_uc4it.jpg

Curtains in Bedroom 2 & Bedroom 4:

grq4_3f4_uc4it.jpg

Curtains in Bedroom 3

grq4_298_uc4it.jpg

One of the 3 installers who came to fix the curtains:

grq4_a32_uc4it.jpg

Wow!!! you are full of praises for them. :dribble: must be really good!! can pm me directly their contact?

sure, let me update some progress photographs, then clear my PM messages...it is full already as I have been busy like bees these 2 days.

Hi, Blue Skies

True, really hope the pipies in the toilets can be made hidden somewhere else & less obstructive!

Throughout the whole reno process, there are pleasant & unpleasant moments as mine is really an extreme makeover of over 30-year old flat with so many unpredictable issues which surfaced only during the renovation works. Kudos to my ID for his patience and involvement in the project from beginning to now.

I will share with you the details.

Thanks Mae, looking forward to it.

(",)

Status Update:

As mentioned earlier, my ID is sending another group of painters to do a 3rd painting to almost the whole house. Some walls have sratched marks when carpenter lean the materials against the wall, and some are stains. They will be coming tomorrow to repaint our house again!

Further, there are hiccups in the 2 areas:

1. The window opening at the dining area: Due to unevenness of wall tiles at the edges, ID had to 'fork' out at their cost, additional wooden trimming to line the 4 sides facing the kitchen. These wooden panelling will be painted in white, before the carpenter install the pelmets to cover up the upper sliding track tomorrow.

Seen here is the above mentioned problem, and the LG side-by-side fridge in White.

grq4_529_uc4it.jpg

2. The wooden sliding door at toilet of MBR: Due to bulky aircon trunking which obstructs the sliding door, additional false 'pillar' was constructed so that the sliding wooden door can slide to the left edge, near the windows, without leaving gaps. This also affected the curtains track which the curtain maker will shift & re-install the end stopper.

grq4_a23_uc4it.jpg

grq4_668_uc4it.jpg

Status Update:

2. The wooden sliding door at toilet of MBR: Due to bulky aircon trunking which obstructs the sliding door, additional false 'pillar' was constructed so that the sliding wooden door can slide to the left edge, near the windows, without leaving gaps. This also affected the curtains track which the curtain maker will shift & re-install the end stopper.

grq4_a23_uc4it.jpg

yr sliding door opens to a full height mirror? or is there a link to another room?

The completed store room cum shoe cabinet:

grq4_c26_uc4it.jpg

Comparing with 3D drawing of store room:

oyud_7cf_uc4it.jpg

...and the mess started in the store room!

grq4_44b_uc4it.jpg

Edited by mae29

yr sliding door opens to a full height mirror? or is there a link to another room?

It opens to the full height mirror of the inner aluminium frame sliding door. This means there are one outer wooden sliding door, and an inner sliding mirror door at entrance to toilet of MBR. It is weird, but there is water dripping sound which affects my sleep...at least now 2 doors to lessen the noises at night.

nice! is it ex? mind sharing how much is the damage? :)

I paid $1,750 for all the curtains including the trackings & installation. Maybe is because of the materials I have chosen, expecially the day curtains for MBR alone is already $400++.

Activities on 26 Jan 2011:

Mover came punctually & in less than one hour, they have loaded all our stuffs. Was raining heavily and when we arrived at my place, the only lift serving our point block broke down again for a third time in one day. The other lift had shut down for upgrading since the day we moved out for renovation.

The movers unloaded all our stuffs and they waited patiently for more than an hour for the mechanic to repair the lift.

I am glad that the mover didn't disappoint me; really cheap & reliable mover!

The group of Singaporean movers....

Moving of bulky items from the bomb shelter of my sister's place at Bukit Panjang:

grq4_230_uc4it.jpg

This guy standing is the driver cum 'chief' mover!

grq4_0a6_uc4it.jpg

...and the big truck they sent to transport my 30+ boxes of stuffs, few pieces of IKEA furnitures & alots of our hand carry bags ....with 5 local men, 4 hours spent @ $300 only...really cheap & good!

grq4_34d_uc4it.jpg

Hi boyblunder,

Maybe you can try ID note, they have been quite gd and efficient with my friends' and my home. Reasonable priced and good work. Save me from all the reno "stories", lol. Pm me if you want their contacts.

I am sure most home owners & forumers here are fully aware that you can't expect problem-free renovation & workmanship, especially for a complete makeover of an old 31 year old flat! It also depends on your level of quality expectations & how diligent do you conduct QC checks! Moreover, it boils down to how honest you are, when commenting on your reno progress, and your level of quality acceptance! If you say 100% good workmanship, it is either you are not sincere, or your standards of acceptance is only so so, not up to my mark! Sorry to say this, but my ID almost broke down handling me & my reno project!

As I am putting up my reno blog primarily for my sons to be informed of reno status, I list down every details & " stories" that come along the way!

Nothing to hide, as I am the proud home owner, and ID is engaged by me after due selection process.

The completed store room cum shoe cabinet:

grq4_c26_uc4it.jpg

Comparing with 3D drawing of store room:

oyud_7cf_uc4it.jpg

should put the pot then take picture, really looks like the 3d rendering leh ahahahaha