Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ymjp100

Aaab's Hjem

pretty sure it's not wallpaper.....

You are right. They are not wallpaper.

They are tiles.

We have seen enough toilets with the same features - handspray next to mono-block toilet bowl with soft-closing hinges and behind it, a 4-5 mosaic tile wide strip running the way up. glass shower doors and basins on vanity counters.

Would love to have the above if we had the money. So we opted to jazz things up by carefully choosing the tiles for your toilets. We stuck to a black-white combination and the results are as above.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hiya...beautiful place.

The wall at the living room caught my eye... Are those painted by a designer... (maybe yourself, haha) or wallpaper?

Please let me know the cost, to do that type of effect, if you dun mind. Tastefully done.

And I have to say this, please put those stainless steel railings on!!!..they look **** scary..haha but kudos to your braveness to explore something new!

Nice!

Hiya...beautiful place.

The wall at the living room caught my eye... Are those painted by a designer... (maybe yourself, haha) or wallpaper?

Please let me know the cost, to do that type of effect, if you dun mind. Tastefully done.

And I have to say this, please put those stainless steel railings on!!!..they look **** scary..haha but kudos to your braveness to explore something new!

Nice!

Thanks for the compliment! We think our home looks nicer on pictures. :P Not because the pictures have been photoshopped to death, but somehow, things just appear nicer through camera lens.

First, the good news: The finishing on the wall comes at no extra cost!

Next, the bad news:

The finishing on the living room wall is cement screed. I would think they were done by a designer but we didn't ask his name. Have to check with Steven, our ID. We had very exacting requirements when we asked for that stretch of wall to have a cement screed finishing. We are 90% happy with it because it is about 1-2 shades darker than what we had wanted. It is extremely difficult to gauge when it is first plastered. But if you ID/Contractor is experienced (like ours), please trust him/her. We did not. And now we are paying the price.

The first time we saw the finished wall, we told him too light-coloured. He couldn't convinced us that it would get darker. His team finally got it right after re-doing it three times. The weird thing about cement screed finishing is that it dries at a rate that is in accordance with its temperament. Vertical surfaces (i.e. walls) dries alot (alot!) slower than horizontal surfaces (i.e. floor). And it is a rather organic finishing because the colour changes as time past.

In all, we had three main areas that had cement screed finishing: balcony floor, living room wall (from balcony all the wall to the triangle section under the stairs) and the steps of the stairs. For safety, we had stainless steel strips embedded into the steps. Ironic. Since we have no railings for the first flight of steps.

So our place is a little industrial, a little scandinavian and a little modern. By modern I mean mid-Century modern - design movement. It was a challenge holding everything together. We hope to have done an acceptable job.

One more look at the cement screed wall, slab of butter and grass patch.

36647_436068225675_600400675_5979458_420

Let me describe a bit more.....

On the left is the balcony. One the top right, you should be able to make out a wooden pelmet for the partition doors. It is the strip of wood between the plastered surfaces. These doors are to enclose the living room when the air-conditioner is switched on. Also to keep the sound in when we watch movies. The white boxes on the ceiling are speakers.

Finally, the two wooden stools that look like bastardised and stunted Panton S chairs. But really, they are just stools each carved from a single block of suar wood.

Suar wood is a durable hardwood with fine bands of grains in a rich shade of dark brown. The salesperson who sold the pair to us likened the suar to mahogany. We are not sure if the stools come from a environmentally friendly producer. If I remember correctly, Suar is really just wood from the common raintree you see around Singapore. The two stools have been since been shifted to the foyer. We sit on them each workday morning when we are putting on our shoes.

I know someone was asking about the coffee table we have decided on. I have yet to take pictures of it. Soon, perhaps. :rolleyes:

That last picture looks quite photoshopped. Ever tried cross-processing? I love that effect. Makes photos look like a Wong Kar Wai movie.

Anyways.

I know what you mean. I tried to mix styles as well and it's actually quite hard to find a good balance. Those interior design magazines make it look so easy, mixing vintage, mid-century modern with industrial and making everything look whimsical and fun. But it takes a bold spirit and some really good eyes to do it well. You must have spent a lot of time looking for furniture and accessories? I did, and am still looking.

Edited by january

That last picture looks quite photoshopped. Ever tried cross-processing? I love that effect. Makes photos look like a Wong Kar Wai movie.

Anyways.

I know what you mean. I tried to mix styles as well and it's actually quite hard to find a good balance. Those interior design magazines make it look so easy, mixing vintage, mid-century modern with industrial and making everything look whimsical and fun. But it takes a bold spirit and some really good eyes to do it well. You must have spent a lot of time looking for furniture and accessories? I did, and am still looking.

Huh, really? That last picture was untouched. Thus far, none of the pictures have been processed. But the next one will be processed, because we had stitched together three photos to form a single panoramic picture.

I suspect the reason why the last picture looks photoshopped is because of the cove lighting and camera settings. I shall check the exif information and see if it sheds any clues. It's taken by an Olympus 5060wz. Ancient by current standards since I bought it in 2003. I have yet to borrow a lens that is wide enough for taking interior decoration shots with my Canon 400D.

You are right about accessories, if by accessories you mean utensils, curtains and fans. Furniture wise, we knew what we wanted. but sourcing for an affordable yet value for money piece was another matter totally.

we lived without pails for about 2 plus months because we couldn't find white ones in the correct shade of..... white. I had convinced my wife that a knife block would be the only thing on the kitchen counter. But after I discovered the joys of using a Santoku made of Japanese steel, I gave up that idea. At home, my wife and I hope to live by the mantra of "less is more".

and because there was absolutely no clocks that we liked. I decided to do an ikea hack of my own. I was inspired by local designer Hans Tan. I shall show the clock next, together with the panoramic picture.

This is the view one would have if one stood in the middle of the stairwell with the Random light repro directly overhead, Artichoke repro on the left and the Arco repro on the left. We are cheongsters; because we have alot of cheong stuff (repros) at home! - such a lousy joke.

nicepcofartwk.jpg

Anyway, as said, the clock (yes, the triptych) is an ikea hack. It is in the middle of the picture. The clock is showing 4 (hour hand) :34 (minute hand) :57 (second hand). So that's three seconds to 4:35pm, since the photos were taken in the day.

In the kitchen you can see the sink, hob and hood. In the living room is the tv, woofer, fan, more speakers and the cd trolleys.

There is cove lighting everywhere!!!!!!!!!

This is the view one would have if one stood in the middle of the stairwell with the Random light repro directly overhead, Artichoke repro on the left and the Arco repro on the left. We are cheongsters; because we have alot of cheong stuff (repros) at home! - such a lousy joke.

nicepcofartwk.jpg

Anyway, as said, the clock (yes, the triptych) is an ikea hack. It is in the middle of the picture. The clock is showing 4 (hour hand) :34 (minute hand) :57 (second hand). So that's three seconds to 4:35pm, since the photos were taken in the day.

In the kitchen you can see the sink, hob and hood. In the living room is the tv, woofer, fan, more speakers and the cd trolleys.

There is cove lighting everywhere!!!!!!!!!

Hi!

Very nice layout and design... love your "cheong lightings"... LOL... esp the Arco Lamp. Did you get it from the Group Buy organized by some of the forummers?

I'm getting my EM at end-Jan 2011. currently looking for ID/renov contractor.

My layout is very similar to yours, but mirrored.

I like the room divider for the living room, but my fiancee thinks it's a waste of money to build that. I was thinking more of having aircon for the enclosed living room (when there are guests over, but she thinks the frequency is < 4 times a yr :( ) and for it to act as sound barrier, when i play my rock band 2 on wii. LOL. btw, how did you plan your aircon? System 3+2?

I also noticed from your pics, that your balcony doors in the one of the earlier pics, seem to be a folding doors type. but in this pic (attached above) it's like a sliding door. so what is it?

you installed bestview or something like that?

Hi!

Very nice layout and design... love your "cheong lightings"... LOL... esp the Arco Lamp. Did you get it from the Group Buy organized by some of the forummers?

I'm getting my EM at end-Jan 2011. currently looking for ID/renov contractor.

My layout is very similar to yours, but mirrored.

I like the room divider for the living room, but my fiancee thinks it's a waste of money to build that. I was thinking more of having aircon for the enclosed living room (when there are guests over, but she thinks the frequency is < 4 times a yr :( ) and for it to act as sound barrier, when i play my rock band 2 on wii. LOL. btw, how did you plan your aircon? System 3+2?

I also noticed from your pics, that your balcony doors in the one of the earlier pics, seem to be a folding doors type. but in this pic (attached above) it's like a sliding door. so what is it?

you installed bestview or something like that?

Hi thanks for the compliments.

Regarding the lamp, we did not buy it from the group buy. We bought it from a warehouse in Eunos. We do not recommend buying from that warehouse.

For the divider, we did have some afterthoughts. A less expensive and viable option would be a heavy curtain that has a vertical pelmet at the end to hide when not in use. In fact, as a sound room, it reduces unwanted reflections and could be better. Plus, it might be more durable, washable, can change colour of curtain.... etc etc. But you'd better ask the AV experts in this forum regarding sound reduction when playing Rock Band 2. ;)

Balcony doors; we also have afterthoughts. Sliding might be better than folding. Simply because folding takes more space to open and close.

By the way, may I ask where is your EM located? We had a guest last Sunday who bought an EM with her fiance and they were planning to take over in Jan 11 but the present owners requested for an extension to Mar 11 instead. :)

One more look at the cement screed wall, slab of butter and grass patch.

36647_436068225675_600400675_5979458_420

Let me describe a bit more.....

On the left is the balcony. One the top right, you should be able to make out a wooden pelmet for the partition doors. It is the strip of wood between the plastered surfaces. These doors are to enclose the living room when the air-conditioner is switched on. Also to keep the sound in when we watch movies. The white boxes on the ceiling are speakers.

Finally, the two wooden stools that look like bastardised and stunted Panton S chairs. But really, they are just stools each carved from a single block of suar wood.

Suar wood is a durable hardwood with fine bands of grains in a rich shade of dark brown. The salesperson who sold the pair to us likened the suar to mahogany. We are not sure if the stools come from a environmentally friendly producer. If I remember correctly, Suar is really just wood from the common raintree you see around Singapore. The two stools have been since been shifted to the foyer. We sit on them each workday morning when we are putting on our shoes.

I know someone was asking about the coffee table we have decided on. I have yet to take pictures of it. Soon, perhaps. :rolleyes:

Nice living room. Where do you get your green carpet? How much is it? I saw a similiar one in Ikea, almost want to buy it... I love the green color...

Nice living room. Where do you get your green carpet? How much is it? I saw a similiar one in Ikea, almost want to buy it... I love the green color...

I bet it must be the same carpet you saw at Ikea because we got ours from there. I think it was $99?? Cannot recall.

But as with most things, quality does come at a price. The carpet is coarse and quite sparse. It looks surprisingly lush on the photo but it certainly doesn't feel that way.

Hi thanks for the compliments.

Regarding the lamp, we did not buy it from the group buy. We bought it from a warehouse in Eunos. We do not recommend buying from that warehouse.

For the divider, we did have some afterthoughts. A less expensive and viable option would be a heavy curtain that has a vertical pelmet at the end to hide when not in use. In fact, as a sound room, it reduces unwanted reflections and could be better. Plus, it might be more durable, washable, can change colour of curtain.... etc etc. But you'd better ask the AV experts in this forum regarding sound reduction when playing Rock Band 2. ;)

Balcony doors; we also have afterthoughts. Sliding might be better than folding. Simply because folding takes more space to open and close.

By the way, may I ask where is your EM located? We had a guest last Sunday who bought an EM with her fiance and they were planning to take over in Jan 11 but the present owners requested for an extension to Mar 11 instead. :)

Woah. Thanks for your replies.

I think my resale EM is the 1980s one. The power rating not upgraded, so think it's difficult to do airconditioning for the living room, likely going to skip this option (and save some money).

BUT i got intention to install home projector system for the living room, so that i can jio my friends over and play xbox or wii or watch movie on big screen. and the Arco Lamp (which i actually intends to get from the forum's group buy), might not fit well in the living room.

Balcony doors

I was thinking of doing folding so that i can have a very wide view (think my balcony quite similar to yours, it's abt 5m long). but yah, maybe have to reconsider it, given that the width of the balcony (1.7m) is not very deep, might be troublesome to open and close, esp if i'm going to put a 2-seater outdoor set.

My resale EM is located near Lakeside MRT (blk 469-472 area). supposed to get my keys before x'mas also, but my seller has some delays with their new unit (developer last min unable to hand over in time; think got issue with TOP permit), hence out of goodwill, i've extended my 2nd appt beyond the max 8 weeks to 31 Jan 2011.

currently, looking for renov contractor/IDs. i already have some rough idea of what i hope to achieve. looking at more modern resort style. did some research online and on renotalk. my new place is very original conditions (20+ yrs kind of look), so need major rehaul of whole place, but likely just furnishing up the living rm, balcony, MBR, 3 toilets (intending to convert lvl 1 wash area to a WC), and kitchen.

after paying stupid COV, feeling a bit broke, and all the IDs' prices cut throat one...

any gd & affordable renov contractor/id to recommend?

thanks.

ohh...

actually, i very like your kitchen design (colour scheme). It would be something i would like to do... maybe a bit darker wood colour.

can PM me your ID's contact and maybe your quotation?

Thanks!

ohh...

actually, i very like your kitchen design (colour scheme). It would be something i would like to do... maybe a bit darker wood colour.

can PM me your ID's contact and maybe your quotation?

Thanks!

Hi csingeu, I have pm-ed you. good luck with the renovation. :D