Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
adidaem

A Bright & Airy Executive Maisonette

Hey Adidaem, can I ask you about the white Fujioh Hood. Any issues with discolouration or 'problems related to cleaning?

Remember you mentioning you don't do heavy cooking.. so no problems I suppose (answers my own question - hahaha!) ?

I am trying to convince my wife to go for a white one (to go with white kitchen cabs naturally :P) but she's afraid of dis-colouration.

Great blog, I learned and benefited like many before me. So a thank you!

zilver47

EA reno starting in Jul, but first.. firstborn arriving anytime soon!

Gotta do these before sleep deprivation days ahead Haha

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hey Adidaem, can I ask you about the white Fujioh Hood. Any issues with discolouration or 'problems related to cleaning?

Remember you mentioning you don't do heavy cooking.. so no problems I suppose (answers my own question - hahaha!) ?

I am trying to convince my wife to go for a white one (to go with white kitchen cabs naturally :P) but she's afraid of dis-colouration.

Great blog, I learned and benefited like many before me. So a thank you!

zilver47

EA reno starting in Jul, but first.. firstborn arriving anytime soon!

Gotta do these before sleep deprivation days ahead Haha

No problems with the hood (or laminates) so far. And yeah, we hardly fry stuff. So far still liking the white kitchen cos it really brightens up the space. If you are worried about the hood colour, chrome and white works well together so you can consider a chrome/silver hood.

Most welcome and congrats to you for your double happiness!

Upz for adidaem!!

Her Lego room was uniquely classy!!

Let not ask for the cost n enjoy her beautifully Reno dream house!!

Those who drooled n loved her house can alway "mimic", hopefully never infringe her copyright! ;)

Just to clarify (and to be fair to my IDs and contractor) - my 6 figs sum includes ALL sunken costs.

So it's not just the reno/contracted amount but EVERYTHING that I cannot move away next time. That means:

- lights

- fans

- kitchen stuff like oven, hob, hood, sink, sink mixer

- bathroom stuff like taps, showers, WC, sinks

- aircon

Without the above items, it is a high 5 figs (what did I say about expensive fixtures earlier... :bleah: )

I think most of the quotations mentioned by RT-ers do not include the sunken costs that I've mentioned, but I've always considered them part of the reno costs since it's not like I can pluck my mixer out of the sink and cart it to my next place unlike my loose furniture.

I do agree with your statement. My Reno cost plus 'sunken cost' nearly 80k n still incomplete.....

Those who drooled n loved her house can alway "mimic", hopefully never infringe her copyright! ;)

I think true design 'fans' will want to own something that belongs uniquely to them, and not just copy blindly.

Saw the brabantia wall mount hanger at howard storage parkway selling 398

Thanks Chibibotto - yeah saw the hanger at Howards @ Harbourfront too. It's huge huh? Luckily I didn't get it cos I use my dryer all the time. :rolleyes:

Plus I was quite taken aback by the size when I saw it in real life.

I do agree with your statement. My Reno cost plus 'sunken cost' nearly 80k n still incomplete.....

I take the sunken cost to the extreme that even my roller blinds are included. :rolleyes:

Incomplete due to? Are you doing more stuff in your place?

Based on your dining table, I assume you spent quite a bit on the furniture too? I shall go over to your blog and request for completed pics. ;)

By the way, I finally did my roller shutters a few days ago. Very very dusty, and I think the control switch for the roller shutter could have been much better planned (by my IDs/contractor) if we had included the roller shutter during our reno. :bangwall:

It's a lesson learnt for me, and a note out to any EM owners doing their reno. Of course, we were **** broke during reno, so not like we made the choice for fun.

I think we have completed 50% of our intended "Phase 2" reno with the addition of cabinets in the living room niche under the windows, and the roller shutters for the balcony. Now just left with the dishwasher and water filtration system to consider...

I think true design 'fans' will want to own something that belongs uniquely to them, and not just copy blindly.

Exactly! I wanted a design that is unique to us but the IDs came out with 50% similar design/ideas, so we got to put a stop to it!

My design is very common la. Hard to be unique when everything like have a "designated" place unless u take away here n there to bcome another new thing.

Agree! I also wanted to shift rooms/kitchens/etc until I started reading all the HDB rules and understood the many restrictions in place. :bleah:

E.g. Like why can't I hack away and re-do the entire stairs since it doesn't affect anyone but me?

E.g. Why can't I reconfig the kitchen area so that my study and guest room is conveniently next to the living room, with an attached bathroom and has a balcony view. (SIGH!!)

As pointed out earlier, the stair railings and circular fan space in my place is similar to an earlier reno my IDs did (aka the black 'twin'). But I also know it's after we've discussed alternative designs, assessed the costs and decided on the preferred approach for my reno, and is not a blind copy. And some things are simply hard to be unique like the wardrobe location in the MBR - just putting them where it's the most logical place to be.

At the end of the dat, to me my place is still unique cos only us (& IDs/contractor) know how much effort we put into the reno. Little things make me happy, like the convenient for our height counters (now I find the normal height counters totally low and weird) and I still love my bathroom wall tiles a lot. I'm sure it's the case for many other owners too. :)

Exactly! I wanted a design that is unique to us but the IDs came out with 50% similar design/ideas, so we got to put a stop to it!

What stuff did they propose that you didn't like?

But some things could be based on experience I guess. You have to consider that for them, they have sat through countless hours of design sessions and contractor discussions - sometimes what they propose could be what they think is 'best' based on their experience in the past renos. Anyway they were fairly accommodating to my change requests during my reno. Quite often in my case it was practicality vs design. I think I appreciate their efforts more after I got to know my contractor (aka 'HK') better. HK told me about how some carpentry changes were made after Hari told him that he can't sleep at night (and much later was confirmed by Ai Hwa that Hari really couldn't sleep!). ;)

What stuff did they propose that you didn't like?

But some things could be based on experience I guess. You have to consider that for them, they have sat through countless hours of design sessions and contractor discussions - sometimes what they propose could be what they think is 'best' based on their experience in the past renos. Anyway they were fairly accommodating to my change requests during my reno. Quite often in my case it was practicality vs design. I think I appreciate their efforts more after I got to know my contractor (aka 'HK') better. HK told me about how some carpentry changes were made after Hari told him that he can't sleep at night (and much later was confirmed by Ai Hwa that Hari really couldn't sleep!). ;)

I like their initial ideas but after the final drawing, we realised the main door and gate design and the main colour scheme are all the same as yours. I'm not so keen to duplicating other people's design. And since we started with slated design, then we should be consistent for the rest of it. Seems like they are not so accommodating to our change request, especially on the material used. They get really upset and offended when we decide on bi-fold door for my toilet and tic tat door for my storeroom.

Anyway, HK is not the one doing our reno.

I take the sunken cost to the extreme that even my roller blinds are included. :rolleyes:

Incomplete due to? Are you doing more stuff in your place?

Based on your dining table, I assume you spent quite a bit on the furniture too? I shall go over to your blog and request for completed pics. ;)

Yea I think same here I include roller blind, aircon, windows, built in oven.... As e flat I purchase already 25yrs old n place vacant more than 10yrs everything got to redo which I think really no choice.

I will try to post my complete pics soon as I still waiting lounge chair n some lighting to come in. To me my most expensive furniture is e Air table n sofa lah.

I like their initial ideas but after the final drawing, we realised the main door and gate design and the main colour scheme are all the same as yours. I'm not so keen to duplicating other people's design. And since we started with slated design, then we should be consistent for the rest of it. Seems like they are not so accommodating to our change request, especially on the material used. They get really upset and offended when we decide on bi-fold door for my toilet and tic tat door for my storeroom.

Anyway, HK is not the one doing our reno.

Hmm... thanks for not using the same door and gate. ;)

Color scheme wise they consistently like white. I think I mentioned before in previous posts about them. Think is an architect thing cos white interiors highlights good architecture. And you've probably notices the extensive use of white in japanese interiors (e.g. via Archdaily). But anyway after living in a white home I realize that I quite like it - for now I think my next home/reno will be white too. I find overly dark interiors depressing based on my fairly extensive hotel stay experience.

Umm... I don't really like bi-fold doors too. So I can understand where they are coming from. :P

But it's your place, you will be living in it so just go ahead with stuff that you like. :thumbs up: If it helps they couldn't hide their dismay at some of our choices too.

Yea I think same here I include roller blind, aircon, windows, built in oven.... As e flat I purchase already 25yrs old n place vacant more than 10yrs everything got to redo which I think really no choice.

I will try to post my complete pics soon as I still waiting lounge chair n some lighting to come in. To me my most expensive furniture is e Air table n sofa lah.

Ok lar. Now with MOP and rules around buying pte ppty, you know you have to stay at least 5 years. So reno nicely and be comfortable (and happy!) for the next 5 years. Air Div got sale... did you get anything else from them?

Hmm... thanks for not using the same door and gate. ;)

Color scheme wise they consistently like white. I think I mentioned before in previous posts about them. Think is an architect thing cos white interiors highlights good architecture. And you've probably notices the extensive use of white in japanese interiors (e.g. via Archdaily). But anyway after living in a white home I realize that I quite like it - for now I think my next home/reno will be white too. I find overly dark interiors depressing based on my fairly extensive hotel stay experience.

Umm... I don't really like bi-fold doors too. So I can understand where they are coming from. :P

But it's your place, you will be living in it so just go ahead with stuff that you like. :thumbs up: If it helps they couldn't hide their dismay at some of our choices too.

I did some shopping at Lush recently they are having sales too .. Did u went?

Ok lar. Now with MOP and rules around buying pte ppty, you know you have to stay at least 5 years. So reno nicely and be comfortable (and happy!) for the next 5 years. Air Div got sale... did you get anything else from them?

Yes when I purchase the flat new rules already out So that's is y we consider the 5 yrs stay ruling we decided to increase our budget. But is really such a pain when hard earn cash got to spent n comparing those getting new place don't really need to Reno that much.

I bought my Air furniture 6 months ago and don't think will get anything soon since my coffee table, dining n sofa are from them... Later become a Air showroom :sport-smiley-004:

Edited by salormoon80

Haha, I was just going thru my posts to quote when I saw u answered urself. Anyway have a look at the pics to see if the size is ok. Looks fine to me. My table is 90 cm in width btw. Just make sure you get the right one. Mine is a small. I've seen the bigger one in real life and it's very much bigger.

Yep, also think my WP blog is way easier to look for info. Do have a look at the WP blog cos most info can be found there.

Hi there,

You have an amazing house there.

Notice that you are using roller blinds and some of which seemed pretty wide.

Can I asked, what is the maximum width you got there? and where you get it from?

A price will be the best, as I am searching high and low for something which is longer than usual.

thanks.