Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
adidaem

A Bright & Airy Executive Maisonette

I prefer something subtle - more art than poster. Not wall paper. Something like a statement piece?

But I think finding suitable art pieces requires some degree of 'fate'... so far, seen lots that I like but few that I can afford. :(

Ok, these are really really pricey - just FYI in case there are people who are interested... I was also quite 'stunned' by some of the 'discounted' prices.

For those who are looking for nice outdoor furniture, you may like to pop by Marquis at Tai Seng. They have been having sales on the EMU range for a while. So far, still one of the best 'metal' type outdoor furniture that I have seen (not a fan of faux rattan or heavy teak pieces).

More here: http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/pre-gss-2012-promotions-at-marquis/

For those who would like to get authentic Tom Dixon Beat lamps, XTRA is having promo - 3 of various sizes @ $1.6K. Not cheap but you are getting the original stuff. Quite a number of other offers you may like to have a look at.

More here: http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/xtra-spring-summer-deals/

No wonder there are no updates on the prints/art selected for your home. I am a little luckier...my wife and I share similar taste. So she did not disapprove my Audrey Kawasaki prints and "vintage" railway commercial posters by Tom Purvis. We also have a small original by Lin Bao-Ling somewhere above the tv on a shelf:

2579045129_fa321b8fba.jpg

For your home, besides putting up art pieces at the backwall of the couch and walls around the dining area, what about 2nd level?

Edited by ymjp100

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

No wonder there are no updates on the prints/art selected for your home. I am a little luckier...my wife and I share similar taste. So she did not disapprove my Audrey Kawasaki prints and "vintage" railway commercial posters by Tom Purvis. We also have a small original by Lin Bao-Ling somewhere above the tv on a shelf:

For your home, besides putting up art pieces at the backwall of the couch and walls around the dining area, what about 2nd level?

After so many months, we are both quite sick of the empty walls.

Agree is so much easier when the couple has similar taste or with one having strong opinions & the other none (as with some friends I know). In my case, we both have fairly strong opinions and differing views on art.

So for the 'common' areas like living, dining rooms and kitchen, the pieces have to be something we both like/don't object to.

In the bedrooms, we are easier on each other. :)

For the 2nd bedroom, I caved and got something simple from IKEA while waiting for 'the one' to appear. Again, waiting to measure etc. Inertia a bit high, so putting up may take a while. :) Think no need to draw out the suspense for this...

olunda-picture__0099118_PE240711_S4.JPG

In the study, I may get some amusing ones like prints by Jason Freeny (http://web.mac.com/moistproduction/Shop_Files/Shop_Prints.html). Still thinking tho.

oh yah...how about creating 2 simple art pieces by the both of u?

I did ask my hubby to paint something - he was good at art during his student days, but he declined... I also thought about putting up other things in lieu of paintings, e.g. a few frame pieces of nice ceramics such as those by Spin in the kitchen counter area (e.g. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=spin+ceramics&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1439&bih=780&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=0tOvT-bGIoPnrAfOv9m1CQ).

We were looking for something simple - like a single apple on a big white canvas for the dining room. But after some hard searching this weekend, we actually got a painting for the dining room. It's a bit non-mainstream but I find it amusing. Not up yet tho. Need to figure out how to measure/align on the wall.

But I do think we need a statement piece in the living room. Something fairly big and long, say 2m length x 1m height. Still looking!

Hi sis adidem,

Went grafunkt today. Saw a tv console of similar to yours. Selling at. $31xx after less..

Lol.. Really itchy to get it!!

Hi Adidaem,

Thanks for sharing your reno process and ideas. The finishing looks very good. Can you share the carpenter contact? As we already know what we want, we are looking for a good carpenter who can do veneer.

Thanks!

Edited by nevergiveup

Hi sis adidem,

Went grafunkt today. Saw a tv console of similar to yours. Selling at. $31xx after less..

Lol.. Really itchy to get it!!

Oh I know which one! Yeah nice console. Not sure if higher legs can be fixed to the console? But yeah, I like the finishing on the Grafunkt one. Did you get it in the end?

Hi Adidaem,

Thanks for sharing your reno process and ideas. The finishing looks very good. Can you share the carpenter contact? As we already know what we want, we are looking for a good carpenter who can do veneer.

Thanks!

My contractor does not do simple carpentry projects, so I won't be sharing his contact. You may want to look for others who did engage carpenters for their reno.

Hi sis

Dun think that they have the legs for the console. I also prefer a higher console for comfort viewing.

Check with my contractor for a custom job for that console and quote about 2K plus.

Maybe get the real deal for better quality and "no surprise" from my carpenter!!

BTW i placed my order for a "bestview" window for the LR. Hope it turn out to be "Bright and Airy EM"

:)

May I know total how much u spent for ur Reno exclude furniture?

I am not comfortable telling the exact amount.

To you and anyone else who wants to know (quotations included), pls stop asking.

Frankly I am curious why you are asking. Newbies who would like some comparative quotes/get an idea of the cost I can completely understand. You recently completed your reno and it's not even like you renovated a place with the same layout as mine - so really why are you asking?

Edited by adidaem

Hi babe! Long time no 'talk'!

Took me awhile to read thru your pages haha..

Congrats on your Dwell mag although i couldnt read the small writings.

Do they have the online version?

Our meetup is way overdue!

And chill, i guess your reno's too beautiful so the curiousity la.

Hi babe! Long time no 'talk'!

Took me awhile to read thru your pages haha..

Congrats on your Dwell mag although i couldnt read the small writings.

Do they have the online version?

Our meetup is way overdue!

And chill, i guess your reno's too beautiful so the curiousity la.

PM'ed you re: meetup.

I like Zinio, and have subscribed to loads of mags (both local and foreign) on the iPad. Dwell Asia is available too, and is at GSS price of $17.38 for 6 issues (55% off) - really really cheap compared to Kinokuniya price. Links here:

http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/local-home-decor-mags-available-on-ipad/

Also have free Dwell Kitchens here:

http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/free-dwell-presents-100-kitchens-we-love/

Or you can read the mag when you come over lor.

Edited by adidaem

I am not comfortable telling the exact amount.

To you and anyone else who wants to know (quotations included), pls stop asking.

Frankly I am curious why you are asking. Newbies who would like some comparative quotes/get an idea of the cost I can completely understand. You recently completed your reno and it's not even like you renovated a place with the same layout as mine - so really why are you asking?

Sorry if I have offended u with e costing issue. As My buddy just purchase a EM so I just checking out on her behalf. :)

Sorry if I have offended u with e costing issue. As My buddy just purchase a EM so I just checking out on her behalf. :)

To be honest, EM's reno can cost you from anywhere 50/60k to 100k++

It really depends what you want to be done and how nicely you want it to be done.

Also depends heavily on the original condition of the EM

Most EMs are really in poor shape because of the age of the flat.

Do ask your buddy to check out the various completed EM reno t-blogs for ideas and you can gauge the costing from there..

Maybe I can explain. I have not even told my parents (or in-laws) the exact cost. If you want to consider ALL the costs, including aircon & fixtures (bathrooms & kitchen), don't think my IDs know either.

We are very hush-hush about it one reason being that I don't think many people spend a six fig sum on reno, and I don't want to be the subject of speculation/gossip cos of the amount we spent to get our dream home (dream home for now anyway). We/I even refused a newspaper feature simply cos I wasn't comfortable revealing my reno cost on national news(paper).

TNP: http://business.asiaone.com/Business/News/Story/A1Story20120604-350442.html

Second reason being that the extend of works we did means the cost is definitely much higher than the norm... it may not look like it with the fairly minimalist interiors, but some examples of where the higher costs were incurred:

- We hacked 4 walls

- Replaced all the level 1 flooring

- Rebuilt one with a glass partition (between kitchen & study room)

- Partly replaced one with glass walls/door (2BR toilet)

- Used a full-height wooden sliding partition and stairs railing for another (LEGO room)

- Bestview windows and all new doors and windows (including balcony) (and laminates for the bdrm doors)

- Full electrical, including LAN points, numerous power sockets, numerous down lights, and mostly concealed wiring

- Fairly expensive Grohe & Toto bathroom fixtures, including two thermostatic shower mixers

- 6 aircon blowers/2 compressors, fully concealed pipes and ducts

- Concealed pipes (kitchen & bathrooms)

- Numerous roller blinds - extra for the living room balcony door and along 3 out of 4 walls for the study room

The place was in bad shape when we got it so the only things we kept from the original flat were 1. The upstairs parquet floor that were repaired, sanded down and varnished, and 2. A funny light in the store room.

So honestly, I don't think my reno cost is representative if that's the only reason to know the cost.

A third reason is that we used IDs for the reno, as in real IDs and not renovators or contractors... (read for diff between ID/renovator/contractor: http://twentyseventhmay.wordpress.com/2012/02/22/choosing-the-right-interior-designerrenovatorcontractor/). IDs also have to be paid design fees...

The only thing my parents know is that I spent more than 6 figs (and was totally broke before/after reno). Then again, my dad didn't even blink. He just told me that yeah, his friend spent more than $150k on an EM reno a few years ago. :jawdrop:

To be honest, EM's reno can cost you from anywhere 50/60k to 100k++

It really depends what you want to be done and how nicely you want it to be done.

Also depends heavily on the original condition of the EM

Most EMs are really in poor shape because of the age of the flat.

Do ask your buddy to check out the various completed EM reno t-blogs for ideas and you can gauge the costing from there..

You can ask your buddy to check this thread: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4853&st=3920

Agree with thedottyness - generally, you get what you pay for - she can browse the various renoblogs to see the extent of work and design.

A few more thoughts:

1. The condition of the flat matters a lot - most importantly being the flooring IMO, followed by stairs. If the flooring can be retained, that is at least $10K. If the stairs can be retained, at least another $4K to 10K less (depending on the material used for the new stairs railing/steps). For EMs, I think the extra cost vs 5 room flats would mostly come from (i) 1 extra toilet (maybe $3K?), (ii) balcony (including doors/roofing), (iii) extra room, (iv) stairs and (v) aircon.

2. The theme/design will affect the costs. E.g. Industrial theme that doesn't require concealed wiring is cheaper for obvious reasons, and ornate baroque theme that requires cornices, wooden trimmings, chandeliers, etc would cost more.

3. Materials used makes a huge diff - examples of materials that will cost a dent: marble flooring, italian tiles, quartz/silestone kitchen counters, branded fixtures (e.g. Haiku vs KDK fans), expensive lighting.

Edited by adidaem

Just to clarify (and to be fair to my IDs and contractor) - my 6 figs sum includes ALL sunken costs.

So it's not just the reno/contracted amount but EVERYTHING that I cannot move away next time. That means:

- lights

- fans

- kitchen stuff like oven, hob, hood, sink, sink mixer

- bathroom stuff like taps, showers, WC, sinks

- aircon

Without the above items, it is a high 5 figs (what did I say about expensive fixtures earlier... :bleah: )

I think most of the quotations mentioned by RT-ers do not include the sunken costs that I've mentioned, but I've always considered them part of the reno costs since it's not like I can pluck my mixer out of the sink and cart it to my next place unlike my loose furniture.