Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
NeoBY

Lukie's First Home

I wouldnt know which are the hard tiles right...anyway, i realized the problem tile is the white glossy tile cos i used the same wall tile for kitchen and common bathroom.

Is it ceramic tiles? There is bound to have cracks when drilling on tiles. The issue is whether the contractor is willing to rectify/replace the faults or not

NeoBY... hope you know that there is 2 type of tiles, ceramic and homogeneous. The former is easily crack or chip off, the color is different from back and front; the later is harder, it still can crack but chip off is not so obvious as it is same color from back to front. Ask the contractor nicely to replace the crack ones. Also ask the sub con that installing the accessories not to use non-hammer drill to create the hole on tile then switch to hammer drill to drill into the cement layer. This will prevent tile from cracking.

Edited by albertchng

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

NeoBY... hope you know that there is 2 type of tiles, ceramic and homogeneous. The former is easily crack or chip off, the color is different from back and front; the later is harder, it still can crack but chip off is not so obvious as it is same color from back to front. Ask the contractor nicely to replace the crack ones. Also ask the sub con that installing the accessories not to use non-hammer drill to create the hole on tile then switch to hammer drill to drill into the cement layer. This will prevent tile from cracking.

By right By left, the installer should be professional enough to know this trick on how to drill without cracking the tiles right? I know ceramic tiles are easily cracked. Old houses use white ceramic tiles for kitchen and toilets. I saw my father drilling bathroom accessories in toilet, when he realised the crack surfaced, he adjusted something on his drill, and start to drill again. Maybe that was what you referred to as switching to non-hammer drill to hammer drill. Sometimes installers forget about this trick, and when they realised, too late, the crack has surfaced.

By right By left, the installer should be professional enough to know this trick on how to drill without cracking the tiles right? I know ceramic tiles are easily cracked. Old houses use white ceramic tiles for kitchen and toilets. I saw my father drilling bathroom accessories in toilet, when he realised the crack surfaced, he adjusted something on his drill, and start to drill again. Maybe that was what you referred to as switching to non-hammer drill to hammer drill. Sometimes installers forget about this trick, and when they realised, too late, the crack has surfaced.

By right all installers should be certified with certification and charge a fortune to drill hole professionally; by left he maybe a newbie or he is a lazy bum that just want to quickly get the job done. The "thing" you dad adjust on his drill is to switch between hammer action and non-hammer action. If installers forgot about this trick, at most you will see 1 broken tile from each sub-contractor.

Fire and flames... :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

A storm is brewing in the horizon..... :furious:

But instead of doing own tblog, keep on hogging NeoBY.

I was previously in this industries... although i left this biz, i still got contacts; this is the same reason i can use the best material at less than half the price other IDs quoted me. My ex-partner back then is still in the biz but no longer accepting home renovation. They now renovate operating theaters for hospital, laboratories in university. All the sub con(s) doing my 3 room flat are his men and my ex sub con(s)!

Maybe i'll do my own tblog, maybe not... still thinking about it.

Set up your own t-blog dude. Can you imagine how many noobs and newbies here like me will learn? You will "inadvertently" impact lives.

Your approach towards things may be harmless but many might misread your kind intentions.

I totally respect the fact that you're probably one of the very technical reno "veteran" here but firstly, you need to get down to brass tracks before getting the show on the road pal, if you understand what I mean.

:yamseng:

Set up your own t-blog dude. Can you imagine how many noobs and newbies here like me will learn? You will "inadvertently" impact lives.

Your approach towards things may be harmless but many might misread your kind intentions.

I totally respect the fact that you're probably one of the very technical reno "veteran" here but firstly, you need to get down to brass tracks before getting the show on the road pal, if you understand what I mean.

:yamseng:

Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes it is really pissed me off when Platinum Member start coming to attack me out of nowhere. I dont wish to start a t-blog and chit chat sing song to get to Gold Member status. I prefer to offer suggestion or advise that people can use in real life, not bake cake in day dream.

Most likely i'll do a report card type of t-blog showing my reno process, however i will not reveal my ex partner or our sub con(s) as they were pull from big project to do my little flat.

Normally to hack down the wall, bangala(s) with sledge hammer were use; it came quite a surprise that several of my walls were cut using machinery to open up as doorways, the edge were straight, clean cut with minimum patch up. Even the hidden cable management console in my bedroom wall was cut using machinery; the 600mm X 600mm square hole in the wall has straight edges.

Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes it is really pissed me off when Platinum Member start coming to attack me out of nowhere. I dont wish to start a t-blog and chit chat sing song to get to Gold Member status. I prefer to offer suggestion or advise that people can use in real life, not bake cake in day dream.

hhmm..... i wonder who is attacking you.... :o

you can always complain to moderator if you think someone is attacking you or that someone is using this forum to chit chat sing song. i am sure your suggestion would be useful for the moderator so that the forum will not have useless info that are not helping anyone at all.

Hello NeoBY, painted your new place yet? The casement will be swee swee after painted over.

Hi Albert, the casement is painted le. Initially we even top up to plaster the gap between the trunking and this casement to smooth out, but looks it not nicely done up :(

Sigh kinda disappointing response I got frm the contractor.. Quoted from him when I ask how bout the crack tiles in the common toilet his reply " that one can't be help, the use of homogenous tiles may cause some crack lines during installation. The severe ones in the kitchen have already been replaced. This one is only a small hairline on the surface" :furious::jawdrop: I really speechless. I believe been professional we have paid extra dollars for this subconscious to install it & we expect good work, not this kind of ,pardon me ,EXCUSES!

Can anyone suggest or advise if it's thru? Hairline crack on the surface?! Got such thing not first... To me crack is crack... Sigh

Think it's getting uptight cox timeline is short and we didn't want anymore works to be done after handover :(

:help:

Sorry!!! Didn't realize was commenting using neo's account :( apologize for the confusion. The previous 2 comments are made by me instead.

Edited by GraceLoi