Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
piknik

}[ No Money Still Wanna Do Reno ]{

I saw this nyatoh bi-fold door in the forum - myhometown, someone used this as bathroom door. Something special, but not sure whether it is a good idea to use in bathroom unless your bathroom has dry and wet area.

Edited by Topsy

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

We have a quotation for the ceiling work. We feel it's expensive, and need your opinions. Please help.

Fasle Ceiling works: Living

7.1 Supply and install L4400mm x W1100mm slope false ceiling with 3 nos opening for built in lights box (sky light looks alike) $540

7.2 Supply and install L4400mm x W450mm box up for trilles termination. $280

Carpentry works: Living

9.18 Construct L600mm x W900mm x 50mm thick frame in selected laminate finish.(3nos) acrylic panel by others. $900

9.19 Construct and install L3300mm x W75mm x H75mm trilles in selected laminate finsh. (5nos) $1980

We will have the slightly slanted false ceiling @ our platform area, right next to our windows. The faux sky light will be on this false ceiling. There would be max. 5 faux beams running from the wall of the windows across this false ceiling, towards the other end of the ceiling, and at the other end, there is another small area of false ceiling with 3 downlights, for additional lighting source, as recommended by this contractor we are discussing with. All details of ceiling will be painted white..

Drawing:

7098892807_51baf8dba3_c_d.jpg

We forgot to draw the false ceiling with downlights where the beams end.

But hope this good enough for your imagination.

What do you guy think? Just 5 faux beam, 75mm thick, cost 2K. We feel expensive but contractor said its standard practice to charge by per foot run and also workmansh for celing is normally more expensive.. Then the "window" frame for the faux sky light costs $300 each, with same explanation that it's not easy to do... Somemore, we were thought to supply our own acrylic pieces.. When we said we would help to source for the film (to be pasted on the acrylic to disperse the light evenly) ONLY. Haiz...

My hubby thought we might be biased as we are now afraid every contractor just bull**** us n wanna get our money only. Hum...

Hmmmm.....I'm trying my best to imagine.....how should I put it...hmmmm. What if I said not nice from my point of view?

Faux skylight, its does look nice, but it take some knowledge to really put it in good use and create the type of skylight effect. If place it wrongly, not only it doesn't serve its purpose, it will look kinda out of theme and look. So I do hope u consider and look for more advises before you install them. :yamseng:

Hi piknik, if u install the skylight beside the windows, methinks it wld not be as nice as if installed at an enclosed area....like stairwell or corridor.

--- i want white/ beige color for curtains, but hubby likes sunshine yellow better ---

6921617168_23fba86479_z_d.jpg

6921616948_36bd721140_z_d.jpg

7067696447_a13bf11f5b_d.jpg

--- a little bright yellow for a white kitchen ---

7067695709_ddfd0be925_d.jpg

--- love this wall clock ---

6921619090_ab207453f2_d.jpg

I love yellow too, so cheerful! But the boring and practical part of me has chosen the safe colour of white in the end when we did up our kitchen last year. I wished I have been more adventurous. 😊

I love yellow too, so cheerful! But the boring and practical part of me has chosen the safe colour of white in the end when we did up our kitchen last year. I wished I have been more adventurous. 😊

I really like your bright. Colour

I did the same layout. Mine is pink but you can have a fill of how it will look in yellow.

photoidi.jpg

I didnt plan my kitchen layout properly. after doing the place i realized my hole near the sink should put my microwave but i cant liao as the top is where i dry my dishes....so the contractor advise me not to put electrical stuff there. Now i have to think how i can utilize that "hole"

Hmmm....long time didn't heard from you, how the reno going? completed already?

Hi, if my reno has restarted , i would be so excited and would scream "yahoo" right here...

I was away with my family for a while, a break after more than 8 months just staying at home.. Then my daughter and I were down with flu and a lot of birthday dinner within the big family.. It's also kind of depressing to keep going to renotalk and nothing gets done for my renovation. Currently we met one contractor, likes his quote, but don't know if can sign with him...

During the trip. We met my friend who is an architect. My husband discussed the ceiling design with the guy and got an "approval". So my husband will die die want to ceiling up. This has created a few problems for us finding contractors who could understand n be able to get it done..

Sigh.... My neighbours have started to fill this t-blog forum with their smooth renovation progress... Mine is not even done properly.

And seventh month is coming........................................ :bangwall:

I did the same layout. Mine is pink but you can have a fill of how it will look in yellow.

photoidi.jpg

I didnt plan my kitchen layout properly. after doing the place i realized my hole near the sink should put my microwave but i cant liao as the top is where i dry my dishes....so the contractor advise me not to put electrical stuff there. Now i have to think how i can utilize that "hole"

Oh oh... Nice kitchen. Thanks for posting it here.

I like the glass panel in btw the shoe cabinet n the sink area.. Very "pocket-friendly" n still useful as a panel.. How do you find it so far?

I would not have any dish rack at your position. Will just use a table top dish rack to dry the dishes.. Cos I have thought of the weird position at the corner since the beginning.

Hi piknik, what happened to ur contractor Tommy?

Apparently, he refused to sign contract as he believes working without a proper contract means total trust in him. But we didn't believe so, so we parted ways. Anyway, recently we learnt that he seemed to have many many many problems with clients,, due to his "no contract" method. cos since he didn't write down anything, he didn't remember any details abt the projects he is doing, unless people provide him with details in time. But many time he decides on things relying on his memory only, and he screws up most of the time.

In short. We now feel relieved to stop working with such a contractor.

Apparently, he refused to sign contract as he believes working without a proper contract means total trust in him. But we didn't believe so, so we parted ways. Anyway, recently we learnt that he seemed to have many many many problems with clients,, due to his "no contract" method. cos since he didn't write down anything, he didn't remember any details abt the projects he is doing, unless people provide him with details in time. But many time he decides on things relying on his memory only, and he screws up most of the time.

In short. We now feel relieved to stop working with such a contractor.

Good choice...reno is one of the bigger cost items in life other than house & car...how can just entrust all the money to a stranger without black & white! Wonder which homeowner will allow that.

At least u can move on to find the best person for u. :) jia you.