Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kim76

Types Of Kitchen Sinks

Kitchen Sink

I have questions on choosing sinks. There are so many patterns in the market and I need some advise from all the experience sifu out there.

1) Undermount or self rimming?

I will be using solid surface so undermount will look nicer right? Will the contractor charge me more for undermount? Since I believe it is more expensive to mount.

2) Single bowl or double bowl?

Single bowl looks simple and neat but double bowl can let me store my washed plates to let it dry.

krauskbu14.jpgorkrauskbu225050.jpg

3) If double bowl, 50/50 or 70/30?

I lean towards 70/30 cos 70 can have more space for washing and 30 for storing wet plates.

krauskbu225050.jpgorkrauskbu7030.jpg

4) I saw some sink with square corners which look pro but the prices are so much more than the round one. Any idea why? Any advantage or disadvantage of using those sinks?

krauskhu1037030.jpg

Any advise? :dunno: :dunno:

• Like 2

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I prefer top mount than undermount. Reason is, in case in future want to change sink, can easy take out. Undermount would not be possible. Also, if the person who cooks is the chor lor type, (like my mum), she always hit the wok at the rim of the sink. So, if undermount, the contact point would be the table top. Look wise, undermount is nicer. Also, it's easier to sweep any water from the table top into the sink.

As for what kind of bowl, it's up to individual. To me, I must make sure the bowl is big enough for my my house wok. Also, since I am using topmount, I decided to select one that has a drainer platform so that cutting of food can be done on the drainer and then can easily sweep the water onto the sink.

The image sample you posted seems to be all metal type. Not considering granite type?

I chose this one:

Nera colour

http://www.acrysil.com/vivaldi_two_bowl_drainer.html

Edited by beluga

1. Personally, I prefer top mount. Reason .. as what beluga has mention easy to change.

2. Personally, I prefer single bowl. B'coz normally u dont use the small bowl. The small bowl will turn out.. U put plastic bag to collect trash

4. I think I read some where, someone mention square corner hard to make. That's why cost higher.

It's nice.. but no easy to clean as what Confidential has mention

I'm using steel stainless steel bowl

The one I bought come with Crockery Basket

sth Like this

Kohler Rhine Series 1012F Topmount Kitchen Sink

If you want to buy stainless steel sink. Spent a bit more and get a better grade.

Don't save that money.

Now.. my sink.. get stain easily and alot of line but i like the design.

So .. guess.. kind of give and take.

If you want to buy BIG single bowl, ask your contractor for the max size it can fix in. Length, width and deep

I prefer top mount than undermount. Reason is, in case in future want to change sink, can easy take out. Undermount would not be possible. Also, if the person who cooks is the chor lor type, (like my mum), she always hit the wok at the rim of the sink. So, if undermount, the contact point would be the table top. Look wise, undermount is nicer. Also, it's easier to sweep any water from the table top into the sink.

As for what kind of bowl, it's up to individual. To me, I must make sure the bowl is big enough for my my house wok. Also, since I am using topmount, I decided to select one that has a drainer platform so that cutting of food can be done on the drainer and then can easily sweep the water onto the sink.

The image sample you posted seems to be all metal type. Not considering granite type?

I chose this one:

Nera colour

http://www.acrysil.com/vivaldi_two_bowl_drainer.html

Thanks for the detail info! The sink u used looks good! Where did u get it? How much? :dribble: :dribble:

Think for square corners, it will be abit difficult to clean then the rounded counterparts.

This is also what I am afraid of.... :dunno:

1. Personally, I prefer top mount. Reason .. as what beluga has mention easy to change.

2. Personally, I prefer single bowl. B'coz normally u dont use the small bowl. The small bowl will turn out.. U put plastic bag to collect trash

4. I think I read some where, someone mention square corner hard to make. That's why cost higher.

It's nice.. but no easy to clean as what Confidential has mention

I'm using steel stainless steel bowl like your photo on the left.

The one I bought come with Crockery Basket

If you want to buy stainless steel sink. Spent a bit more and get a better grade.

Don't save that money.

Now.. my sink.. get stain easily and alot of line but i like the design.

So .. guess.. kind of give and take.

If you want to buy BIG single bowl, ask your contractor for the max size it can fix in.

Thanks for the advice... Guess I better go and look at some top mount sink this weekend. Is there any recommended brands of sink in the market? I read someone recommend Franke.

Thanks for the detail info! The sink u used looks good! Where did u get it? How much? :dribble: :dribble:

hua chong at bedok.... close to 500 bucks. So so price only. you can look for similar type from blanco brand which are sold in many shops at Japan besar.

Edited by beluga

hua chong at bedok.... close to 500 bucks. So so price only. you can look for similar type from blanco brand which are sold in many shops at Japan besar.

Thanks!! My weekend project :sport-smiley-018: :sport-smiley-018:

I is better to undermount, so that there is less chance of leakage between the top rim and the solid surface. Is easier for contractor to undermount. The sink rim sits on the wooden carpentry top, the solid surface just place above the rim. Water on solid surface just sweep into the undermount sink.

Double bowl in 70/30 is better, I use the smaller one to put the wet garbage bin.

Is better to get those better stainless steel which is darker in colour. Bright stainless steel.. if kena dent/acid burn.. the damage more obvious.

Sharp corners are nicer, but rounded more practical.

Very important is able to match the kitchen tap with the basin. Try to source them together cos mounting position may be akward if tap is too big for basin.

Just my opinions only.

I is better to undermount, so that there is less chance of leakage between the top rim and the solid surface. Is easier for contractor to undermount. The sink rim sits on the wooden carpentry top, the solid surface just place above the rim. Water on solid surface just sweep into the undermount sink.

Double bowl in 70/30 is better, I use the smaller one to put the wet garbage bin.

Is better to get those better stainless steel which is darker in colour. Bright stainless steel.. if kena dent/acid burn.. the damage more obvious.

Very important is able to match the kitchen tap with the basin. Try to source them together cos mounting position may be akward if tap is too big for basin.

Just my opinions only.

Wow! :good: :good: Very good advice.....

I always thought that undermount is more ex as contractor need to alight properly and top mount just slot it in.. haa...

One question, you mentioned better stainless steel which is darker in color, is 304 type consider good? The darker color is differ from brands or type of stainless steel? :dunno: :dunno: Pai sei.. lots of quesions...

Just my opinions only.

That's why I chose one that has drainer with the top mount so that cut food and all wet preparation can be done on the drainer platform itself. This way, the water can easily sweep into the sink. Only problem is that the whole sink is over a meter long. For my case, it's 1.16 meter. It can be shorter is just select 1 big bowl + drainer....

Stumbled upon this webby.... There's a bad comment about under mount as well as granite sink.

renovation-greencoal.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-blanco-sink.html

Stumbled upon this webby.... There's a bad comment about under mount as well as granite sink.

renovation-greencoal.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-blanco-sink.html

wow... thanks for the website.... eyeopener.. :good: