Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kim76

Types Of Kitchen Sinks

After some hiatus I'm back to update on the installation of the 812mm long Kraus sink.

Finally my kitchen carpentry is completed. The solid top and backing glass remain to be seen.

However, there's a problem when the solid top guy came to make measurement.

1. The undermount sink sits on top of the wooden sink cabinet.

2. The solid top edge would exceed by at least 6mm. I chose 10mm. If it exceed too much, we might accidently hit the edge while washing big utensiles.

3. Now the problem is with the s/s bottom grid that came with the sink.

I can't use the bottom grid. I've got sacrifice it........ :furious:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

why?

The problem goes like this:

1. The solid top edge exceeds the circumference of the sink by 10mm

2. The s/s bottom grid sits at the sink bottom nicely and therefore cannot be taken out

3. There are 4 choices on the use of bottom grid:

a) leave the bottom grid permanently trapped

b) reduce the the edge to 2mm. The bottom grid would be taken out. However, the silicon would be exposed and over time the ugly algae would show up

c) cut the bottom grid to size to fit the sink. Bad option. Not easy to cut s/s and cost $

d) Don't use the bottom grid

I chose to take out the bottom grid permanently. :~:~:~

It's not the end of the story for the s/s bottom grid.....

It is not destined to be chucked into the dark corner of the store room........

There's a yet new life for the bottom grid and be useful to the owner.........

Kim76, you may want to consider a new life for your bottom grid as well..........

Please check with your contractor on this problem before your own 23" bottom grid is trapped

To help you to understand here's some of the pictures I took in my earlier posts :

Stainless steel Bottom Grid

bottomgrid.jpg

Stainless steel Bottom Grid sitting in the sink

singapore2012040200020.jpg

To help you to understand here's some of the pictures I took in my earlier posts :

Stainless steel Bottom Grid

bottomgrid.jpg

Hi lyefam, can show more pics of your completed sink at ur counter top? I bought one too and now I am worried... :o

I don't quite understand that Stainless steel Bottom Grid part.

You mean, once they bottom grid put in , it cannot be remove?

actually thinking about it, I thought the counter top opening should flush with the size of the sink opening and it should not protrudes out into the sink area? :unsure:

undermountsink.jpg

Edited by yokechye

Hi Yokechye,

My countertop is in the process of fabrication and would be ready by saturday.

I've taken the decision to get the sink countertop inner opening to converge inward by 10mm all round. The advantage is when wiping off the counter you can just swipe any water or crumbs right over the edge and into the undermount sink.

There's no way I can put in the bottom grid into the sink or take out once the countertop is fitted in.

You may not extend the opening and do as shown in your picture. However, note that the silicone has to be applied at the gap under the countertop to prevent water from seeping. In due time the exposed silicon would turn black with algae.

Whereas in my case, the silicone would be hidden beneath the protruding edge and therefore, the ugly algae would not be seen.

Here's a picture from the net

%7Boption%7D

It's not the end of the story for the s/s bottom grid.....

It is not destined to be chucked into the dark corner of the store room........

There's a yet new life for the bottom grid and be useful to the owner.........

Kim76, you may want to consider a new life for your bottom grid as well..........

Please check with your contractor on this problem before your own 23" bottom grid is trapped

Oh..... I better take note on the opening of the solid surface... I think I will install the sink in another 2 weeks...

Lyefam, please post the complete pictures once your solid surface is up!! :yamseng:

Oh..... I better take note on the opening of the solid surface... I think I will install the sink in another 2 weeks...

Lyefam, please post the complete pictures once your solid surface is up!! :yamseng:

Kim76, at least you have 2 weeks to think about, whereas I have 5 mins to consider the 4 options. I chose to take the bottom grid out of the sink.

Recall in my post yesterday, I mention there's yet a new life await the bottom grid.

Yes, my bottom grid can used as a trivet! :yeah::yeah:

What is a trivet?? :dunno:

A trivet is an object placed between a serving dish or bowl, and a dining table or countertop , usually to protect the table from heat damage.

It may be a metal stand with short feet, used under a hot dish on a table or use for supporting cooking.

Since I have a 2200mm by 1200mm island, my 760mm by 420mm s/s bottom grid can be used as a trivet for hot baking trays, boiling soup pots etc.....

I thought I better explain why my bottom grid can't be used for the sink.

The inner length and depth of the sink is 762mm by 432mm.

The countertop opening would be 742mm by 412mm due to a 10mm protruding edge all round.

My s/s bottom grid size is 760mm by 420mm.

It is impossible to put into or take out of the sink once the countertop is fitted onto the sink cabinet.

If you want to use the bottom grid for the sink, you may have to construct the countertop as shown in the picture from Yokechye. And bear the appearance of the ugly blackish algae silicone later.

For my kitchen countertop, I've added another water outlet.

So I have 2 water outlets.

1 water outlet for the normal tap.

The 2nd water outlet is for a 3-way valve for a spray bidet (a kind of water spray you use in toilet)and a Song Cho water filter (why not choose the ionised alkaline type is a separate story to share later).

Next question is why don't I use a pull out tap instead?

A pull out faucet or sprayer is a no no. My bad experience with this type of tap is that the water tend to seep into the holder and run along the tube beneath the sink. Soon it will dip onto the bottom of the sink wooden cabinet.....

A spray bidet would solve the above problem and can reach the entire sink area.

It is possible to have a tap for all the 3 functions. However, the various different tap turnings would confuse your guests and the turn off mode is a turn on mode on the spray bidet which would constantly apply water pressure on the bidet's water hose and would burst it shortly after

Will update you folks next week and upon completion.

For my kitchen countertop, I've added another water outlet.

So I have 2 water outlets.

1 water outlet for the normal tap.

The 2nd water outlet is for a 3-way valve for a spray bidet (a kind of water spray you use in toilet)and a Song Cho water filter (why not choose the ionised alkaline type is a separate story to share later).

Next question is why don't I use a pull out tap instead?

A pull out faucet or sprayer is a no no. My bad experience with this type of tap is that the water tend to seep into the holder and run along the tube beneath the sink. Soon it will dip onto the bottom of the sink wooden cabinet.....

A spray bidet would solve the above problem and can reach the entire sink area.

It is possible to have a tap for all the 3 functions. However, the various different tap turnings would confuse your guests and the turn off mode is a turn on mode on the spray bidet which would constantly apply water pressure on the bidet's water hose and would burst it shortly after

Will update you folks next week and upon completion.

You really think in depth for your kitchen reno... I'm impressed... Or maybe it my first home, so I'm still unaware of the pitfalls that may come later... Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas... Now i'm looking forward to see some of the finished product.. :yamseng: :yamseng: