Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Akitsuki

Serangoon North Renovation By Defong Interior Design

Your reno progress is looking good! I notice the wall of your kitchen is completely covered with tiles..... R u doing top and bottom cabinets? Cos I remembered my ID only do tiling for the middle portion of the wall and no tiles for top and bottom, just concrete.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

DAY ELEVEN

Despite today is Sunday (rest day for everyone), our contractor made an effort to drive to our house to pass us the laminate samples which we have requested to see bigger piece samples, so that the designs of the laminates are more obvious and easier for us to choose.

So many laminates to choose from... I am starting to get confused :wacko:

332-150.jpg

We shall take our time to choose after dinner. Stay tune!

Edited by ayazumi

Hi potatoes. I noticed that too. I saw some blogs that their kitchens do not have top or bottom kitchen wall tiles because the top and bottom cabinets will cover the concrete wall. We brought this up to our contractor before, we thought that maybe can save some costs, however, his advise was not to do that. I can't remember what is the reason behind it, but if I am not wrong, I think it got to do with unevenness. Actually I feel that it is better to do full wall tiles than leaving top and bottom wall empty because after applying the cement to the wall tiles, the thickness is quite thick. When the kitchen cabinet flush to the concrete wall, the middle part of the tiles will protrude out a little bit.

See this. The thickness of the cement and tiles is very thick. At least 2-3cm thickness difference from the actual wall. This will affect the bottom cabinet width, reduce by 2-3cm. The workmanship must be very good to make sure that the wall tiles sit on the cabinet work surface well, if not they will leave a gap in between

333-151.jpg

And yes, we are doing top and bottom kitchen cabinets

Edited by ayazumi

Your reno progress is looking good! I notice the wall of your kitchen is completely covered with tiles..... R u doing top and bottom cabinets? Cos I remembered my ID only do tiling for the middle portion of the wall and no tiles for top and bottom, just concrete.

Same for our case, they do full tiles first, them cabinet. same thing for floor laminate...

NeoBy: Your agent very good. Help you to do domestic things. We did the transfer ourselves by submitting our application via SP website.

Dont know leh....he said he transfer for us/

Tiles are cheap, it is the labor cost that is expensive. Since the tiler is already laying tiles for the kitchen wall, even if they don't lay tiles for top and bottom areas where kitchen cabinet position is, it will not save much costs too. Not sure why some IDs/contractors lay tiles inbetween the top and bottom cabinets, but not on the top or bottom wall.

Hi potatoes. I noticed that too. I saw some blogs that their kitchens do not have top or bottom kitchen wall tiles because the top and bottom cabinets will cover the concrete wall. We brought this up to our contractor before, we thought that maybe can save some costs, however, his advise was not to do that. I can't remember what is the reason behind it, but if I am not wrong, I think it got to do with unevenness. Actually I feel that it is better to do full wall tiles than leaving top and bottom wall empty because after applying the cement to the wall tiles, the thickness is quite thick. When the kitchen cabinet flush to the concrete wall, the middle part of the tiles will protrude out a little bit.

See this. The thickness of the cement and tiles is very thick. At least 2-3cm thickness difference from the actual wall. This will affect the bottom cabinet width, reduce by 2-3cm. The workmanship must be very good to make sure that the wall tiles sit on the cabinet work surface well, if not they will leave a gap in between

2012-03-25104256.jpg

And yes, we are doing top and bottom kitchen cabinets

the reverse happen in my case. only the backsplash area was tiled. and not the area where top/bottom cabinet resides. after the carpentry is up, sealant is used to cover the 5mm gaps.

the reverse happen in my case. only the backsplash area was tiled. and not the area where top/bottom cabinet resides. after the carpentry is up, sealant is used to cover the 5mm gaps.

Mine same.

Hi Pirvan. I remembered you bought the blanco combo too. Initially, I was quite hesitant to buy due to the price, but after walking a few rounds in the showroom, hearing some sales talk, and comparing the quality of stainless steel sinks and prices, we decided to buy this blanco combo and hopefully the sink can lsst us for very very long. Are you intending to undermount the sink? The sales lady said that if we want to do undermount for this sink, the undermount part can only cover a bit of the sides of the sink. I'm not sure if the sink can support the weight of heavy pots and pans put in the sink, since the only a small part of the side of the sink is covered by silicon or surface top. Do keep me update of your sink.

Hi Aya, we are going to be top mounting the blanco sink thou.. so can't help with anything regarding undermount. Any particular reasons why you'd want to go down the undermount route? LOve the mixer !

Mine same.

Hi getzski and NeoBY. I think potatoes face the same scenario as you. The backsplash area was tiled (the centre part-inbetween top/bottom cabinet), but not at the area where top/bottom cabinet was.

Hi Aya, we are going to be top mounting the blanco sink thou.. so can't help with anything regarding undermount. Any particular reasons why you'd want to go down the undermount route? LOve the mixer !

We have not decide whether to top mount or undermount the sink yet. Both have their advantage and disadvantage. We were just curious, so we asked the sales lady if we can undermount the sink, and if there will be any problem during/after the undermount process. We like the mixer too, so we just decided to install a pipe for hot water to sink

Edited by ayazumi

:o, i was also planning to tile the back splash area only. Save cost :P

The wood laminates are for both your top and bottom cabinet or just the bottom? From the photo, i like the 2nd from left on the 2nd row and the last one on the bottom right. So have you decided?

Hi Valerie. We have not decided yet, but we prefer something lighter. We also like the 2nd laminate (left) from the 2nd row too.

We have not decide whether to top mount or undermount the sink yet. Both have their advantage and disadvantage. We were just curious, so we asked the sales lady if we can undermount the sink, and if there will be any problem during/after the undermount process. We like the mixer too, so we just decided to install a pipe for hot water to sink

i bought the sink combo too! don't mind me asking, how much did u pay for it?

ermm.. actually why u wanna undermount? undermount sinks r terribly hard to upkeep.

hi aya, pls share the price with me too....i bought the very first piece they have....and they did not even an official price for it them. the old lady boss just aga aga quote me a price and say it was a friendly price.

i bought the sink combo too! don't mind me asking, how much did u pay for it?

ermm.. actually why u wanna undermount? undermount sinks r terribly hard to upkeep.

hi aya, pls share the price with me too....i bought the very first piece they have....and they did not even an official price for it them. the old lady boss just aga aga quote me a price and say it was a friendly price.

Hi dotty and getzski. I shall answer the pricing first. Hoe Kee's standard discount for the Blanco + mixer combo is $555. They can deduct $99 if you do not want the mixer. Maybe we look hesitant to buy, so the sales lady wanted to throw in "discount" to convince us to buy.

Dotty: We have not decided whether to undermount or top mount the sink yet, but looking at the pretty Blanco sink, it will look nicer if we top mount the Blanco sink, right?

Edited by ayazumi