Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

That is a Gen 4 EM..I m very sure.The wall from hall to balcony is hacked down to provide the entrance to the balcony.And i sure.that this unit has got a bomb shelter on the study room thus this is last bx of.EM.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hello everyone, I'm very new to renotalk and we recently purchased an EM at Woodlands and will be getting the keys around this month end :yamseng: There's a lot of pages to read here and looked through very briefly. I have some very pressing questions so hopefully somebody can help enlighten me :D

1) We would like to cover up the balcony area's huge gap and currently there's nothing; no windows, no grilles. So our options: a) Place one of those automatic shutters to cover up when it rains b) Have casement windows so light still gets through when it rains.

Since the compressor will be within the balcony area, my question is, is it practical to cover up the balcony? We would like to use the balcony for gatherings so covering it up does seem attractive and currently leaning towards casement windows; just don't know if there's a downside to this.

2) The kitchen isn't exactly big, especially with the toilet in it, so I need lots of cabinets for storage. So my questions is, is a hood really necessary for cooking? I foresee medium cooking on most days with heavy occasionally. I would love to have a hood if it will actually serve it's function well but I've hear horror stories in which hoods just seem to circulate hot air around the kitchen so after some time, people just stop using it. I don't want a hood sitting on the wall looking pretty when I can have cabinets in their place for my precious storage.

That's it for now and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hello everyone, I'm very new to renotalk and we recently purchased an EM at Woodlands and will be getting the keys around this month end :yamseng: There's a lot of pages to read here and looked through very briefly. I have some very pressing questions so hopefully somebody can help enlighten me :D

1) We would like to cover up the balcony area's huge gap and currently there's nothing; no windows, no grilles. So our options: a) Place one of those automatic shutters to cover up when it rains b) Have casement windows so light still gets through when it rains.

Since the compressor will be within the balcony area, my question is, is it practical to cover up the balcony? We would like to use the balcony for gatherings so covering it up does seem attractive and currently leaning towards casement windows; just don't know if there's a downside to this.

2) The kitchen isn't exactly big, especially with the toilet in it, so I need lots of cabinets for storage. So my questions is, is a hood really necessary for cooking? I foresee medium cooking on most days with heavy occasionally. I would love to have a hood if it will actually serve it's function well but I've hear horror stories in which hoods just seem to circulate hot air around the kitchen so after some time, people just stop using it. I don't want a hood sitting on the wall looking pretty when I can have cabinets in their place for my precious storage.

The best option to me is to use the automatic shutter, follow by casement windows in btm. Anyway,the shutter has remote for you to adjust the height. As for the hood, I am not in favour of having one.Its just makes the kitchen to look complete only.by the way, which part of woodlands is your mansionette located?...got any bombshelter

inside??

The best option to me is to use the automatic shutter, follow by casement windows in btm. Anyway,the shutter has remote for you to adjust the height. As for the hood, I am not in favour of having one.Its just makes the kitchen to look complete only.by the way, which part of woodlands is your mansionette located?...got any bombshelter

Thanks for the reply! I suppose the shutter and bottom casement windows option will be alright. The full height casement windows would have looked pretty and it will let more light in as well. This needs a bit more thinking haiz!

Yes, exactly! I would rather not have a hood (saves money as well :D )

It's nearer to Woodlands MRT and in the 800s. I see you're in Woodlands too. Which part are you in? And no bomb shelter.

Thanks for the reply! I suppose the shutter and bottom casement windows option will be alright. The full height casement windows would have looked pretty and it will let more light in as well. This needs a bit more thinking haiz!

Yes, exactly! I would rather not have a hood (saves money as well :D )

It's nearer to Woodlands MRT and in the 800s. I see you're in Woodlands too. Which part are you in? And no bomb shelter.

I m in the 700+

mine is at 788B..144m3..how.abt yours?.Care to share your block? and the square meter? i m into different designs of EM..

mine is at 788B..144m3..how.abt yours?.Care to share your block? and the square meter? i m into different designs of EM..

Ohh so you're nearer to the Admiralty side then. Mine's Block 827, 145sqm. Do you have a t-blog for your renovation??

Another thing bothering me...why do some contractor say staircase railing have to be replaced when do re-tiling for staircase and some say can be retained?

The thing is, my current railing is full stainless-steel and it'll such a waste if it had to be replaced... Thought of doing glass but simply too ex for my budget :(

We had the same issue when deciding whether to redo our staircase or not. You need to see if your staircase railings are the screw on type, or the embedded in tile type. If it's screwed on, it's as easy as removing the entire railing and fixing it up later onto the new tiles. If it's embedded in the original tile, that's where there's a problem because you can't hack the old tiles without damaging the railing (unless the workers are willing to do it super slowly around the railings so as to avoid damages.

Ours was the embedded into the tile type, so we chose to overlay parquet strips on top of the original tiles, and retained the original steel railing with timbre top. Hope this helps! :)

We did away with the hood for our kitchen. My own experience with a hood back in my old place was that it didn't do much good for the fumes :P Another ID shared with us that he found his hood (and he used an industrial one at that!) useless and recommends his clients to do away with the hood. Of course, some people still swear by their hoods, so there's really no hard and fast rule. It depends on how often you cook and what type of cooking you do I guess? My guess is, if you really do quite a bit of frying, no hood is useful unless you use those that they use in hawker centres (the humongous ones :P).