Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi spikedoll

Is it slippery? Will it match with glass railings?

I really need opinions n sugg frm the pioneers of EMs ;)

Go for wood.... it is warm and comfortable. Further more it has no grout lines :)

Go for wood.... it is warm and comfortable. Further more it has no grout lines :)

After reading I told my ah lao and we decided to drop the idea of using tiles..hahaha..thanks...ah lao called ID to change.. :notti:

After reading I told my ah lao and we decided to drop the idea of using tiles..hahaha..thanks...ah lao called ID to change.. :notti:

Tks for all e info.

Hubby wants tiling so dnt have to bother abt painting works at stairs area in future. Bt wood sounds safer with kids in e hse.

Hi guys,need your help or advise here please!!

I've just got a EM, corner unit with recess area which I really love but I've got a big big headache.

After all calculations done, i'm left with only around 40K++ to do renovations + buying accessories eg lights & taps/hood&hob etc...which i intend to buy at JB.

Now the issue is, I have quite a bit to do with that budget which I listed below,

. full living area including ceiling currently covered with wallpaper which have to be removed before paintjob(will contractor charge for this??)

. intend to shift main door to front of recess area and fully cover up recess corridor area.

. hack 2 walls: 1) to merge recess area and utility room as dining area and 2) part of wall seperating living & kitchen for open concept with breakfast/bartop counter.

. install aluminium grilles for main door and aluminuim grilles/sliding windows for recess area cover-up at parapet.

. hacking of existing sliding windows at balcony and install wrought iron or aluminuim grill for open balcony concept.

. re-tiling of living area & staircase with homogeneous and recess area/balcony with outdoor tiles.

. basic overhaul of all 3 tiolets need to do.

. hacking of existing kitchen cabinet and re-do cabinet due to its old/worn condition.

. doing a simple L-box/false ceiling for living area

. doing a simple feature wall + TV console for living area.

. revarnishing of all 3 bedrooms existing parquet flooring.

. The unit has a 6month old mitsubishi inverter aircon which I intend to re-use as its still spanking new.

. Is it compulsory to do whole house re-wiring for resale EM?

Simply put, im a 'poor' fella wanting to have a nice house for my family.. :)

So I'm really hoping you guys could give or recommend any reno contractors which you know are having good/attractive packages which covers part of my list(if all the better ;p) at a reasonable package price so I can do all these but still within my stated budget...

I know it sounds crazy but I've read somewhere that someone did quite a lot on his EM reno at total of around 35-40K only... Hope i can achieve the same..

Thanks in advance guys!!

Sorry to say but you would unlikely be able to come below the budget you set for the things you want to do.

Try getting quotes from IDs and taking items out in order to come under your set budget. EM renovation prices have consistently increased in the past two years I've observed. So what you might be able to do with 40k will be less.

I did my Reno recently at about 42k without electrical. I suggest u overlay instead of re-tiling if possible. That will save significant $. I did downstairs total revamp with over lay of vinyl tiles, hacked 2 walls to open up my kitchen to dining, hack out a small wall to make a bar counter to open up to the living room. 3 toilets n the kitchen. Stairs up just polish (?) the parquet. I do have L box n cove lights n I also re plaster my house from sand stone to smooth smooth.

Hi piggicia!

Which contractor did u used?

Ive got quotes btwn 72-85k from 4 diff contractors for full overhaul. Tempered glass railings alone is 7k, all same price.

One qn: btwn wrought irin & alum grilles, which is more ex?

My layout has 2 small windows further in at the balcony. Intend to extend my living area bt hw to hang curtains there when the windows not align? Anybdy wif similar layout, pls pls share yr solution with me.

Lots of thanks!!

(quote name='Piggicia' timestamp='1361603973' post='783941']

I did my Reno recently at about 42k without electrical. I suggest u overlay instead of re-tiling if possible. That will save significant $. I did downstairs total revamp with over lay of vinyl tiles, hacked 2 walls to open up my kitchen to dining, hack out a small wall to make a bar counter to open up to the living room. 3 toilets n the kitchen. Stairs up just polish (?) the parquet. I do have L box n cove lights n I also re plaster my house from sand stone to smooth smooth.

Seems like mine is "bare minimum".. I didn't do the glass stair railings coz I have kids n hate to clean. Haha.. I dun have built in cupboards except the kitchen cabinet. I did change the grilles to aluminum.. I did change all the doors too..

To me, honestly.. Reno is really totally dependent on budget. I met my budget but it might not meet your style. We like simple & practical. Pretty things are tempting. Latest trends are appealing.. But we tried to be as conservative as we can. I did almost by new furniture everywhere except my bed & dining table. So a bulk of my $ went to furnishings & fittings. My balcony has chengai decking which I friend did it for us at friend rates.

My contractor doesn't come from a fancy big interior design firm.. So dun expect too much. Workmanship I find is not too bad. It's my 2nd time engaging him. He is honest in telling me what works n what doesn't. Arts Advance- Ivan

Hi piggicia!

Which contractor did u used?

Ive got quotes btwn 72-85k from 4 diff contractors for full overhaul. Tempered glass railings alone is 7k, all same price.

One qn: btwn wrought irin & alum grilles, which is more ex?

My layout has 2 small windows further in at the balcony. Intend to extend my living area bt hw to hang curtains there when the windows not align? Anybdy wif similar layout, pls pls share yr solution with me.

Lots of thanks!!

Perhaps you can show your floor plan and we can advise. Wrought iron is more expensive. I originally wanted wrought iron window grilles at my common corridor windows...... Abandoned because of cost.

Depending on design, hacking walls may need PE certification = additional cost.

Doors are not cheap. If you do your front door, you may be tempted to do the rest "to match" and there's a large number of doors in an EM once you get started...... I kept all my original doors. Good quality solid Chengai wood, just retro style. Live with it loh.

Carpentry can be expensive if you start doing toilet counters, built in wardrobes, etc, can you do without those?

Wiring. The youngest EM is also more than ten years old already; if yours is past its teens, do consider switching out the old wiring and circuit breakers for safety. Also, the existing amount of lighting points may have to change to match the placement of your furniture, work and living areas. Electrical work isn't something you can completely avoid.

Even if it is just small money, reconsider if you really need false ceiling/feature walls. Make sure your basic infrastructure is taken care of first (water pipes, electrical, structural), move to function, before working on aesthetics.

Cant seem to upload floor plan.. How to do it guys?

Edited by Mom4

Perhaps you can show your floor plan and we can advise. Wrought iron is more expensive. I originally wanted wrought iron window grilles at my common corridor windows...... Abandoned because of cost.

Tks cleong.. thing is we hate e push lock system wif wrought iron. Current flat is WI but after 7yrs, some locks alrdy quite loose n unsafe for kids. Is the WI lock system diff nw?

I just bought a EM at Bukit Batok, right next to West Mall. Corner unit, 143sqm. COV is 60K.

Now going to look for my old contractor to do renovations. My budget for reno and furnishings is $100K. Hopefully this will be enough. :)

So excited to finally get a EM. Need the space especially with 3 kids.