Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
snappy

About Altar

I'm a regular devotee at the seng hong temple @ Arumugam Road but I wouldn't say that I know alot about temples - thanks for paying me such a flattering compliment. :rolleyes:

The necessity of an altar or a shrine at home is for the purpose of prayers from my perspective.

Is there a special reason why U had concerns over having an altar at home?

You are welcome. Indeed I have seen many postings by you in other columns, indicating to me that you have much related knowledge and contacts.

I have heard that if the house concept have dark tones, it is easy to draw unnatural things to dwell. I like to have a change of my environment and go for more dark colours. Then came along my friends comments, you know. I am not really a praying type. Just want it for protective purpose. Another concern is heard that house too dark shouldn't place altar. Altar should be in bright places. Your advice is much appreciated since you are a regular devotee.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

You are welcome. Indeed I have seen many postings by you in other columns, indicating to me that you have much related knowledge and contacts.

I have heard that if the house concept have dark tones, it is easy to draw unnatural things to dwell. I like to have a change of my environment and go for more dark colours. Then came along my friends comments, you know. I am not really a praying type. Just want it for protective purpose. Another concern is heard that house too dark shouldn't place altar. Altar should be in bright places. Your advice is much appreciated since you are a regular devotee.

According to this geomencer who appears frequently on TV & has his own followers (fans), he has published many videos & one of these has drawn many parallels with what your friends had shared with u regarding the altar position. (he is not my fengshui master even though mine is also a taiwanese)

林正義老師開講 : 居家風水之神位

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=FL_A2N6_aIqWwSbfObv9pdqw&feature=player_detailpage&v=wKvnziCGotU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKvnziCGotU

But is there any special reasons why u would want to opt for dark colours for the entire flat? From my perspective, unless u are an extremely positive & easygoing person to the extent that u could tolerate any problems & issues that come your way, otherwise, I would recommend that u pair off the dark colour with another lighter tone.

As most of us are psychologically affected by our surroundings, dark colours have a stronger tendency to promote negativity & pessimism. An Indian neighbour had also mentioned to me that dark houses promote dark thoughts. Hope that u do not feel offended with these candid remarks.

By the way, do u intend to get your flat audited by a fengshui master? Please do not misconstrue my remarks as selling u any services becox I'm not a fengshui master myself.

I would also like to take this opportunity to share with u on what happened to one of my sister inlaw's home 5 years ago. She bought a 4 room flat that was opposite the vacant land in front of Hougang Mall. It was sold below valuation & the Malay owners had it renovated like a palace. The valuation report was renewed 3 times. Anyway, she bought it & didn't do any renovation apart from changing the colour scheme on the walls.

The flat itself was already dim-looking becox it had been blocked by another block. As apple green was her favourite, she painted the entire living room a pastel green. Then, she had an altar with Tua Pekong positioned in her living room. And 3 months down the road, a spirit of an old lady appeared in the MBR & it seems like she's earthbound right in that room & does move around in other parts of the house occasionally. And she created alot of disturbances but the MBR was the favourite place for her.

Edited by edenstrauss

As most of us are psychologically affected by our surroundings, dark colours have a stronger tendency to promote negativity & pessimism. An Indian neighbour had also mentioned to me that dark houses promote dark thoughts. Hope that u do not feel offended with these candid remarks.

By the way, do u intend to get your flat audited by a fengshui master? Please do not misconstrue my remarks as selling u any services becox I'm not a fengshui master myself.

I would also like to take this opportunity to share with u on what happened to one of my sister inlaw's home 5 years ago. She bought a 4 room flat that was opposite the vacant land in front of Hougang Mall. It was sold below valuation & the Malay owners had it renovated like a palace. The valuation report was renewed 3 times. Anyway, she bought it & didn't do any renovation apart from changing the colour scheme on the walls.

The flat itself was already dim-looking becox it had been blocked by another block. As apple green was her favourite, she painted the entire living room a pastel green. Then, she had an altar with Tua Pekong positioned in her living room. And 3 months down the road, a spirit of an old lady appeared in the MBR & it seems like she's earthbound right in that room & does move around in other parts of the house occasionally. And she created alot of disturbances but the MBR was the favourite place for her.

I agree on dark colours and dark areas. It seem to attract other beings. Happened to me (I discovered I got pinched after wake up). The room was dark and windows seldom opened.

Will fengshui be able to tell if the place has other beings?

Can you share with me privately what is being taught/done in the temple that you go? Out of curiosity. my email lukie@hotmail.sg. Thanks!

I agree on dark colours and dark areas. It seem to attract other beings. Happened to me (I discovered I got pinched after wake up). The room was dark and windows seldom opened.

Will fengshui be able to tell if the place has other beings?

Can you share with me privately what is being taught/done in the temple that you go? Out of curiosity. my email lukie@hotmail.sg. Thanks!

Hi I can pm you at your renotalk mailbox :) but this temple didn't impart any of these special skills to me.

I always felt that it's better to have a bright home than one that is dim & dark. It does make ordinary folks feel pessimistic.

My understanding of "altar" is where ppl put their tangible offerings onto, as sin ofering, to God. They were placed right in front OUTSIDE of the house.

These days, ppls have made "altar" INDOOR, and become a tangible place where God status sits.

God is a spirit who residues in ppls' heart, He "see" through ppls' heart(motive).

Worship Him with "heart", not altar.

My understanding of "altar" is where ppl put their tangible offerings onto, as sin ofering, to God. They were placed right in front OUTSIDE of the house.

These days, ppls have made "altar" INDOOR, and become a tangible place where God status sits.

God is a spirit who residues in ppls' heart, He "see" through ppls' heart(motive).

Worship Him with "heart", not altar.

Whaaa, you christian also talk altar huh?

Don't you know different god expect differently? Some expect prayers, some expect good deeds, some expect sacrifice.....

Altar is also a form of respect....

Whaaa, you christian also talk altar huh?

Don't you know different god expect differently? Some expect prayers, some expect good deeds, some expect sacrifice.....

Altar is also a form of respect....

Lau ah Di(addressing u this way, i aldy "discount" myself), why always like to exercise right brain more than the left one?

History reveals everythings!

I read Chinese history from 黄帝(~BC 2700), 夏(when 12 earthy branch began),商,周,秦,汉,,,,三国,,,五代十国,,,宋,金,元,,,中华人民共和国(since 1949) I've read too many chinese "中国古代典籍" since young, including "封神榜", "西游记"....all mentioned abt altar(some time also called ”鼎“)where offerings were put onto.

I've also "finished" reading 66 books of the old(39) & new(27)testaments. Go and check 1st bk, Genesis chapter 22:9. Wherever Abraham travelled, he built the "altar" outside his houses.

Lau Di, why I remembered "so well" abt "altar"? During those days when LAWS ruled, they were engraved on stone tablets. Now the stone tablets have "broken", the LAWS are written into human's heart! May be too "deep" for u to understand.

Lau ah Di(addressing u this way, i aldy "discount" myself), why always like to exercise right brain more than the left one?

History reveals everythings!

I read Chinese history from 黄帝(~BC 2700), 夏(when 12 earthy branch began),商,周,秦,汉,,,,三国,,,五代十国,,,宋,金,元,,,中华人民共和国(since 1949) I've read too many chinese "中国古代典籍" since young, including "封神榜", "西游记"....all mentioned abt altar(some time also called ”鼎“)where offerings were put onto.

I've also "finished" reading 66 books of the old(39) & new(27)testaments. Go and check 1st bk, Genesis chapter 22:9. Wherever Abraham travelled, he built the "altar" outside his houses.

Lau Di, why I remembered "so well" abt "altar"? During those days when LAWS ruled, they were engraved on stone tablets. Now the stone tablets have "broken", the LAWS are written into human's heart! May be too "deep" for u to understand.

So shall I call you Lau ah Hia? (still don't know you well enough...maybe I half price for nothing). Told you liao....I got both brain same size, really admire your left big brain.

I only read china's neighbour scripts, from Vedas, Sutras, Brahmanas, Upanishads, Aranyakas, Tantras, Purva Minamsa, Samkhya an always the Puja room is in the house, never hear of Puja corridor.

I think we have in common is the testaments

So which law you talking about? Chinese, Hindu or Christian?

But is there any special reasons why u would want to opt for dark colours for the entire flat? From my perspective, unless u are an extremely positive & easygoing person to the extent that u could tolerate any problems & issues that come your way, otherwise, I would recommend that u pair off the dark colour with another lighter tone.

Read that home for relax, rest, so dark colours should be suitable. Anyway personally like blacks. Not a problem with any remarks, appreciate.

Still thinking about whether to engage fengshi master ot not. Had heard quite some bad feedbacks from friends

This is eerie, now got one more story to digest. So how is you Sis inlaw now? You mean colour was the main reason causing this?

Read that home for relax, rest, so dark colours should be suitable. Anyway personally like blacks. Not a problem with any remarks, appreciate.

Still thinking about whether to engage fengshi master ot not. Had heard quite some bad feedbacks from friends

This is eerie, now got one more story to digest. So how is you Sis inlaw now? You mean colour was the main reason causing this?

Hi thanks for commenting. :)

She did all sorts of things to chase that old lady's spirit away. She even screamed at the old lady in the middle of the night when she pinched the toes of my brother inlaw & herself. And she's a real peeping Tom when anybody uses the mbr toilet.

After screaming, things were peaceful for about 1 week plus then this horrible old lady came back with a crazy vengeance. She did all kinds of things including sending dining table crashing to the floor.

It got so bad that the neighbours nearby put up talisman & religious gadgets above their doors. The worse part was a regular postman whose a Malay uncle remarked that when he delivered a parcel to one of my nieces whose always buying things online, he saw an old lady sitting at the sofa looking at him. But not responding when he told her to sign for the parcel. :(

Eventually, my sister inlaw found this taoist medium with a home shrine in a landed property at Joo Chiat, somewhere behind the dumpling store at Everitt Road. She is pretty well known as the "bai yi gu niang" (lady in white) medium.

She was being driven to my sis inlaw's flat in hougang at about 6 plus in the evening & she wasn't in trance. Jux like us normal folks.

My sis inlaw told me that she started by burning 3 joss sticks & talking in a funny language to the Tua pekong. Then, she entered the mbr, left door opened & started talking in hokkien, teochew & all of a sudden switched to Chinese.

My sis inlaw & her hubby didn't see anybody but she saw that the medium was standing near the centre and talking to nobody towards the direction of the mbr toilet. :(

Then the old lady complained that she had no "kuo lu qian" to bribe her way to where she's supposed to go. The medium told her never to return to disturb anybody once she takes the $$ and go.

My sis inlaw followed her instructions, and went down & burn the paper $$ and offerings to her. She said that it was a blood chilling moment becox there was very very strong wind while she was burning.

To be very frank, I didn't believe in the "guo lu qian" thing until I heard about this story & what happened to another freak accident case I think in Clementi. The son died there as he was being ran over. Then he appealed to his father on his sufferings & eventually, a few coffee drinkers nearby caught a glimpse of his shadowy self loitering along the road... And seems to be weeping. :( it's scary & sad!

Back to my sis inlaw's flat, it's been 4-5 years already & seems like it is peaceful but her flat remains dim. All her 3 kids are mainstream degree holders, of whom one of them is a government scholar.

Edited by edenstrauss

• Like 1

"power" is invisible in human eyes. There are no certificates that says "monk A is better than monk B". (To be honest, i am just a scientific person, everything i want to do - must be able to see with naked eyes and prove with evidence ..)

Tell you a real fact ...

In March 2012, I recently took the guts to move my guanyin statue from one location to another, and also change the statue (go to near sim lim area to buy new statue). All these after x years, nothing happen to me. But i took the guts. Even discussed with my wife, etc. I also think who can transfer the "spirit" from old statue to new statue ...(u know ah ...people say "invite god easy, send god away difficult)

Am i better now ? I don't know. Nothing bad happen so far, except creating more space in the living room. My family and job all ok. I don't buy 4d/toto etc so nothing happen to my gambling luck.

Now a bit of this process since most of you might be interested.

a) bought a new urn - added with some fengshui coins and some beans, transfer old "powder" to new urn. Place in front of guanyin and let it stay there permanently

b) bought a new guanyin statuue - with more color on the face, eyes open, etc

That is all i can say so far. Let me know if u have more questions

Still very confuse about monks and taoists. Anyway, i think as long as they do blessing, should be okay right? Heard from one friend that there are bogus one, after blessing also no peace at home. So better be careful to look for the right one. Is it the older the monk the better sign its a workable one?

I didn't know guanyin can bless toto, 4d?

I thought old urn is better than new one

Hi thanks for commenting. :)

She did all sorts of things to chase that old lady's spirit away. She even screamed at the old lady in the middle of the night when she pinched the toes of my brother inlaw & herself. And she's a real peeping Tom when anybody uses the mbr toilet.

After screaming, things were peaceful for about 1 week plus then this horrible old lady came back with a crazy vengeance. She did all kinds of things including sending dining table crashing to the floor.

It got so bad that the neighbours nearby put up talisman & religious gadgets above their doors. The worse part was a regular postman whose a Malay uncle remarked that when he delivered a parcel to one of my nieces whose always buying things online, he saw an old lady sitting at the sofa looking at him. But not responding when he told her to sign for the parcel. :(

Eventually, my sister inlaw found this taoist medium with a home shrine in a landed property at Joo Chiat, somewhere behind the dumpling store at Everitt Road. She is pretty well known as the "bai yi gu niang" (lady in white) medium.

She was being driven to my sis inlaw's flat in hougang at about 6 plus in the evening & she wasn't in trance. Jux like us normal folks.

My sis inlaw told me that she started by burning 3 joss sticks & talking in a funny language to the Tua pekong. Then, she entered the mbr, left door opened & started talking in hokkien, teochew & all of a sudden switched to Chinese.

My sis inlaw & her hubby didn't see anybody but she saw that the medium was standing near the centre and talking to nobody towards the direction of the mbr toilet. :(

Then the old lady complained that she had no "kuo lu qian" to bribe her way to where she's supposed to go. The medium told her never to return to disturb anybody once she takes the $$ and go.

My sis inlaw followed her instructions, and went down & burn the paper $$ and offerings to her. She said that it was a blood chilling moment becox there was very very strong wind while she was burning.

To be very frank, I didn't believe in the "guo lu qian" thing until I heard about this story & what happened to another freak accident case I think in Clementi. The son died there as he was being ran over. Then he appealed to his father on his sufferings & eventually, a few coffee drinkers nearby caught a glimpse of his shadowy self loitering along the road... And seems to be weeping. :( it's scary & sad!

Back to my sis inlaw's flat, it's been 4-5 years already & seems like it is peaceful but her flat remains dim. All her 3 kids are mainstream degree holders, of whom one of them is a government scholar.

You know a lot :good: :good: Ask your opinion, so guanyin can chase away spirits? Or must use others?