Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wheat

My First Reno Journey

Hi all,

Will be getting the keys to my first home soon and so came to this forum to look for advice for renovation. This is my floor plan and will be looking to speak to about 3 IDs in the coming days

floorplan.jpg

Your layout is almost identical to mine! Except for the balcony shape. Haha :P

Congrats! Hope your renovation is going well!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

HappyAng, actually my Reno have not started yet, hacking to start tml!! For the moment, will just share the per-reno photos...

e593dadc9fb42fbe60d6ab38e3e183e1.jpg

5065a806fbdba09325526cc3f2410650.jpg

27301c5bec9c0f8621ea929067ca3308.jpg

3ddd57892217ceabc880d8b26667a4f6.jpg

As you can see, my place is quite barren as I gt it from SOB. Btw, do you guys go 打招呼 with your new neighbors before hacking starts?

Hope to share the reno pic soon!

HappyAng, actually my Reno have not started yet, hacking to start tml!! For the moment, will just share the per-reno photos...

e593dadc9fb42fbe60d6ab38e3e183e1.jpg

5065a806fbdba09325526cc3f2410650.jpg

27301c5bec9c0f8621ea929067ca3308.jpg

3ddd57892217ceabc880d8b26667a4f6.jpg

As you can see, my place is quite barren as I gt it from SOB. Btw, do you guys go 打招呼 with your new neighbors before hacking starts?

Hope to share the reno pic soon!

Wow, u got it from SOBF? Lucky u. Tomorrow Sat can hacking meh? Yes, we planned to visit our neighbours and pass them cookie and chocolate tomorrow. We will start our hacking on 09/01/13. :sport-smiley-004:

Camping here to see more photos. Thanx. :yamseng:

Hi! :) Where did you get your coffee table from? I likes

Hi SeirenGrey, I got mine from Comfort Design. The one that I bought was a prototype hence is selling at a cheaper price. I have seem similar coffee table at OM as well as Lush. You might want to check them out as well.

Woah! How much u paid for the unit? So lucky to yet it from HDB direct!

Hahaha..maybe it's fate..I also tried BTO for umpteen times but always not successful. Got it at 550K, but the reno required is making me cough out whatever I managed to save from COV..

Hahaha..maybe it's fate..I also tried BTO for umpteen times but always not successful. Got it at 550K, but the reno required is making me cough out whatever I managed to save from COV..

Wow! Good price! $550K, no COV. :yamseng:

Wish u a smooth renovation. :yamseng:

Officially signed the deal today! Made a lot if decisions as well...choose laminate for all the cabinets and wardrobe, solid top colour, PD door design, floor laminate colour, headboard cushion colour...

Also kena neighbor complain on day one...say his ceiling cracked after my hacking...zzz....

Wow,

You are lucky like striking 4D. At least COV saved can be utilised to do Reno to your liking mah

Wishing you all the best for your Reno journey! :yamseng:

Finally, i have some spare time to pen down in detail the renov journey thus far (retrospective entry).

All in all, we only shortlisted 3 IDs and 1 contractor based on recommendations from friends and forums. Secretly, i admire forumers who have the patience, strength and enthusiasm to share with >10 IDs/contractors their ideas. The wifey and i felt so brain draining after each session with an ID/contractor :wacko: . I guess we're both lazy bums :dunno:

Having some ideads in mind and wanting scandinavian as the theme, we spoke to 4 shortlisted IDs/Contractor:

1. Inside Living, J - Our first impression of her was a down to earth lady and someone who we can entrusted this entire project to. We felt comfortable sharing with her our ideas. She gave us some input as well. Most importantly, we can sense the sincereity in her.

2. Urban Design, S - Design was normal. No input from her and we felt that if we engage her services, we might as well find a contractor.

3. Dhome, L - Impressive design from this ID. Naturally, the wow factor came with a price! Apart from the price, another main factor that stopped us from engaging his services is due to his hmmm.. how do i put it... sloppy attitude? He sent his assistant to meet us on out first appointment as he was sick. Okay, acceptable reason. But on the third appointment with him, he stood us up. Called him several times but didnt pick up his phone. The moment he stood us up, we decided nono :no: , this ID is not reliable. We might just MIA during this renov journey.

4. Famous K - Saw several of his project in the t-blog :good: But he's too pricey for us. Though he justifies that he uses good material and good workmanship, i guess being high in demand has raised his market value as well.

So after several meetings, we decided to engage Inside Living, J. We had a site meeting with all the sub-con, plumber, electrician, aircon man, window etc on last saturday, 05/01/13. So far, she hasn't disappoint us. During the site meeting, she portrayed her management skills and seems to be a good coordinator. After some bargaining, we offically closed the deal with on last tuesday, 8/01/13! :deal:

We have more or less finalized the 2D floor plan:

IMG_1666_zps58d45e14.jpg

Due to budge constraint, we decided to retain the marble flooring on the first floor and do laminate flooring for the second floor. For laminate flooring, we have engaged the services from inovar floor.

Basically, these are the list of major things that we intended to do:

- a 7ft half height shoe cabinet beside the door entrance

- Hack away the existing kitchen wall and extend it to about 4 inches longer.

- A collapsable folding door entrance to the kitchen. Initially, we wanted a glass slide/swing door as wifey was against the idea of open concept kitchen for the fear of greasiness to the house when she cooks. Then, we decided on collapsable folding door entrance so that we can have the privilegde of having an open/close kitchen. Best of both world :D

- A 4ft island counter with rollers in the kitchen.

- Glass block divder to create divder for washing and kitchen area. At the same time, the glass block serves to bring in some light into the kitchen :good:

- Storage area underneath the staircase

- Brick wall feature at the TV console area (a must have for scandinavian theme!)

- 4" Platform at the back of the living room & a low storage c/w special hinges as work table which is directly behind the sofa.

- Convert bedroom 2 & 3 to the new MBR becox we find the existing MBR ted small

- Integrated WIW & study area

Finally, i have some spare time to pen down in detail the renov journey thus far (retrospective entry).

All in all, we only shortlisted 3 IDs and 1 contractor based on recommendations from friends and forums. Secretly, i admire forumers who have the patience, strength and enthusiasm to share with >10 IDs/contractors their ideas. The wifey and i felt so brain draining after each session with an ID/contractor :wacko: . I guess we're both lazy bums :dunno:

Having some ideads in mind and wanting scandinavian as the theme, we spoke to 4 shortlisted IDs/Contractor:

1. Inside Living, J - Our first impression of her was a down to earth lady and someone who we can entrusted this entire project to. We felt comfortable sharing with her our ideas. She gave us some input as well. Most importantly, we can sense the sincereity in her.

2. Urban Design, S - Design was normal. No input from her and we felt that if we engage her services, we might as well find a contractor.

3. Dhome, L - Impressive design from this ID. Naturally, the wow factor came with a price! Apart from the price, another main factor that stopped us from engaging his services is due to his hmmm.. how do i put it... sloppy attitude? He sent his assistant to meet us on out first appointment as he was sick. Okay, acceptable reason. But on the third appointment with him, he stood us up. Called him several times but didnt pick up his phone. The moment he stood us up, we decided nono :no: , this ID is not reliable. We might just MIA during this renov journey.

4. Famous K - Saw several of his project in the t-blog :good: But he's too pricey for us. Though he justifies that he uses good material and good workmanship, i guess being high in demand has raised his market value as well.

So after several meetings, we decided to engage Inside Living, J. We had a site meeting with all the sub-con, plumber, electrician, aircon man, window etc on last saturday, 05/01/13. So far, she hasn't disappoint us. During the site meeting, she portrayed her management skills and seems to be a good coordinator. After some bargaining, we offically closed the deal with on last tuesday, 8/01/13! :deal:

We have more or less finalized the 2D floor plan:

IMG_1666_zps58d45e14.jpg

Due to budge constraint, we decided to retain the marble flooring on the first floor and do laminate flooring for the second floor. For laminate flooring, we have engaged the services from inovar floor.

Basically, these are the list of major things that we intended to do:

- a 7ft half height shoe cabinet beside the door entrance

- Hack away the existing kitchen wall and extend it to about 4 inches longer.

- A collapsable folding door entrance to the kitchen. Initially, we wanted a glass slide/swing door as wifey was against the idea of open concept kitchen for the fear of greasiness to the house when she cooks. Then, we decided on collapsable folding door entrance so that we can have the privilegde of having an open/close kitchen. Best of both world :D

- A 4ft island counter with rollers in the kitchen.

- Glass block divder to create divder for washing and kitchen area. At the same time, the glass block serves to bring in some light into the kitchen :good:

- Storage area underneath the staircase

- Brick wall feature at the TV console area (a must have for scandinavian theme!)

- 4" Platform at the back of the living room & a low storage c/w special hinges as work table which is directly behind the sofa.

- Convert bedroom 2 & 3 to the new MBR becox we find the existing MBR ted small

- Integrated WIW & study area

Wow! Super big master bedroom! :dribble:

Do share more photos, ok? Thanx :yamseng: