Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
June

Bachelorette Pad

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The touched up stool looks awesome! How many more stools do you have to do up?

I have three in total! Going to try decoupage next. These stools are foldable and I can put them in my storeroom.

very nicely done June! did you use varnish over the wood? i'm having a hard time deciding which varnish to use to get the color tone i want.

Yup, I used varnish. When it comes to colour, it's pretty much trial and error. I used a combination of colours - walnut and antique dark stain from Homefix, light antique stain from ikea, normal black and brown colour markers etc. Basically I just used whatever I find at home and just keep playing and experimenting with the colours. It's very japalang and the painting is quite patchy..I'm sure the real DIY experts will frown. But I don't care..it's my version of DIY. Haha

one word....GORGEOUS!!

your hard work paid off :)

Thanks! I did this bit by bit...painted in front of tv, before and after work..in between housework, emails and cooking..etc

There is something I bought on impulse way before my Reno started. Its for the hallway and comes with a light, a shelf for keeping keys and other knick knacks and a bar below for hanging umbrellas. It was selling at 70% per cent off at Lush Lush and I bought it even though I wasnt sure if it would match my decor. and as it turned out, it really didn't quite match my decor, though the colour was okay.

9662435806_b120ceeac8_n.jpg

photo.JPG by BachelorettePad, on Flickr

The lamp shade is made of leather and velvet..

9662437090_c55bf6ef7d_n.jpg

photo.JPG by

BachelorettePad, on Flickr

It has been languishing in one corner of my study and is really at risk of being given away.. Then this morning, while packing my cupboard, I found some old posters that I had long forgotten. Suddenly an idea came to mind and this is the result...

9662444630_ee633d3cb4_n.jpg

9659214659_6e568793ec_n.jpg

9662447150_2a7e17922a_n.jpg

I think this looks better with my decor....

ID and I went down to the wood supplier cum furniture maker to check out the piece of wood which they found for me. The workshop is very small but is filled with all kinds of raw wood and furniture waiting to be refurbished.photo_zpsc663b512.jpg

It's a very tall piece of wood that almost reaches the ceiling of the workshop. it's the one at the back that is second from the right (the

one with the light shade on the side and dark shade in the middle). It was salvaged from a bar counter at a hotel and has retained

most of the rawness of the wood. The part that is of a lighter shade is actually the tree bark. The wood is really thick if seen from the

side. It will have to be cut down to size and stained to my desired colour.

here's the owner of the shop talking to my ID about the wood... it's what I called 'men's talk'.. Or rather...'wood talk' :)photo_zps12888a92.jpg

here's the uncle jotting down the specifications of my table.photo_zpsb8724c4f.jpg

I was so fascinated with the shop that I forgot to take pix of it. the workshop was filled with vintage furniture sent by big-name shops for refurbishment. The uncle and his wife were very passionate about their wood and their job. The wife told me they charge about $150 to clean and varnish a bedside table which will be sold at a high profit margin by the shops. So this elderly and affable couple are the hands behind some of those nice vintage furniture I saw in the shops!

Anyway, after deciding on my wood, I visited another industrial estate to buy my cast iron table legs and arrange for them to deliver to the workshop. It was truly a tiring but educational experience and now I'm looking forward to a new dining table that is unique to me! :) :)

Hi, can I get the name, address and contact of this place?

Hi, thanks for all your kind words! You can try your hand at DIY too. For your info, I failed my o level art.. :)... But if I can do it now, so can you... :)