Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
June

Bachelorette Pad

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Yep, you are amazing. :good: I don't think I could ever bring myself to diy something.

You can start with a small project with your daughter...bonding time. :)

Just when I thought I could relax and enjoy my new pad, a problem cropped up - water seepage! Mine is a 28 year old flat and it seems like water seepage is quite common. What's more tricky is finding the cause of the problem.

the affected wall is in my MBR just underneath the window.

9716812252_a885117700_n.jpg

photo.JPG by BachelorettePad, on Flickr

I have no idea why the water stains are orange in colour. even though I like to dabble with paint in my free time, I really do not fancy having orange stain on my walls!

So I called Toa Payoh Town Council this afternoon and requested for someone to come check the problem. Now I must commend TP Town Council . I called them at 2pm and they sent someone down at 3.30pm!! I was so surprised that I actually asked "so fast? Arent you guys supposed to take your own sweet time to come?".. Haha!

Anyway, the town council staff said there were no visible holes or cracks in the wall and the cause of the seepage could be either because the aircon was not properly patched on the outside or there could be tiny cracks in the window ledge (which we can't see). He said I would have to do trial and error to ascertain what's the problem. The first thing to do is to call Gain City to get them to patch the aircon and then monitor the situation. If that doesn't work, then change the window but there is no guarantee that this will work. I think changing the window is too expensive an option, especially since my windows still look so new. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's the aircon's problem..

Hope this is settled soon.. I'm really no good with these things..give me headache :(

Edited by June

Hi, can you kindly provide me the address and contact of the wood and metal table stand supplier? Really enjoyed reading your T-blog.

Thank you in advance!

Hi, can you kindly provide me the address and contact of the wood and metal table stand supplier? Really enjoyed reading your T-blog.

Thank you in advance!

Hi, pmed u.

Just when I thought I could relax and enjoy my new pad, a problem cropped up - water seepage! Mine is a 28 year old flat and it seems like water seepage is quite common. What's more tricky is finding the cause of the problem.

the affected wall is in my MBR just underneath the window.

9716812252_a885117700_n.jpg

I have no idea why the water stains are orange in colour. even though I like to dabble with paint in my free time, I really do not fancy having orange stain on my walls!

So I called Toa Payoh Town Council this afternoon and requested for someone to come check the problem. Now I must commend TP Town Council . I called them at 2pm and they sent someone down at 3.30pm!! I was so surprised that I actually asked "so fast? Arent you guys supposed to take your own sweet time to come?".. Haha!

Anyway, the town council staff said there were no visible holes or cracks in the wall and the cause of the seepage could be either because the aircon was not properly patched on the outside or there could be tiny cracks in the window ledge (which we can't see). He said I would have to do trial and error to ascertain what's the problem. The first thing to do is to call Gain City to get them to patch the aircon and then monitor the situation. If that doesn't work, then change the window but there is no guarantee that this will work. I think changing the window is too expensive an option, especially since my windows still look so new. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's the aircon's problem..

Hope this is settled soon.. I'm really no good with these things..give me headache :(

Oh dear, you're right - changing the window really is an expensive option.

Hopefully the problem will cease with Gain City's patching of the aircon

But i have to say that your reaction when the Town Council staff arrived was funny! :)

Hello zihui, I hope it's the air con problem too. That will be easier to resolve I think. I managed to secure an appointment with gain city tomorrow morning. That's quite fast but I really had to breathe down their neck. Their customer service is quite lousy and they always say they will call you back but never do so. And they always tell me they charge 50$ for servicing charging. but they waived it after I said I won't pay the service charge if the problem was due to slipshod work by their workers. Hopefully the aircon installer has a solution for me tomorrow.

Hi June, in addition to gain city taking a look, have you considered getting another ac guy to take a look?

I have this feeling that the same co who installed the product will not admit liability that easily since the cost will be borne by them.

See lancified's t-blog about leaks that are caused by aircons - "definitely caused by bobo installer"

Hi June, in addition to gain city taking a look, have you considered getting another ac guy to take a look?

I have this feeling that the same co who installed the product will not admit liability that easily since the cost will be borne by them.

See lancified's t-blog about leaks that are caused by aircons - "definitely caused by bobo installer"

Hello Greg, the town council guy told me to get the aircon installer to apply silicon in some areas. He made it sound like it's an easy job. So I shall see what the air con guy said tomorrow. Apart from the aircon, I also suspect the tiny gap in the window ledge could be the culprit. The town council guy told me it's possible for rain water to seep through there. He said I will have to find a window vendor with very good workmanship to change the windows. But still there is no guarantee that problem will he solved bcos the windows may not be the culprit. Sigh.... I really do not wish to change my windows. I'm wondering if I could use putty to seal up the gap in the ledge.

In the past few months, I've been looking for the right curtain/blinds for my balcony and living room. I've tried all kinds of curtains - long, short, sheer, blackout. I have also seen many samples of roller blinds and wooden blinds, but they aren't really what I'm looking for. Ive even tried to sew the curtains myself and did a few mock up but they didn't turn out as nice as i had imagined. Basically I need smth that gives me some privacy from the carpark opposite and not block the lush greenery outside (which is one of the selling points of this unit).

9724129960_06a224a6a9.jpg

On some days, I hear the sound of crickets and it's really very calming. I see birds on the branches too, though sometimes I'm a bit worried they will fly into my unit.

the greenery stretches from the balcony window to the living room window

9723541426_04757f30ae.jpg

The challenge is how to accentuate this greenery and gives the place a relax, soothing feel. I'm not keen on roller blinds bcos of the roller tubes at the bottom and the mechanism at the top. wooden blinds are hard to maintain and way too expensive.

Then yesterday, I suddenly thought of black bamboo blinds and arranged for a no obligation quote today. The guy came with the samples but I forgot to take pix. Here is a pix taken from Internet:

9720853249_16772f5b58.jpg

I think there are both pros and cons to bamboo blinds. It's very easy to clean and you can even splash water on it. I also find it rustic looking, which is great against my greenery. But if you are using colored bamboo blinds, the paint will peel off eventually depending on how you handle the blinds. And becos bamboo is not smooth but has tiny bumps on it, you won't get black blinds with a smooth surface. The paint will look like it has blotches on it.

How? Any suggestions?

In the past few months, I've been looking for the right curtain/blinds for my balcony and living room. I've tried all kinds of curtains - long, short, sheer, blackout. I have also seen many samples of roller blinds and wooden blinds, but they aren't really what I'm looking for. Ive even tried to sew the curtains myself and did a few mock up but they didn't turn out as nice as i had imagined. Basically I need smth that gives me some privacy from the carpark opposite and not block the lush greenery outside (which is one of the selling points of this unit).

9724129960_06a224a6a9.jpg

On some days, I hear the sound of crickets and it's really very calming. I see birds on the branches too, though sometimes I'm a bit worried they will fly into my unit.

the greenery stretches from the balcony window to the living room window

9723541426_04757f30ae.jpg

The challenge is how to accentuate this greenery and gives the place a relax, soothing feel. I'm not keen on roller blinds bcos of the roller tubes at the bottom and the mechanism at the top. wooden blinds are hard to maintain and way too expensive.

Then yesterday, I suddenly thought of black bamboo blinds and arranged for a no obligation quote today. The guy came with the samples but I forgot to take pix. Here is a pix taken from Internet:

9720853249_16772f5b58.jpg

I think there are both pros and cons to bamboo blinds. It's very easy to clean and you can even splash water on it. I also find it rustic looking, which is great against my greenery. But if you are using colored bamboo blinds, the paint will peel off eventually depending on how you handle the blinds. And becos bamboo is not smooth but has tiny bumps on it, you won't get black blinds with a smooth surface. The paint will look like it has blotches on it.

How? Any suggestions?

June, still think timber blinds will give it a nicer effect, if its just slightly sunny, you can tilt the blinds. I have done some sourcing for timber blinds. I initial quote freaked me out... Just timber blinds for study and dining, day and night curtains for two rooms $3,400. Main bulk was for the timber blinds. In the end I got a quote that less then half for the same stuff done. Drop me a pm if u want the contact

Hi Vanessa, I think timber blinds are nice too but I'm concerned it might be a waste of money to do timber blinds as I want to keep my blinds rolled up to half of the height of the windows. That is, I want to block the top half of my windows with the blinds and leave the bottom half unblocked. Since it's going to be rolled up all the time, I'm thinking maybe I can settle for the cheaper bamboo alternative :)