Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Dear all,

I will be getting my keys somewhere in June 2013. Already looking around for suitable id / contractor. Just wondering if 40k budget is enough for a full reno for a resale 5 room with area of 110sqm. Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Already got floor plan. And visited almost 10 IDs already. N none return with quote within 40k. On average what I received is closed to 50k++.

perhaps underbudgeting and expecting too much renovation works to be done?

things like console, feature wall may not be necessary.

sometimes not id/contractor fault but expectation and budget has to align also.

Already got floor plan. And visited almost 10 IDs already. N none return with quote within 40k. On average what I received is closed to 50k++.

hi cyril1986,

may i know what does your full reno cover?

i'm asking becos i am preparing for mine as well - it's around the same area size as yours and I'm looking at full reno.

my full reno includes changing the flooring for the whole house, redo 2 toilets, 3 wardrobes and kitchen cabinets....and also looking at 40k+ budget...dont know if it's similar to what you are planning...

anyone can advise if it's possible at 40k+?

I will be:

1. replacing all tiles including balcony

2. replacing all windows without grilles including balcony

3. replacing all doors

4. kitchen cabinet

5. redo both toilets(shower kerb with fixed panel, vanity closet)

6. L-box for all rooms

7. L-box with cove light for living

8. feature wall with console

9. feature wall to cover bomb shelter door

10. study area divider

11. study table with top hung cabinet

12. full height shoe cabinet

13. walk in wardrobe for master

14. redo balcony(open concept with platform)

the above are the items i asked for quotes and all return above my budget, and worst thing is no electrical work included.if include toilet accessories, kitchen sink and tap, lightings and electrical works the amount will come up to around est. $60K+. me and my wife start to feel that we under budget ourselves. but we really hope that we do not need to spend so much. abit dejected in this renovation process already.

I will be:

3. replacing all doors

4. kitchen cabinet

6. L-box for all rooms

10. study area divider

the above are the items i asked for quotes and all return above my budget, and worst thing is no electrical work included.if include toilet accessories, kitchen sink and tap, lightings and electrical works the amount will come up to around est. $60K+. me and my wife start to feel that we under budget ourselves. but we really hope that we do not need to spend so much. abit dejected in this renovation process already.

Oh....all these were quoted 50K+?!

I will be doing 1-7 on your list...plus a shelf for TV in the living room...still considering whether to make a study table or buy one...but my budget is around 40K..

Edited by monk8

My brief scope of work:

1. Hacking existing floor tiles ****,dining and kitchen, 2 bathrooms and relay new tiles

2. Overlay laminate flooring at 4 bedrooms and study area

3. Rewiring entire house with Legrand switches

4. Plastering whole house

5. False ceiling

6. Carpentry works at wet/dry kitchen, tv console, shoe cabinet, study room, master bedroom and a guest room

7. Replacement of windows

and etc etc etc...

all in around 55k... mine is a EA , about 146 sq.m.

I got my house floors done with laminate wood flooring. Price far far cheaper than hacking and re-tiling. Except for kitchen & toilets which definitely can't use wood flooring. Just my 2 cents worth... Up to individual preferences.

Can you list which ID you go to? Not sure what items you required for your renovation. For comparison my friend just got a quote from 1 stop contractor with own workers and factory for 5 room improved corner unit HDB for $38K +

Works include -

1) whole house hacking - floor walls tiles

2) homo tiles $3 PSF for living, dining, 3 bedrooms, kitchen, 2 toilets, balcony floor

3) ceramic tiles for toilets walls and kitchen walls $3

4) 2 shower screens swing doors

5) glass door for kitchen entrance

6) electrical works

7) plumbing works

8) 37 ft kitchen and solid surface top

9) vanity mirror top and bottom cabinets for two toilets with solid surface tops.

10) 9 ft sliding wardrobe

11) painting whole house

12) cleaning and floor protection

13) FOC hood, hob, kitchen sink and tap, 2 basins, 2 basin taps, 2 WC, storage heater.

14) HDB permit and 3 D drawings

Hi tanslee, please PM me your contractor's contact :)

Any pix to show for your place?

Thanks in advance...

I will be:

3. replacing all doors

4. kitchen cabinet

6. L-box for all rooms

10. study area divider

Hi Cyril1986,

an share which IDs have you been to and got the 50k+ quotation?

I have submitted to a few as well and the first quotation I have received is already 50k+!? and i dont even have any featured walls?! :jawdrop:

start to wonder if 40k+ is not enough and 50k is the minumum....

I will be:

3. replacing all doors

4. kitchen cabinet

6. L-box for all rooms

10. study area divider

Within 40K is rather hard, maybe within another 8K to 10K more.

Should be able to fit in what you listed above...

Already pm you on the multi trades direct contractor, k who did the 38k Reno works. I think they can do it at that price with full 3d designs is because they did most works using their own workers covering hacking, tiling, electrical, plumbing, ceiling partition, carpentry, timber decking / parquet flooring, marble polishing. Also they do the complete job fast since no need to wait for one sub-contractor to come in one after another. Arranging for these contractors take forever and it can be very frustrating waiting for them as a house owner. I had my days coordinating some of these rubbertime contractors. So for those house owners who are on a tight time-frame, you want them to be your renovator, but they can only take so many jobs a month.

hi tanslee,

please PM me as well.

I have trying PM/ email a couple of contractors but none of them response... :(

I think you need some patience as this is busy time of the year for contractors who might be busy to do the quotations.

i see...

may i know how's the contractor K's workmanship in term of carpentry, painting etc?

I think you need some patience as this is busy time of the year for contractors who might be busy to do the quotations.

near to CNY is like that... all contractors busy to finish work and rest. this is the only time in the whole year they rest