Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
juxstapose

Journey To Our Home =)

Finally got hold of a working lappy to upload overdue pics!

Living Room: Homogeneous tile & Wood laminates. Master Bedroom: Wood Tiles & white/grey textured laminates.

livingnrmtilenlam.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kitchen Tiles & Laminates: White subway tile for walls, greige floor tiles, white with shiny specs solid top(the description of that design is called White Diamond ;p), wood laminate for bottom cabinets, glossy white laminates for top cabinets.

kitchentilesnlam.jpg

All the chosen laminates

lamj.jpg

Lighter brown wood tile for other 2 rooms, white with 1 blue wall for comon toilet, bottom kitchen tiles.

kitchencommontoiletnnor.jpg
Edited by juxstapose

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Most probably, we did some comparison for toilet basins & their's seem quite cheap too.. plus now they have that promo package.. did henry tell u about it?

Deciding on what type of aircon giving me headache now... plus i realised we're quite behind on wedding stuffs too.. haven chooose photog & duno if church will let me wear sleeveless gowns! :angry2:

Hmmm.. Toilet basin means vanity set right? I'm hunting for vanity sets for my bathrooms, so if Royal Franco is having promotion, I might wish to drop by and take a look. Ha! :lol:

As for the air-con, I'm not sure what you fancy but I want to recommend the one I bought, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries System-3 Inverter. I was at Gain City Marina Square for 2 hours listening to the store manager explain to me about all the available brands before deciding on my purchases. MHI System-3 Inverter is the most energy-efficient unit around.

Perhaps you might want to make a trip to Marina Square Gain City? The store manager (an old uncle) is a friendly gentleman who don't mind standing there with you for 1 hour to explain in details about each brand, even down to where the air-con components are assembled. Haha!

Good luck! :good:

HI Bengologist,

Thank you for the info on the aircon. Did the store manager talk about the energy consumption and the life cycle cost as well as the tick rating system?

You should the check the energy efficiency website : http://app.e2singapore.gov.sg/Households/At_Home_10_Energy_Challenge/Tips_on_Buying_Appliances.aspx as they provide details and rank the aircons.

You can sort them by many factors.

Hmmm.. Toilet basin means vanity set right? I'm hunting for vanity sets for my bathrooms, so if Royal Franco is having promotion, I might wish to drop by and take a look. Ha! :lol:

As for the air-con, I'm not sure what you fancy but I want to recommend the one I bought, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries System-3 Inverter. I was at Gain City Marina Square for 2 hours listening to the store manager explain to me about all the available brands before deciding on my purchases. MHI System-3 Inverter is the most energy-efficient unit around.

Perhaps you might want to make a trip to Marina Square Gain City? The store manager (an old uncle) is a friendly gentleman who don't mind standing there with you for 1 hour to explain in details about each brand, even down to where the air-con components are assembled. Haha!

Good luck! :good:

Hi Juxtapose,

You should check out the website I posted earlier in your thread to understand about energy efficiency , Life Cycle cost etc...IF you are concerned about your electrical bill ;P

You can find out based on the brand and model of the aircon which aircon would be better. BUT this is purely for info on energy efficiency only and nothing else.

Hope this helps.

Most probably, we did some comparison for toilet basins & their's seem quite cheap too.. plus now they have that promo package.. did henry tell u about it?

Deciding on what type of aircon giving me headache now... plus i realised we're quite behind on wedding stuffs too.. haven chooose photog & duno if church will let me wear sleeveless gowns! :angry2:

HI Bengologist,

Thank you for the info on the aircon. Did the store manager talk about the energy consumption and the life cycle cost as well as the tick rating system?

You should the check the energy efficiency website : http://app.e2singapore.gov.sg/Households/At_Home_10_Energy_Challenge/Tips_on_Buying_Appliances.aspx as they provide details and rank the aircons.

You can sort them by many factors.

Hey jaykr!

Yeah! The store manager told me about the ticks and how the cost reflected on the air-con are derives. Basically, the figures on each air-con represent the annual cost it will incur based on continuous usage daily over a duration of 8 hours for all 3 units. Mine was $785 per annual. He also highlighted that the parts inside my MHI units are made and assembled in Thailand, whereas the Samsung inverter (which I had initially wanted to buy) was made and assembled in China. No offence to those who had purchased the Samsung inverter but according to the store manager, the parts are not exactly good and that it might not be that lasting as compared to air-con big names like Mitsubishi, Daikin etc. He also mention that the new LG inverter model is fully assembled in South Korea and the design & efficiency is quite good (but I eventually choose MHI inverter because they are the most cost-efficient unit according to the GC store manager).

Anyway you guys please find out more about opening your wallet. What I had mentioned above might be wrongly interpreted by yours truly. Hahaha! :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Bengologist,

I chose Mitsubishi Electric Starmax Inverter model because based on the LCC cost this seems to be the most efficient.;p

Hey jaykr!

Yeah! The store manager told me about the ticks and how the cost reflected on the air-con are derives. Basically, the figures on each air-con represent the annual cost it will incur based on continuous usage daily over a duration of 8 hours for all 3 units. Mine was $785 per annual. He also highlighted that the parts inside my MHI units are made and assembled in Thailand, whereas the Samsung inverter (which I had initially wanted to buy) was made and assembled in China. No offence to those who had purchased the Samsung inverter but according to the store manager, the parts are not exactly good and that it might not be that lasting as compared to air-con big names like Mitsubishi, Daikin etc. He also mention that the new LG inverter model is fully assembled in South Korea and the design & efficiency is quite good (but I eventually choose MHI inverter because they are the most cost-efficient unit according to the GC store manager).

Anyway you guys please find out more about opening your wallet. What I had mentioned above might be wrongly interpreted by yours truly. Hahaha! :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Bengologist,

I chose Mitsubishi Electric Starmax Inverter model because based on the LCC cost this seems to be the most efficient.;p

Yeah! You might be right! I just did a check on the energy efficiency website link which you had posted earlier. Hahaha...

Anyway mine wasn't far from yours in terms of energy-saving, so I'm pretty contended too. Haha!

I'm just hoping that ours can last at least 10 years without any major repair. :jammin:

Do you entertain a lot? Eg friends, cell group or family members popping by regularly? If yes, maybe makes sense to have aircon in the living room?

Hi Juxstapose,

If it helps, I didn't install aircon in my living room.

The main reason is because the living room size is big and if you want to contain the coolness , then we would need to install or sliding door or something to prevent the cool air from escaping to the dining area and other parts connected to the living room. In essence, we feel the aircon will have to non stop keep on running .

Another reason is more from a cost perspective. The cost of running the aircon in the living room would not be efficient and would certainly run up the bills pretty high even though we are using the most cost efficient aircon.

However, if cost is not an issue or you won't be using it much then it is not a problem. ( However, when the aircon is installed, the tendency to use it is high since it is already there...)

Hope this helps . =)

Edited by jaykr

Hi juxtapose

Don't know if it helps but I'm saying from personal experience. I'm one who's terrified of the heat whereas hubby is ok without ac.

Before we did our Reno we had an ac for the living/ dining. Needless to say, it broke down within awhile( could be cos we inherited from previous owner or cos the old ac was insufficient for the house).

I would love to ac my whole house now that we're doing our second Reno. But unfortunately, we are unable to do so cos our flat does not have an ac ledge ( and also cos costs constraints).

As we have enough of watching tv without ac (perspiring like mad and waking up from watxhing tv cos it is so hot), we've decided to ac our living this time round. What've done is actually box up my living ( like what jaykr suggested).

In any case, we do not like entertaining people so i guess it is more to accomodate our lifestyle.

I would suggest u get an ac installed for your living if you can cos you never know when u need to switch it on(ESP when the weather is so hot these days). I would rather get it all done now during my Reno rather than later.

Very sorry for the long wordy post!!

We're torn between aircon in the living ares or not :(

Due to budget constrains, I didn't manage to get aircon in the living for our first home and regretted...

Like you I was pondering on "aircon or no aircon" for our 2nd home... in the end, decided to go for it... :notti:

Though the aircon may not be able to cool the entire living area but at least there will be some cool air circulating... no need to watch TV in "suana" ah :lol: and when friends pop by for gathering... also no need "suana" de...

Just my personal opinion :rolleyes:

Edited by dreamzgal

We're torn between aircon in the living ares or not :(

Hi juxstapose,

Just like what jaykr has mentioned, the installation of air-con in the living/dining area will require the installation of a sliding door in the kitchen, which will be an additional cost to your renovation.

I also wanted to install one in my living hall initially because I felt that it will be good to have cool air circulating while we enjoy the TV or play mahjong with friends and also that I'm a polar bear stuck in a human body (translate: I'm terribly scared of heat). However, I dropped the idea after considering the cost addition for the sliding door and that I prefer to have the living hall windows open all the time for fresh air. Anyway I switch to a 56" ceiling fan in the living hall so that there will be some cool air circulating too. You can consider a ceiling fan too. :good:

I agree with Bengologist that a fan would work great. I am also installing a ceiling fan in my living room . Choose a really good ceiling fan that can cool down the living room. For my Dining area my thinking was to use wall fan and am still thinking about it.

If the house is really super duper hot you can try to add a stand fan for that particular period of time, unless it is super hot all year long.

It all depends on your lifestyle on what your needs are and priorities area. Balance between cost vs needs vs wants.

Hope you make a good decision that fits your needs. =)

Hi juxstapose,

Just like what jaykr has mentioned, the installation of air-con in the living/dining area will require the installation of a sliding door in the kitchen, which will be an additional cost to your renovation.

I also wanted to install one in my living hall initially because I felt that it will be good to have cool air circulating while we enjoy the TV or play mahjong with friends and also that I'm a polar bear stuck in a human body (translate: I'm terribly scared of heat). However, I dropped the idea after considering the cost addition for the sliding door and that I prefer to have the living hall windows open all the time for fresh air. Anyway I switch to a 56" ceiling fan in the living hall so that there will be some cool air circulating too. You can consider a ceiling fan too. :good: