Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OceanEleven

Back To The West

When you step on the flooring at that particular remade, does it have those hollow noise/feel or same as other part of the house ?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Have yet to receive them, keeping my fingers cross.

Painting and and posters might have a slight difference.

cross fingers too!!!

Vinyl Flooring

A little experience I wanna share. If you are installing vinyl and laminate flooring, you may want to consider to do a clean up before installation.

Think about it, all the hacking, patching, painting etc bound to have a little debris, nitty little pieces here and there.

These little pieces will affect the overall finish of the flooring. If the small pieces are not removed, it may not show immediately.

This is because vinyl and laminate has a layer of rubber or foam as the under layer.

It is over time and adding on of weight on the flooring then the little lump will be more obvious.

By this time, you may have move in 3-6 months already.

Such issue can be rectify easily but the process is tedious and may face restrictions.

With vinyl, you will have to remove from the edge of the wall that is nearest to the defect area.

Despite being clip on system, vinyl are not exactly built and meant for remove/refit again.

During removing, the edges may flare or buff and result in more defects.

Also sometimes the nearest wall has a carpentry sitting on it and restrict access.

Prior to installation, no doubt the flooring guys will clean up these are restricted to only sweeping.

And it is done area by area ie. they clean the area they are installing and so on.

What I had done requires a little more effort and time. I cleaned up the whole house to the best I could.

First by sweeping then by vacuuming and finally mopping. It is a tedious and tiring process but it yields good result.

Please use a vacuum that is not using a dust bag. Easier to dispose but be prepare for rough usage.

Of course not every one have the time or the effort to do it this way but on one hand it facilitates the flooring guys to do a quicker and better job, on the other they know you meant business and will try harder to do a better job.

Anyway, I was there for the whole installation process which took about 3 x 1 day session due to timing and the leveling of the balcony area.

A point to note, please stop them from working late when there are no lighting in the unit for no one can see if each vinyl/laminate are in good condition.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing! I think its really sound advice...crucial step that most people will miss...

I am pretty particular about the result hence need to put in more effort. Seriously, most will not find the time or maybe the effort to do it my way.

To a certain extend, I think my presence there is pretty intimidating for the flooring guys. Their went about their work while I hang around doing my cleaning.

Anyway despite all these efforts, a small lump managed escape the cleaning and the end result is a slight bulge on the vinyl, magnified under lighting.

The timely discovery was rectified by removing a few pieces of vinyl to reach the lump. Defect area was laid when daylight is ebbing.

Vinyl sounds good... Seems its not popular though.

Vinyl is actually gaining popularity. It is actually the same as Evorich's HERF. Just marketed under a different name.

HERF is High End Resistance Flooring, it sure sounds more sophisticated than vinyl.

Some vinyl are glue on and some using clip. The clip type, we have sellers naming it interlock system.

So it is just a marketing ploy to entice consumers. I wont be surprise if the vinyl increase thickness by 1 mm and viola, we have SHERF, S= Super.

I had shared some experience in my earlier post if you wanna know a little more.

Yeah, I have been reading your posts from page 1. And you really did well with vinyl, this is a good consideration for our future Reno few years down the road...

Selling the following Samsung Digital Lock at cost. Brand new in box, unopened.

Samsung Ezon SHS-1321 digital door / lock / doorlock / ( SHS-1320 ) 2 RFID cards and 2 RFID sticker cards.

Comes with additional 2 RFID Card hence the higher cost (Total 4)

Price at cost : SGD142.50 (Receipt for proof available)

Reason for selling, decided to go for another model.

Keen party please PM me. Thank you.

SHS1321_Digtial_Door_Lock.jpg

Edited by OceanEleven

Vinyl Flooring

A little experience I wanna share. If you are installing vinyl and laminate flooring, you may want to consider to do a clean up before installation.

Think about it, all the hacking, patching, painting etc bound to have a little debris, nitty little pieces here and there.

These little pieces will affect the overall finish of the flooring. If the small pieces are not removed, it may not show immediately.

This is because vinyl and laminate has a layer of rubber or foam as the under layer.

It is over time and adding on of weight on the flooring then the little lump will be more obvious.

By this time, you may have move in 3-6 months already.

Such issue can be rectify easily but the process is tedious and may face restrictions.

With vinyl, you will have to remove from the edge of the wall that is nearest to the defect area.

Despite being clip on system, vinyl are not exactly built and meant for remove/refit again.

During removing, the edges may flare or buff and result in more defects.

Also sometimes the nearest wall has a carpentry sitting on it and restrict access.

Prior to installation, no doubt the flooring guys will clean up these are restricted to only sweeping.

And it is done area by area ie. they clean the area they are installing and so on.

What I had done requires a little more effort and time. I cleaned up the whole house to the best I could.

First by sweeping then by vacuuming and finally mopping. It is a tedious and tiring process but it yields good result.

Please use a vacuum that is not using a dust bag. Easier to dispose but be prepare for rough usage.

Of course not every one have the time or the effort to do it this way but on one hand it facilitates the flooring guys to do a quicker and better job, on the other they know you meant business and will try harder to do a better job.

Anyway, I was there for the whole installation process which took about 3 x 1 day session due to timing and the leveling of the balcony area.

A point to note, please stop them from working late when there are no lighting in the unit for no one can see if each vinyl/laminate are in good condition.

That was what we did the very night before our vinyl flooring was to be laid. We swept and briefly mopped the cement screed till the original shimmer returned, all in the middle of the night.

That was what we did the very night before our vinyl flooring was to be laid. We swept and briefly mopped the cement screed till the original shimmer returned, all in the middle of the night.

At least you have company, I did it all by myself. A good workout though.

The end result is wonderful, offers a great deal of satisfaction. :thumbs up:

You finished in one night?? Wow...

Think I will need to do the same as you (Sweep & Clean) before laying of the Vinyl...

You finished in one night?? Wow...

It was one day's effort. Sweep, vacuum and mop. Good work out.

Think I will need to do the same as you (Sweep & Clean) before laying of the Vinyl...

Plan your schedule. If you have a vacuum, it would be easier to clean up small crumps, in grooves and corners.

Also using the sponge mop is easier to clean compare the the cotton mop. Things tend to get stuck onto cotton mop.

O11 suggestion is a good one. bring along a vacuum cleaner. you will not regret it.

It was one day's effort. Sweep, vacuum and mop. Good work out.

Plan your schedule. If you have a vacuum, it would be easier to clean up small crumps, in grooves and corners.

Also using the sponge mop is easier to clean compare the the cotton mop. Things tend to get stuck onto cotton mop.

Sponge mop? hmm, thanks for the great tip again!

Always great to hear from the veteran...was trying a new cotton mop today and the cotton bits actually get left on the floor.