Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
VincentWangZx

Budget Home In Punggol Emerald: Retro Modern Fusion

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Kusudama,

The price you see at ikea comes without installation fees. Add in the installation fees and what you will get is quite similar to what an ID quotes. We found both quotes comparable (ID is slightly cheaper), so we decided to go ahead to let one person handle everything else as well.

So I was busy over the weekend painting up the ceiling cos the ID wanted to install the track lighting on Tuesday. I must say I'm quite happy with the results, considering we are not professionals (although we've painted a few houses before this). The process is tiring (especially the ceiling, which is literally a pain in the neck), but it is very meaningful and good for the couple to be painting their own house. We have also managed to buy our sinks (kitchen and MBR), the gas cooking hob and MBR tap. We are still on the lookout for our kitchen tap cos we're looking at something more antique looking. The hunt continues!

IMG_0286.JPG

Our feature ceiling! It wasn't easy to measure and ensure it was straight and parallel, so we are proud of our own work. =)

IMG_0280.JPG

We painted the ceiling "Smoky Pearl" in prep for the tracklights theme. More pics to come in the near future! =)

• Like 1

With regards to the name of the track lights shop, it's one of those wholesalers called New Marine Electrical & Co. Ltd. It's at Tyrhwhitt Rd, next to the Blanc Inn.

Hi,

I bought the fan from modernfanoutlet.com. It's a US based site but they ship internationally at a flat fee of $10. This cost me a grand total of $309 for the fan (I'm not sure if it's in USD or SGD). The tracklights I will be getting this Fri at Horne Road. As for the name of the shop, I must find out this Friday and let you know again. The track costs $14 per meter, and their lights are 30 dollars a piece for 4 watts (add 15 dollars if you want it at 12watts).

So it's been a week of prep for the renovation proper which starts next Monday. We have already painted the ceiling in preparation of the installation of lights, and our ID has already done some minor works (which I will see when I visit the site on Monday). Some heartaches and hilarity to share with everyone during this process. The fan which I ordered from modernfanoutlet.com had to be cancelled and I had to ask for a refund. :unsure: This was due to a misunderstanding of the shipping fees, which I had assumed to be a flat fee of $10, which is a naivete on my part. It turned out to be $161.59, which would make the cost go beyond my budget. It was a harrowing experience to get a refund from them, as I only had his word over the phone that he would do it in 2 seconds, but it would show up in my account 1-3 business days later. In any case, I had contacted the owner of the company (hunting him down and finally finding a way to contact him over Google+), and asked him to ensure my refund was being processed. So lesson learned, make sure you get your facts right before committing to a purchase, especially over the Internet. There goes my sleek four blade fan. I found the reason why it was hard to find a four blade fan in Singapore, thanks to a candid explanation by a good natured auntie from Thong Sheng (where I eventually bought my fans from). She said Singaporeans 'pantang', don't like to have 4 (si) in their home. It's either 3 or 5 blades, not four. So we decided to go for the next best thing.

Skylite-WH-WD-468x245.jpg

We bought the Crestar Skylite Wooden Series instead! It doesn't look too bad actually, and we know its calibre as we are currently sleeping under one at the place we are renting at the moment.
:) And next for this hilarious incident that happened just cos we're noob that way. We were brought to Hafary at Tradehub 21 to select the tiles which we would use to overlay the current one in the MBR. After much deliberation and careful selection, we decided on one that we thought was most suitable to match our vanity cabinet. Happily, we left the place with a sample of the tile (which we thought was unnecessary since we had decided already). When we got home, I just decided to be 'itchy hand' and compared the tile with the standard issue by HDB, which was what was in my landlord's toilet. And the result was this:

IMG_0331.JPG

They were almost identical, save for some rocky detail on the selected tile! :bangwall: How we managed to fail so epically to see that was really beyond comprehension. We hurriedly called our ID and told him to change it to the black one instead. In other news, I managed to buy our toilet's mirror which was really a relief, because it would have cost a bomb to get it custom made by the carpenter. Happy like a bird!

IMG_3778.jpg

The top left most mirror was the one we selected. Whee~~ Have a happy day everyone! TGIF! =)

So it's been a week of prep for the renovation proper which starts next Monday. We have already painted the ceiling in preparation of the installation of lights, and our ID has already done some minor works (which I will see when I visit the site on Monday). Some heartaches and hilarity to share with everyone during this process. The fan which I ordered from modernfanoutlet.com had to be cancelled and I had to ask for a refund. :unsure: This was due to a misunderstanding of the shipping fees, which I had assumed to be a flat fee of $10, which is a naivete on my part. It turned out to be $161.59, which would make the cost go beyond my budget. It was a harrowing experience to get a refund from them, as I only had his word over the phone that he would do it in 2 seconds, but it would show up in my account 1-3 business days later. In any case, I had contacted the owner of the company (hunting him down and finally finding a way to contact him over Google+), and asked him to ensure my refund was being processed. So lesson learned, make sure you get your facts right before committing to a purchase, especially over the Internet. There goes my sleek four blade fan. I found the reason why it was hard to find a four blade fan in Singapore, thanks to a candid explanation by a good natured auntie from Thong Sheng (where I eventually bought my fans from). She said Singaporeans 'pantang', don't like to have 4 (si) in their home. It's either 3 or 5 blades, not four. So we decided to go for the next best thing.

Skylite-WH-WD-468x245.jpg

We bought the Crestar Skylite Wooden Series instead! It doesn't look too bad actually, and we know its calibre as we are currently sleeping under one at the place we are renting at the moment.

:) And next for this hilarious incident that happened just cos we're noob that way. We were brought to Hafary at Tradehub 21 to select the tiles which we would use to overlay the current one in the MBR. After much deliberation and careful selection, we decided on one that we thought was most suitable to match our vanity cabinet. Happily, we left the place with a sample of the tile (which we thought was unnecessary since we had decided already). When we got home, I just decided to be 'itchy hand' and compared the tile with the standard issue by HDB, which was what was in my landlord's toilet. And the result was this:

IMG_0331.JPG

They were almost identical, save for some rocky detail on the selected tile! :bangwall: How we managed to fail so epically to see that was really beyond comprehension. We hurriedly called our ID and told him to change it to the black one instead. In other news, I managed to buy our toilet's mirror which was really a relief, because it would have cost a bomb to get it custom made by the carpenter. Happy like a bird!

IMG_3778.jpg

The top left most mirror was the one we selected. Whee~~ Have a happy day everyone! TGIF! =)

Heehee we are getting the mirrors too. i think its 69 bucks right? molgar. intending to just build a solid surface top and put the bench below and the stool at the side exactly the same!

Yup it's 69. They seem to be phasing it out though. Might wanna get it soon before the color you're looking for runs out. The combi above is interesting. I'm wondering what the bench and stool can be used for in the bathroom?

It's IKEA's Molger mirror.

thanks for the lobang, but didn't get to see this mirror when we went to IKEA last week. Definitely more worth it then custom-made

Renovation proper has begun! This is how much was accomplished on the first day.

IMG_0380.JPG

The wall was hacked, and they will make good the wall the next day.

IMG_0409.JPG

The lights are almost done in the living room! The electrician will finish it up the next day too.

IMG_0404.JPG

The lighting and the ceiling fan in the master bedroom is up! =) I gotta say the efficiency of the electricians are really something. And their chemistry is good; each knows what they need to do to get the job done, without having to say much. More pics will come soon! =)

• Like 1