Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Lyamani

Finally Our Own Haven! 3 Room Bto...

I do agree about this, the layout is weird and intended wardrobe space will actually be blocking some panels of window :

either it wud be blocking e windows or really it's a dumb layout of HDB's

Initially I have the same plan as yours too, to build the wardrobe outside the toilet + platform bed, and leave the second bedroom for future use..like our kids (althou hav no plans now..but hard to say.....) but after viewing my MBR, seems hard to do cos the room is really small... shall see how it goes...

Anyway Thanks for your reply!! Appreciate it! :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi no probs my pleasure to share my experience.. Initially wen we opened up our house n saw it for e first time a lot of things seemed very small n cramped for us too but surprisingly as e carpentry n works started to materialise noticed tat it opened up n we had more space den we had initially judged..maybe we r jus too skeptical bout houses being so small nowadays,cramped n impossible etc tat we kinda overlook e actual space..maybe we jus gotta accept n plan our spaces n eventually we will create a nice home which we grow to love day by day.. 😍

• Like 2

Hi no probs my pleasure to share my experience.. Initially wen we opened up our house n saw it for e first time a lot of things seemed very small n cramped for us too but surprisingly as e carpentry n works started to materialise noticed tat it opened up n we had more space den we had initially judged..maybe we r jus too skeptical bout houses being so small nowadays,cramped n impossible etc tat we kinda overlook e actual space..maybe we jus gotta accept n plan our spaces n eventually we will create a nice home which we grow to love day by day..

So nice to hear this! It's true, most of us are complaining about the cramped space, but maybe a little creativity will do the trick!

So happy to see that your house is progressing well so far! Excited for you :)

Hi bykaraane, thanks a lot for being happy for us! Tats nice.. I'm really excited too! Lots of things to be coordinated n tied down too, our housewarming event is coming up n from major reno to nitty gritty furnishing,deco n accessories purchases gotta be taken care of,don't tell me bout e packing n moving!!😱can't wait for e tedious part to be over n to be able to sit back in our completed house n enjoy our fruit of labour haha!

• Like 1

Well guys, I have been pondering over something now... Tomoro is gonna be carpentry measurements day n I have requested to meetup wit e carpenter so as to run thru how we want our internal orientation to be for e carpentry etc.. So far wat was quoted by my ID was carpentry with white PVC internals only though I'm so in love with coloured polygon(laminated finish) look in carpentry works...

May I know if the type of laminate used to make coloured laminates for carpentry internals, is as durable (in terms of anti-scratch, anti-peeling) as the conventional white PVC? Kinda have the impression that the white PVC kind is tougher( but less attractive of course). Any feedback from your ID regarding this aspect?

May I know if the type of laminate used to make coloured laminates for carpentry internals, is as durable (in terms of anti-scratch, anti-peeling) as the conventional white PVC? Kinda have the impression that the white PVC kind is tougher( but less attractive of course). Any feedback from your ID regarding this aspect?

Hi Shibumi, honestly I don't really know bout e comparison on tat.. My ID seemed to advocate e use of white PVC as he felt e top up of bout $20-$30 extra pfr is not worth paying for something tats gonna be covered up by stuffs anyway n e externals is wat people get to see.. Ended up all my carpentry is made wit white PVC internals as much as I really wanted to have coloured internals, if I'm not wrong they call them polygons or something.. Tats all I can enlighten on maybe someone else cud help...!

Hi lyamami, I really live the carpentry work in your house. Especially the built in bunk bed. Having a built in bunk bed is such a good idea to save space yet it doesn't compromise on the strength of the bed. I'm really scared of those ready made bunk bed seems very unstable. Mind sharing how much you spend on your wardrobes and the built in bunk bed? Thank you!!

actually those internals are also PVC. except that those are decorative PVCs. so the properties are the same.

it depends on individuals. there are people using both plain white and decoratives. depends on what you like.

Hi asychanbaby... Thanks a lot for ur compliments! Yea we love our carpentry turnout too.. They have done a pretty good job on it... As for e bunk bed, we actually copied e idea of e HDB showroom's 3 room kids bedroom design tat we saw at HDB's showflat.. With some minor changes in design which was inevitable as they had to make sure practically it was solid n stable enough, our bunk bed materialized. E kids room had a wall beam which caused an indent at e side e bed wud come n to our surprise they had nicely extended tat portion to be a little ledge area tat cud act like a side table thingy for e top n middle portions.. Good job by my carpenter!

I was very insistent from e start tat I didn't want a bulky bunk bed which looked like buy off ones etc otherwise no point in spending so much n customizing it.. E bunk bed alone we were quoted $2.8k.. E study which runs across wall to wall tats 8ft was $1040.. Our 10ft wardrobe was $2.1k if I'm not wrong..e actual cost is not etched in my mind but thereabout...

We had initially toyed wit e ideas from hiddenbeds to buy off bunk beds to different layouts/ designs of built in bunk beds n finally settled on tis one..pretty happy wit e turnout which seems to give us lots of free space in e kids room now.. They lack a wardrobe in their room but not wardrobe space entirely as it's jus accessed from our room.. But den it's me who showers n changes them so I access all their clothes so no inconvenience at all too! Hope our layout helps give u some ideas too!

Yeah I really love how your wardrobe has turned it's not making the room look too small. Initially I also wanted my mbr to have that king of walk in wardrobe feel but due to budget issue have to scrap it off. Decided to use pole system instead. Envy all of you who got a bto. The renovation package is lesser so can spend more on carpentry :( for me hacking and changing the whole house tiles already cost a lot T.T

Built in bunk bed is better than hidden bed I feel because it gives the room a more complete look. Maybe just my preference. Built in bunk bed is kind of like the condo show flat nowadays :)

Hey hi thanks a lot for ur compliments! Yes it actually doesn't cramp up e space but jus tat e bed will be kinda back to back wit e wardrobe n we asked for a side table beside e bed cos practical wise we may need to place our handphones, table lamp,misc etc there right so thot we might as well get it done..

Hmm true bout resale's extra expense part.. Unless ur doing overlaying of laminates etc which is wat we have done too, hacking n retiling will cost an arm n a leg nowadays.. But of cos wen it comes to renovations, new or old, costs r bound to pile up no matter wat we budget.. Don't feel bad bout changing some of ur ideas cos of budget constraints, I'm sure u have created a beautiful home there as well... Sometimes it's not jus bout spending money but spending money on e right things n having it shine thru... Some people tend to spend a bomb on their reno but wen u look at e whole picture it may seem jus so simple n nothing extroadinarily appealing making u wonder wat did all tat money do for e house.. Whereas some may have spent a substantial amount but it cud be a major transformation to e house, wowing us. Let's all be proud of our unique individualistic fantastic homes.. To each their own... 😍

Hi bykaraane, thanks a lot for being happy for us! Tats nice.. I'm really excited too! Lots of things to be coordinated n tied down too, our housewarming event is coming up n from major reno to nitty gritty furnishing,deco n accessories purchases gotta be taken care of,don't tell me bout e packing n moving!!can't wait for e tedious part to be over n to be able to sit back in our completed house n enjoy our fruit of labour haha!

Haha I'm sure it'll be worth its while and so much more! :)

Hope you're having a better time now that things have gained momentum! :)

Hi Asychanbaby n bykaraane, thank u both for ur best wishes... We r at e end of e tunnel now... Reno is bout 99.9% completed wit one last job to settle which I hope can be done up tomoro.. We r doing the great move tomoro, fri afternoon.. Jus came to bed after e last bit of pack up.. Been a really tiring phase, running to n from our new place monitoring works n deliveries, cleaning up, packing up our stuffs here, finally all seems to be packed n ready to be shifted. Next big task is to unpack n setup e new place tomoro n sat as Sunday is our housewarming event.. So little time so much to do! Haha... But each day we r closer to The Day n are a step ahead with the tasks we are supposed to complete.. Can't wait to sit back n relax, being 8.5mths preggy doesn't give me loads of strength to do heavy manual jobs as well! Haha.. Will definitely take pics of our completed n setup place in e next few days so stay tuned! 😍

• Like 2