Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jez2014

Mission (Almost) Impossible - 25K 4Rm Bto Renovation

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Jez, just curious about your kitchen glass door. is this a glass door with add-on(or stick on) aluminum frame which I presume doesn't actually support the glass but more of a decorative piece?
hope i make sense there. Any chance you know where your contractor source that from?

thanks!!

Hi Jez, ur posts are so funny and yet so informative. Haha. Love them lots !! Could you kindly share with me the contacts details of J and E contractors? Thank you so much. Hope to hear fron you soon =)

Hi sellcsk,

Yes, from what I understand, its a glass door with a stick-on aluminum frame. I saw only part of the installation process, so I'm not certain how it actually works, but when I came in the morning the door was just a ordinary glass door (I even thought that the contractor got it wrong ha ha). By night time however, the aluminum frame had been pasted on.

The design is also flexible - to match our feature wall, we chose 5 x 1 (5 rows by 1 column), but we were told that practically any combination is possible.

Unfortunately, I don't have the contacts of the people who installed the door. My contractor got them for me. BUT from what I understand, this is quite a "standard" door, at a "standard" price. If I recall correctly, I was quoted somewhere in the region of $800 to $900 (before discounts).

Because its so run-of-the-mill, you may wish to check with your own contractor or ID - they will probably know where to get it from! Otherwise, I will try to ask my contractor for you - but I won't be meeting him for about a week. Hope you can wait! :)

Edited by jez2014

J did not reply to my sms so I contacted E. Drop him an email now waitin for E to be more free to give me a quote n hopefully bring me go see some of his work.

R u going to use your house as a showflat ??

Hi xiaohuiis!

No wonder you were asking a while ago, whether anyone managed to contact them!

I suspect J might not be literate, so SMS won't work haha. Probably should have called J directly. E however, will definitely respond quickly - even if its to tell you that he's busy. :)

We have no intention of using our house as a showflat because...

I think I've written about this before, but when viewing houses - DON'T ask to see showflats. Ask to see EXISTING projects. Showflats will be done up nicely, so all the carpentry will be neat etc. Existing projects (currently under renovation type) will give you a more realistic idea of how their work is like. Don't let the ID/contractor lull you into a false sense of security with showflats!

If you want to see existing projects, right now is not the most ideal time - many people aim to move in by CNY, so there's probably very few existing projects now, that are still ongoing (this should be true for any contractor/ID). But you can try your luck lah. Or if you can wait, it will be even better!

Good luck with choosing your contractor/ID! Happy CNY in advance! :)

Edited by jez2014

Hey Jez, thanks for the information!!

quite a interesting idea with the add on aluminum frame.

i'm in no hurry but if its not too much of a trouble for you, it'd be great to know.

gong xi fa cai!!

Hi jez,

Really entertaining to read through your blog, n its made even more enjoyable with your jokes! Very good idea with the swivel study table and fold down MBR table =)

Tried to PM you but of course, your mailbox is full haha.. Can I have your ID name and contact, and maybe the quotation you have?

Thanks!

Hi Jez,

Could you pm me your contractor contact? Totally love your carpentry with good workmanship!

Thanks in advance.

Edited by nolifesg

Hi desmoteoh,

If I recall correctly, it costs $900 for the whole house. I don't know if its considered cheap for a 4-room as, as we didn't go and compare window grille prices. Instead, we let our contractor use his own grille installation company - so we don't have the contacts... sorry :( I'll help you ask the next time I meet him, but it might really take awhile as we don't expect to see him until after CNY. Hope you can wait!

Happy CNY everyone! (mini story):

My non-chinese (ang moh) colleague ask me to teach him one important greeting/phrase for CNY. I thought about it awhile, and I said "huat arh!". He said "what"? Then I said, "yes, huat". Another "What"?... You can see how this went on for awhile.

When he finally got it, we had a laugh, then he asked me to teach him another. I thought about it, and said in Cantonese, "fatt"... guess what he heard LOL

Ok people! Year of the Goat doesn't mean have to eat grass. Cheers! :)