Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
clownprince

Colour Our Scandi Home =)

SCANDI - Sounds Crazy AND Impossible… BUT WE DID IT! (Part 3)

we are off to another painting adventure… this time UP, UP AND AWAY (into Bedroom 3)!

gallery_66870_650_12509.jpg

TADAA… !

gallery_66870_650_631398.png

of course, it's not perfect! but… i guess that's proof that its DIY haha!

now, we're on cloud nine! i hope i have made my hubby love me more now :D:D:D

Edited by clownprince

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wah super hard work but EXCELLENT result :good: :good: :good:

Ur cloud is using a stencil, diy or store-bought? Just curious, not going to attempt that.

• Like 1

Hey hey, can elaborate how to paint the side-by-side white & grey triangles at the bottom? Is it after painted the grey, tape and paint the white besides?

SCANDI - Sounds Crazy AND Impossible… BUT WE DID IT! (Part 1)

it's been a thrilling time trying to do our own "feature walls" by DIY painting!

Why DIY?

- :) well, i DID try to ask my contractor whether anyone would paint such designs for us… i guess the outcome was 1) pay more more more, 2) even if you pay more, there's no guarantee the lines would be clean and straight, 3) even if you pay more more more, painters don't want to do it too (i finally understood this point after almost driving ourselves mad trying it ourselves!)

- :) painting has been a part of our story (we helped to paint a few community walls before) and we would love to bring this story right into our nest!

- :) trust me, this sense of ownership over the house… the fact that you have painted the walls by yourself and your other half.. i'm proud to say that we have literally touched EVERY corner of the OUR house, including the OUR ceiling!

- :) this is a wonderful bonding session with the hubby :) everyone should try it! :)

Of course, it got super frustrating at times, almost went crazy measuring and pasting the tapes (i think i'm allergic to stripes for a while now…), the weird side-effects I'm suffering from now include the urge to paint the white lines on the road while crossing the road… the urge to tear off any masking tape left on the walls of my void deck… (haha just scaring you, even though i swear it's true to a certain extent!)

but the joy of seeing how the walls turn out is soooo fulfilling…

Unveiling our TV wall in the living room!

gallery_66870_650_89869.jpg

gallery_66870_650_35543.jpg

i hope you like it! :) more to come!

Edited by coyote

Wah super hard work but EXCELLENT result :good: :good: :good:

Ur cloud is using a stencil, diy or store-bought? Just curious, not going to attempt that.

We bought the blank stencil frm artfren, ze wife then cut the cloud shape out and we used it to paint on the walls :) its quite simple actually and the results are very nice :) but using this method rather than the tape means u wun get straight lines as paint will seep through :) p.s. No worries it quite simple and we think it will look nice for children's bedrooms, giving a whimsical feel

Hey hey, can elaborate how to paint the side-by-side white & grey triangles at the bottom? Is it after painted the grey, tape and paint the white besides?

U mean the large triangles right? On top of the base we taped the grey triangles and painted the base colour on the strip, then the first coat of grey. After second coat of grey, remove the grey triangle's tape; then put the white triangle's tape - it should lie on and along the edge of the grey triangle. Then u paint the grey onto the tape to let the paint seep thru; and then u do the white coats :) does tt make sense?

hello clownprince! been following your awesome progress and gotta say love love love your diy wall paint and your room-within-a-room WIW (which im so looking forward to see!!)~!

Don't mind me asking as i wish to do some diy painting as well:

1. what kind of paint do you use? Wall paint (like nippon) or some other kind of oil paint from artfriend? (paint noob here...)

2. In between first base along the tapes then the first coat and second coat, how long usually do you let it dry? How big a brush too?

3. after the second coat, do you let it dry first then tear off the tape? or as soon as the second coat is painted?

Sorry sorry if too many questions!! I'm just very kiasee haha, thanks in advance ya! Looking forward to the rest of you progress!

Yes and no hahaha...i so jialet, why paint on tape to let paint seep through?

We bought the blank stencil frm artfren, ze wife then cut the cloud shape out and we used it to paint on the walls :) its quite simple actually and the results are very nice :) but using this method rather than the tape means u wun get straight lines as paint will seep through :) p.s. No worries it quite simple and we think it will look nice for children's bedrooms, giving a whimsical feel

U mean the large triangles right? On top of the base we taped the grey triangles and painted the base colour on the strip, then the first coat of grey. After second coat of grey, remove the grey triangle's tape; then put the white triangle's tape - it should lie on and along the edge of the grey triangle. Then u paint the grey onto the tape to let the paint seep thru; and then u do the white coats :) does tt make sense?

Wow beautiful. I really love the first pic for the painting of the wall.

I am also going to do strips for my common room. At first want to do a bigger width but after looking at the smaller width strips u did, I hesitate again. lol.

Can I know the dimension for the triangle and also the strip width?

Thanks

hello guysmiley,

thanks for your kind comment! :) hmm, the stripes were around 10cm (4-5inches). can't rem the exact! a tip i found was: if the length of the wall is a weird number, u can adjust the width of the last stripe such that you don't get an odd number for all the stripes, as a small difference in the last stripe will not be that obvious. i did a google and i think this was within the recommended width. apparently, less than 4 inches eld be too narrow and more than 12 inches wld be too heavy. you can try googling too! :)

as for the dimensions for the big triangles, i kinda did it by "feel" and proportion according to the size of my wall haha. we'll measure it again when we drop by our house :)

-clownprince's wife :)

hello clownprince! been following your awesome progress and gotta say love love love your diy wall paint and your room-within-a-room WIW (which im so looking forward to see!!)~!

Don't mind me asking as i wish to do some diy painting as well:

1. what kind of paint do you use? Wall paint (like nippon) or some other kind of oil paint from artfriend? (paint noob here...)

2. In between first base along the tapes then the first coat and second coat, how long usually do you let it dry? How big a brush too?

3. after the second coat, do you let it dry first then tear off the tape? or as soon as the second coat is painted?

Sorry sorry if too many questions!! I'm just very kiasee haha, thanks in advance ya! Looking forward to the rest of you progress!

hello chower!

thanks for your love! ;)

1) we used nippon paint, the paint that was left over by my painters for all my walls. we didn't buy any special paint.

2) we didn't time how long it took to dry.. but we went by "feel" haha. as long as the first coat looked kinda dry, we went ahead with second coat! of cos, i believe leaving it to dry completely or even overnight would be the best! just that we couldn't wait haha. so it depends on how "OCD" you are over ur painting haha. if you want it to be super nice, i recommend to wait longer and more coats of paint. we used normal painting-house-kind-of-brush. smaller ones to touch up the edges, roller type for the stripes (heng the stripes were big enough for the roller we had), for the clouds, we used a sponge-type of roller (not the paint house kind.. i found it in art friend.) but the effect is not that good. heng we were doing clouds, so had the "fluffy" "cloud" effect (but totally unintended muahaha)!

3)after second coat, we waited for it to dry (once again, we didn't time exactly how long) before peeling. for some parts, our base paint got peeled off too, but they were easily rectified by touching up with smaller brushes :)

hope this helps! all the best and have fun! ;)

-clownprince's wife :)

Yes and no hahaha...i so jialet, why paint on tape to let paint seep through?

hahaha let the wife come to the rescue. i read the hubby's explanation until i also blur hahaha.

if you do not paint the base coat over the inner edges of the tape, your final lines will not be clean and straight. (i.e. if we are painting the grey triangle on a pink wall, and we do not paint the PINK base coat over the INNER edge of the tape before painting the grey triangle… our grey paint might seep through the tape. this means that our final grey triangle will not have clean lines against the pink wall.)

doing the triangle wall is a little more complicated than the stripes wall because the BASE COLOUR to paint on some triangle inner sides are different. hope the upcoming tutorial helps :)

SCANDI - triangleS! you CAN Do It too!

DIY Tutorial: Painting Big Triangles :sport-smiley-018:

*Please note that as our wall is pink, our BASE COLOUR is pink.

*Triangles A & B are grey

*Triangle C is white

gallery_66870_8_369137.png

STEP ONE

- plan the dimensions of your 3 triangle

- paste the tapes A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3 on the OUTER side of Triangles A & B.

- paint BASE COLOUR PINK on the INNER edges of Triangles A & B.

- when the edges are dry, paint Triangles A & B GREY.

- double coat the triangles

STEP TWO

- REMOVE tape B3. (this sounds confusing, but we have to shift this due to the inner edge of Triangle C)

- paste the tapes C1, C2, C3 on the OUTER side of Triangle C.

- paint BASE COLOUR PINK on the INNER edges of Tapes C1 & C2.

- paint the BASE COLOUR GREY on the INNER edge of Tape C3 (this base colour is different because if the paint seeps through C3, it wld seep into the GREY triangle)

- when the edges are dry, paint Triangle C WHITE.

- double coat the triangle

STEP THREE

- OPENING CEREMONY! peel the tapes off!

- touch up if needed!

hope this helps! :)

Edited by clownprince

Thanks for the super detailed tutorial, u r not only good at painting but also teaching :thumbs up: :thumbs up: :thumbs up: :thumbs up: :thumbs up: :thumbs up: :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

• Like 1

To clownprince's wifey~

ok i officially declare you as the most awesome wifey and fellow forumer for posting more tutorials to assist your helpless comrades~~ Gam sia very much on your advice and yay to your new house! :D

• Like 1

To clownprince's wifey~

ok i officially declare you as the most awesome wifey and fellow forumer for posting more tutorials to assist your helpless comrades~~ Gam sia very much on your advice and yay to your new house! :D

LOLOL i know she's awesome, that's why i married her - but sorry i'm not sharing hahaha

@coyote and @countryglow, let us know when u are painting ur walls, if we are free we dun mind helping out =)

clownprince

:thumbs up:

Power. Now my wife is asking for pink stripes liao. *Faints*

How do you ensure the stripes are straight? as in perpendicular to the ground. won't like crooked or etc? cos my walls kinda uneven..