Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Syafia Diyana

Classic European & American Mixed Home

Renovations are close to end end yet still so far... :unsure:

So much touch ups that still have yet to be done... The house is still far from final cleaning before handover... Not sure to be excited or how to feel at this point... One thing for sure, I do know that patient will finally be paid off...

Lightings and fans are finally up tho still have yet to be completed...

FullSizeRender%208.jpg

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

FullSizeRender%2010.jpg

FullSizeRender%209.jpg

Edited by Syafia Diyana

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I hope the handover will be soon... It's not that I can't wait to move in... But the process is definitely extremely tiring... :unsure:

At the last minute I made an additional carpentry work request... As I could not find the appropriate size for the dressing table for my tiny master bedroom, I decided to customize it. So will be having a suspended dressing table in by mid of next week.

More updates and hope finish line real soon... I'm exhausted already... :wacko:

Kitchen is almost completed but still required touch ups on the cabinet doors and missing of handles... But it is definitely looking good... I'm in love with my kitchen...

FullSizeRender%202_2.jpg

FullSizeRender%203_1.jpg

FullSizeRender%207.jpg

FullSizeRender%204.jpg

FullSizeRender%205.jpg

Hi Syafia, can i just enquire are all the carpentry made of solid wood or solid ply wood? I show your pictures to my contractor, he is like telling me with those carving details (non flat surface), can only be done using solid wood which is very expensive. I was just thinking so that means all my doors, carpentry will all have to be flat surface so that they can paste the laminate. Will anyone be able to enlighten me on this? I am paying like 20K for carpentry that only comes with flat surface??

Hi Syafia, can i just enquire are all the carpentry made of solid wood or solid ply wood? I show your pictures to my contractor, he is like telling me with those carving details (non flat surface), can only be done using solid wood which is very expensive. I was just thinking so that means all my doors, carpentry will all have to be flat surface so that they can paste the laminate. Will anyone be able to enlighten me on this? I am paying like 20K for carpentry that only comes with flat surface??

Hi.

My shoe cabinet, TV console, master bathroom vanity, master bedroom wardrobe are made of plywood with laminate. The wainscoting are made of mdf board then spray painted. My kitchen cabinets are all made of solid nyatoh wood. You can see the difference in the doors for my kitchen and the bathroom vanity door. Quality is definitely different. Finishing also cannot be the same. Of course if you wish to have a nice carving cabinet doors, you have to go for solid nyatoh wood. Costly, yes. But it last a very long time. Price wise, kitchen cost about $20k ish with glass back splash on wet side, tiles on dry side and color Quartz for counter top.

Hope that helps.. 😀

Hihi Syafia!

Thanks for your PM and for sharing! :) Your carpentry and overall renovation so far are looking REAL good! Your theme has turned out so successful! WOW 20ishK on your kitchen is really a bomb :furious: Definitely because of the solid nyatoh wood...much more costly due to the wood grade, quality and lifespan. If I'm not wrong, only solid nyatoh wood allows such carvings, normal solid plywood and laminate is not possible to achieve such design and effect. We wanted to do some sort similar and realised the cost :jawdrop: As much as we swear by the good quality of nyatoh wood (my parents' kitchen cabinets lasted them 15 years and still in good condition), it's too hefty for our pockets. Additionally, for us who seldom stay in the kitchen, we decided to do away with throwing so much $ on this part of the house. Hence, my contractor came up with an alternative for our kitchen cabinets.

Don't mind I share a few of my photos here :P

These are my kitchen cabinets - alternative method to achieve the country theme I want.

20150505_170642_zpsfbyfrhts.jpg

20150505_170236_zpswh7lbxk4.jpg

20150505_121308_zpspfnaxsic.jpg

Our cabinet material are solid plywood which are laminated and/or hand painted. Those with the wood trim borders are painted MDF boards nailed onto the laminated wooden doors. While the rest that are long panel-like are grooves cut into the wood and later hand-painted to make the grooves in between the panels more obvious and outstanding. Our cabinets are not entirely MDF board material, only the wooden trims are. The base wood is still solid plywood - which are more lasting than MDF board and cost a fraction of yours :P

@leafyyue - For your info too. Hope my sharing helps you see the difference in the different wood type and costing involved :rolleyes: :D

Hi.

My shoe cabinet, TV console, master bathroom vanity, master bedroom wardrobe are made of plywood with laminate. The wainscoting are made of mdf board then spray painted. My kitchen cabinets are all made of solid nyatoh wood. You can see the difference in the doors for my kitchen and the bathroom vanity door. Quality is definitely different. Finishing also cannot be the same. Of course if you wish to have a nice carving cabinet doors, you have to go for solid nyatoh wood. Costly, yes. But it last a very long time. Price wise, kitchen cost about $20k ish with glass back splash on wet side, tiles on dry side and color Quartz for counter top.
Hope that helps..

Edited by CountryGlow

Hihi Syafia!

Thanks for your PM and for sharing! :) Your carpentry and overall renovation so far are looking REAL good! Your theme has turned out so successful! WOW 20ishK on your kitchen is really a bomb :furious: Definitely because of the solid nyatoh wood...much more costly due to the wood grade, quality and lifespan. If I'm not wrong, only solid nyatoh wood allows such carvings, normal solid plywood and laminate is not possible to achieve such design and effect. We wanted to do some sort similar and realised the cost :jawdrop: As much as we swear by the good quality of nyatoh wood (my parents' kitchen cabinets lasted them 15 years and still in good condition), it's too hefty for our pockets. Additionally, for us who seldom stay in the kitchen, we decided to do away with throwing so much $ on this part of the house. Hence, my contractor came up with an alternative for our kitchen cabinets.

These are my kitchen cabinets - alternative method to achieve the country theme I want.

Our cabinet material are solid plywood which are laminated and/or hand painted. Those with the wood trim borders are painted MDF boards nailed onto the laminated wooden doors. While the rest that are long panel-like are grooves cut into the wood and later hand-painted to make the grooves in between the panels more obvious and outstanding. Our cabinets are not entirely MDF board material, only the wooden trims are. The base wood is still solid plywood - which are more lasting than MDF board and cost a fraction of yours :P

@leafyyue - For your info too. Hope my sharing helps you see the difference in the different wood type and costing involved :rolleyes: :D

Hi...

Nice kitchen of yours there... :)

Well, definitely prices wise will be much cheaper if using ply wood & not both side with top and bottom cabinets. I did think about that too but since I have to spend money, might as well do it right one time since I intend to live in this house for a very long time... ;) But most importantly, I just cannot compromise my design with an alternative as laminated ply wood cabinet doors cannot give me that nice solid wood carving...

As for me, I do utilize my kitchen on a daily basis and do heavy cooking and cleaning. It is my territory like what my husband said... Lol... :sport-smiley-004: A little pain of paying is definitely worth it... :)

Dear countryglow, thank u so much for sharing too. My contractor keep saying only solid wood can do these craving design. I like how ur contractor does the job as much as how I like Syafia's one. I am using both your experience to justify their claims. Sad manz...

Are you still updating this? Wanna see it all with the furniture in all its glory!!

Great reno, thanks for sharing! <3

Hi bykaraanne...

Yes I am still. But the progress was a bit slow last week and haven't visited my house yet this week thus no updates for me to share. Nevertheless, according to my ID, next week should be hand over already so shall update soon.

Thanks for liking my journey. Saw your blog. Very nice interesting concept. Love London homes as well. Happy renovating. :D

Edited by Syafia Diyana

Hihi Syafia!

Hi countryglow, I love your cabinets. I would like to know more on how to make it possible. Could please pm me? Thank you!

Just wanted to come back and add -- totally get what you're saying. When I "embarked" on my London home, so many IDs kept wanting to push me into victorian... Which wasn't me at all!

I think I ended up with a London Modern theme but just got my keys today so waiting to see how it'll pan out.

Love your dedication to the them and how everything is on point!!

I'm drooling over that tub especially, HDB's positioning in my MBR toilet means that I may not be able to get my tub after all, or ugly pipes :bleah:

Can't wait to see your house all put together, again. :)