Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Another way to consider is to use a wifi range expander/repeater to extend the coverage to the 2nd floor.

This will save the trouble of having 2 separate modems and routers on 2 different level.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Well from some other Tblog discussion this I remember once extender is use the speed cuts by 1/2. So trying to see if possible to settle with simple router itself or is there a particular router with better in built range capability to achieve this effect.

Well from some other Tblog discussion this I remember once extender is use the speed cuts by 1/2. So trying to see if possible to settle with simple router itself or is there a particular router with better in built range capability to achieve this effect.

Speed is definitely affected. Given a 100M plan nowadays, the affected speed is still good enough for general surfing n streaming unless you need it for gaming.

As for built in range expander in the router, as far as those brands that I've tried, a simple range expander still gives me a better result.

Speed is definitely affected. Given a 100M plan nowadays, the affected speed is still good enough for general surfing n streaming unless you need it for gaming.

As for built in range expander in the router, as far as those brands that I've tried, a simple range expander still gives me a better result.

Makes sense too thanks for the info :)

If your block is already done with the MUP or scheduled for MUP you can apply for the permit with HDB to install 2 compressors but if your area has not even been scheduled then basically don't even bother.

Unfortunately my current area has gone through it so I can have 2 compressors now but D... I'm moving out of here and the new area has not undergone so I'm stuck with a single compressor again haha!

On the good side, I'll get to save $$$ and not spend on luxuries. Cos truly trying to cool down the living/dining area in an EM is not easy purely because of the open vacuum space at the staircase area. So you need at least 2 strong 18K or 24K blowers to achieve some effect for the area.

So what we have gone with is a System 4 in the end with a 12K blower in our new MBR and 9K blowers in all 3 bedrooms on 2nd level for now. We will be shifting the compressor near to the edge and fan blowing straight out of the balcony itself so the whole area will not be so hot due to the heat from the compressor fan.

Not sure how others are doing it but this is how we have arranged with our ID AC guy yesterday. Quote came in and we decided it's acceptable after comparing to some others we have asked because this is compared as a non standard HDB installation that we are doing and they will be doing multiple trips as per our ID request and coordinate fully with her so this will be the bonus we get.

As for network this is still my headache for now but I guess most suggestions will be the new Starhub cable + fibre package where you can then have a cable modem and router on 1 level and fibre modem and router on another level to attain the best effect.

Would be good with any other experts here can share a better way out! I'm all ears... :)

Thanks for the advise! Appreciate it! :thumbs up:

Hacking all done today and in 2 days but unfortunately debris cannot be hauled in time so they will return tomorrow to remove the debris.

Tiling work is next but :( they will not begin till next Monday. Fingers crossed and hope my scheduling isn't affected. Always my biggest fear when my timeline to move is tight.

But I have faith my ID will deliver the goods...Let's see.

In any reno, needs to give some allowance for delay. There sometimes can have unforeseen issues...

Yup yup for sure just praying only small ones and nothing major.

Made all my required purchase early to facilitate this process too :). Let's see. fingers crossed.

Congrats on your new house doubleEM and all the best on your renovation! Can see that you are doing a lot of research on renovation stuff :good:

Thanks for dropping by:)

Well did as much as I can when we decided on the purchase of our new place till now. So still very Noob compared to other old birds in here.

Lots more to learn...

New Updates

Our hacking job is complete last week and hauling was done over Friday which we made a trip down and was surprise to see a team of about 6-8 workers at our place itself finishing up and hauling the wreckage done.

(Sorry to any of my neighbours)

It's a new week and today the tiler team goes in to assist us in smoothing out the walls after the wreck and discussing the laying of of tiles for our shower feature wall in both bathrooms and the common bathroom flooring.

As we are opting to overlay with vinyl for all other areas so this is really the little tiles that will appear in our new place :(.

Oh yes of course the kitchen backsplash too.

The decision of the feature shower wall with our hexagonal tiles has been decided:

Common Bathroom Shower

IMG_9278_zpsifs2ei0z.jpg

A color tone play with the color contrast of the wood color floor tiles to bring out the effect. ID decided to lay the tiles with the pointed edges facing the top & bottom to make the space we have look higher. So we are good with her suggestion which have never disappointed us so far.

MBR Bathroom Shower Wall

IMG_9280_zpsrwk4nzjw.jpg

Going with a cleaner color tone with the MBR shower wall to compliment the vinyl flooring outside of shower area which is our walk in wardrobe area as well.

Will be meeting up with ID tomorrow on site to discuss certain changes to original plan and excited to see the changes as our original idea to roof our service balcony may now be tweaked to create a "glass window" over the roofing with transparent tiles and left unboxed with false ceiling to achieve a "green house" effect to the area.

Our original idea to use glass or acrylic to roof is thrown off because HDB apparently approves nothing now but the red tiled roofs. All others will have their permits rejected so in bid to fit time schedule we worked around it and decided not to take the risk and perhaps save some money on PE as well.

More Updates

Just uploading some pics our ID sent us today.

Common Bathroom Entrance

IMG_9288_zpsw5j13ysc.jpg

We decided to hack off the original door frame as we figures this short little "tunnel" won't be used much if door in inside the inlet so decided to push the door outwards instead.

Ouch as I realized only after I need to spend some money on a new door frame :( and maybe some extra on material to cover up the void area on top of the door frame as well to ceiling.

Common Bath Interior

IMG_9287_zpssf1xwlwz.jpg

The most loved about this area is the big window space this unit offers and we intend to leave them empty as you see now with no window frame built over. So just cement screed patch and then ID will lay tiles over it. We decided to go with this look after seeing some other homes using this concept as well for the bathroom windows.

We are also thankful the pipes are situated at the corners of this space after hacking the 2 bath into 1. Whew...but well the bottom part of these pipes :( oh well its a mess.

MBR Shower Area

IMG_9286_zpszklqbmzv.jpg

The void here will be covered by our glass panel for the shower screen and the half height column is kept this way so we can mouth our vanity top over a solid backing instead of over the shower screen glass panel which will not be strong enough.

Kitchen & Walk In Wardrobe Divider

IMG_9285_zpswysaonfu.jpg

Time to erect a wall between the empty space you see here to divide the kitchen space and our new walk in wardrobe with the shower area. So we will be erecting up a wall to separate the original layout of the kitchen with common bath.

Received our electrical re-wiring quote today and to our surprise came in very reasonable from our ID chosen electrical team and company. We submitted our counter offer and pending their acceptance. Hope they will accept and we can then offer our ID her "dream team" and without hurting our pockets as well.

Kudos to our ID as she has gone beyond her scope to even help us negotiate with her suppliers in AC guy and electrician to ensure she helps us get better prices from them. We told her to work some magic for us in terms of the quote being given to us and so far her magic seems to work and we are thankful.

We must also admit we are left very impress by the workaholic ID we have who surprised us last week with a text at 145am telling us she has just completed the wiring and lighting plans for the house so we can begin purchasing our lights and hunt for them.

This is because earlier in the day I text her asking for the lighting plan as I would like to begin hunting for lights to be able to get the best prices. Was expecting today instead but she delivered same day results albeit past MN. Impressed indeed.

Been a real pleasure so far working with her and hope things continue to move smoothly ahead...