Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

When I started my t-blog, there were very limited marble-looking countertop choices so we had to go with the Gloria solid top. It is one of the most realistic Carrara marble lookalikes we've seen.

but it seems like more people are doing it which meant more quartz choices for it. I know after my Reno is complete then there was a new one on Lux's blog... But it's ok cus the solid top was quite cheap so we are ok to change the top and sink if we want to in a few years' time.

solid top takes maintaining and careful usage compared to Quartz. So consider Quartz if you like the look. I really couldn't accept the "marble" Quartz countertop so went with the solid top. 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
13 hours ago, wsketchpad said:

Yups! I'm gonna use Caesarstone just like @Luxexplorer!

Sorry for hijacking your tblog, @hellofromanotherside. haha.

Hi hi!  LuxExplorer here :) and i apologise the hijacked for some countertop  discussion for those considering.

After installation and registering for warranty, the cesearstone staff will come by to give a demonstration on how to take care of the material.  Scratch-proof , heat-proof and in the event if any chipped off they can repair as well. ( that would really require a super duper hard knock ) they will give you the logo which you can stick on as a "brand "

I used to use solid top for my previous home and what frustrates me.was the scratches and marks which will surface after some use. Currently I am using the black solid top for the vanity because my sink actually has a huge cut out so I thought it will not be so wasteful but unfortunately the scratches are already appearing and it is not even not as intensively used. I will review this with some photos over at my blog later so that you can see it . 

** the most beautiful marble-ly quartz  I have seen is from silestone.  Especially the matt ones look absolutely gorgeous but a big hole in pocket 

Edited by Luxexplorer

Guest brrrando

Totally random but love the titles of your updates! Don't get me wrong digging the moodboard as well hahahah Those sketches though... you should really frame them up amazing! Looking forward to reading more

Domo Arigato, Mr Contractor

Over the past few weeks we’ve been in discussion with a few contractors and nervously waiting for their quotes. We have a strict budget in mind (having spent that much on beautiful furniture *gulps* there isn’t much room for negotiation). I spoke to three:

• A is my ID’s regular contractor with whom she’s been working for most projects. I knew they were gonna be pricey but their carpentry is second to none. They also have company tshirts which is so cute but of cos no one cares about this but me.
  •  B is someone my brother engaged when he moved into his new home. I can attest to B’s workmanship because my brother’s house was featured on the front cover of Home & Décor! (Of cos, cannot say which issue heh) His forte is flooring and being very reasonably priced.
  •  C is a contractor my friend recommended. She is almost done with her renovation and loves how old-school this uncle is. The pattern I’m sensing is the good, reliable ones with years of experience are usually not very happening on social media haha.

So they returned with quotes, and my migraine also came back.

A: Came back to us in 3 days. But a good 12K over budget!!??!! I wanted to just curl up in a dusty corner and forget about this whole renovation. They broke down each and every item we were charged for, which can be a good and bad thing. Very transparent and professional, therefore also very expensive.

B: Took the longest to reply. But 6K under budget. Hooray! Then you realise he missed out a few items, so all in all it would’ve been 2K OVER budget. Wth man. Talk about false hope. But there were a few items that were definitely priced well, like flooring, hacking, general work.

C: Good with follow-ups. 3K under budget. Also left out many items and we knew it would bust the max we have again. The quotation felt a little slipshod =(

My ID came to the rescue and came up with an idea I didn’t even know was possible – we’ll use A for carpentry, and B for everything else. After simplifying our list and keeping only what’s really important, we’ve kept it within budget with some allowance. B has applied for the reno permit with HDB last week, and we’re told it should take around 3 – 5 working days. Woohoo!

Next up: I Am A Material Girl

22 hours ago, brrrando said:

Totally random but love the titles of your updates! Don't get me wrong digging the moodboard as well hahahah Those sketches though... you should really frame them up amazing! Looking forward to reading more

Thank you I really thought no one would notice those lame titles LOL. I'm sorry that the photos can't seem to appear again - will see if I can upload the other sketches on another image hosting site. Good idea on framing it up! Maybe in our next home, to remind us where we started =D

7 hours ago, Starrain said:

This is a beautiful house in Singapore. Saw this few days back. Just sharing it with you!

HTKhairul_1.jpgHTKhairul_8.jpg

It IS a beautiful home, thank you for sharing with me! Though I think I know the owner haha. You and I have similar taste it seems!

Guest brrrando
23 hours ago, hellofromanotherside said:

Thank you I really thought no one would notice those lame titles LOL. I'm sorry that the photos can't seem to appear again - will see if I can upload the other sketches on another image hosting site. Good idea on framing it up! Maybe in our next home, to remind us where we started =D

"Started from the bottom now we're here". LOL. Would love to see more of those sketches! Nah those titles are pretty funny keep 'em coming

Reno Progress: 2 May

Hi all! It's been just less than a month since reno commenced, and things are slowly picking up. We started with a completely blank slate - we opted for no floors or even doors, which gives us complete control over the final outcome...but also means extra kaching. My husband and I have been coming down to see the progress every weekend and we're happy with it so far. M has been very good with updating us on the next steps. I couldn't be more pleased with her service. Anyway, here's our WIP. It doesn't seem like much, but I'm really excited about every single tile that's found its way into our home.

994c2a.jpg

Cement screed for the whole house all up and ready. Due to costing we decided to keep the screed for the living + dining area then warm it up with rugs, and will use parquet for the bedrooms. You can see in the background that our kitchen tiles have been laid, and the wall's been hacked! 

fn5ppd.jpg

What we were quite displeased about is that the kitchen has not one, but TWO load-bearing beams at the top. So much for a truly open kitchen -_-

s4q9hh.jpg

Markings all ready for carpentry. Love that we're making full use of the space by shifting the hob and hood to the corner, so there's more elbow room for prep and sink.

jqs5mg.jpg

Previously there were pretty ugly brown tiles sporadically placed on the left wall. My husband couldn't stand it so he told the contractor to just cover it with plain white tiles haha. 

Next week they're installing the aircon pipes, setting up the water heater and finishing the floors. Gahh the wait is killing me!

Edited by hellofromanotherside

3 hours ago, hellofromanotherside said:

Reno Progress: 2 May

Hi all! It's been just less than a month since reno commenced, and things are slowly picking up. We started with a completely blank slate - we opted for no floors or even doors, which gives us complete control over the final outcome...but also means extra kaching. My husband and I have been coming down to see the progress every weekend and we're happy with it so far. M has been very good with updating us on the next steps. I couldn't be more pleased with her service. Anyway, here's our WIP. It doesn't seem like much, but I'm really excited about every single tile that's found its way into our home.

994c2a.jpg

Cement screed for the whole house all up and ready. Due to costing we decided to keep the screed for the living + dining area then warm it up with rugs, and will use parquet for the bedrooms. You can see in the background that our kitchen tiles have been laid, and the wall's been hacked! 

fn5ppd.jpg

What we were quite displeased about is that the kitchen has not one, but TWO load-bearing beams at the top. So much for a truly open kitchen -_-

s4q9hh.jpg

Markings all ready for carpentry. Love that we're making full use of the space by shifting the hob and hood to the corner, so there's more elbow room for prep and sink.

jqs5mg.jpg

Previously there were pretty ugly brown tiles sporadically placed on the left wall. My husband couldn't stand it so he told the contractor to just cover it with plain white tiles haha. 

Next week they're installing the aircon pipes, setting up the water heater and finishing the floors. Gahh the wait is killing me!

I know how your husband feels about the ugly brown tiles. I hate them with such passion. I'm getting them covered too!

Hi there! I really hope you're still going with the dark blue kitchen cabinets, we almost went with that but opted out of that as we have a tiny kitchen and didn't want it to be too dark. I'm excited to see your end product!

And I totally understand the light situation, I went through the same situation with my wife lol. We eventually agreed on a copper light too :) I love the Tom Dixon pendant! It's beautiful!

On 5/2/2016 at 8:45 PM, wsketchpad said:

I know how your husband feels about the ugly brown tiles. I hate them with such passion. I'm getting them covered too!

HAHAHA I personally don't mind it, but I'm sure it'll drive me crazy eventually when I'm on the toilet and staring at that wall. Why would they DO that to us?? Those tiles were completely unnecessary. 

On 5/3/2016 at 1:44 AM, althevin said:

Hi there! I really hope you're still going with the dark blue kitchen cabinets, we almost went with that but opted out of that as we have a tiny kitchen and didn't want it to be too dark. I'm excited to see your end product!

And I totally understand the light situation, I went through the same situation with my wife lol. We eventually agreed on a copper light too :) I love the Tom Dixon pendant! It's beautiful!

Hellooo! Yes, we're still going ahead with the dark blue cabinets, but our ID has suggested to keep the top cabinets in a lighter colour, like light grey, to give the illusion of higher ceilings. Let's hope that works out, cos the kitchen is soo small!

Good choice on the copper light! They make such beautiful statement pieces for any part of the house, don't you think? =D

8 hours ago, hellofromanotherside said:

Hellooo! Yes, we're still going ahead with the dark blue cabinets, but our ID has suggested to keep the top cabinets in a lighter colour, like light grey, to give the illusion of higher ceilings. Let's hope that works out, cos the kitchen is soo small!

Good choice on the copper light! They make such beautiful statement pieces for any part of the house, don't you think? =D

that sounds like a great idea for small spaces. Yeah, I have a small kitchen too which will force us to be neat (i hope)

Yep definitely! The only problem is, there are so many beautiful copper lamps...gotta have them all haha