Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hasibee

Poll On Backsplash

Mine is tempered glass backsplash. So far no fungus. I make it a point to clean it after cooking each day. Usually with Magiclean Kitchen wipe to wipe out the oil and grime, afterwhich i'll spray glass cleaner and wipe with newspaper. Still shiny as new. So far no scratches and i don't think it'll break or shatter too. If i remember correctly, my ID quoted $150 for it. It covers the entire length in between the kitchen cabinets and not just the cooking area.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Mine is tempered glass backsplash. So far no fungus. I make it a point to clean it after cooking each day. Usually with Magiclean Kitchen wipe to wipe out the oil and grime, afterwhich i'll spray glass cleaner and wipe with newspaper. Still shiny as new. So far no scratches and i don't think it'll break or shatter too. If i remember correctly, my ID quoted $150 for it. It covers the entire length in between the kitchen cabinets and not just the cooking area.

I know this thread has been quiet awhile but it has some info I'm looking for regarding choice of s/s or glass backsplash.

Checking with those who did glass or s/s backsplash recently, what is the length for the price of $150 ? I had a quote of over $500 to do entire length of cabinet for mine. ( about length of 3 cooker hobs)

And does the tempered glass backsplash come in tinted glass? Thank you! :sport-smiley-018:

I know this thread has been quiet awhile but it has some info I'm looking for regarding choice of s/s or glass backsplash.

Checking with those who did glass or s/s backsplash recently, what is the length for the price of $150 ? I had a quote of over $500 to do entire length of cabinet for mine. ( about length of 3 cooker hobs)

And does the tempered glass backsplash come in tinted glass? Thank you! :sport-smiley-018:

tempered glass install at kitchen is all spray paint type. glass are usually in clear & spray to any color u want select from ici paint catelogue .

by right those paint spray onto the glass are not just normal paint. they have special paint for glass use which is very durable. (as u know, glass hav very smooth surface. if normal paint just spray on it, the paint will be scratch easily) so if your glass paint is normal paint, maybe there r very high chances it will have fungus as time goes by.

$150 to do glass cannot be. my s/sbacking abt 18ft is more $1100. glass is defintely easiler t clean but cannot drill anymore holes next time if u wanted. so i use s/s if not my friend do glass for me will be cheaper than my current s/s pricing. btw, be careful some contractors only uses tempered glass at stove area. if u need to open power point hole need to charge extra too.

tempered glass install at kitchen is all spray paint type. glass are usually in clear & spray to any color u want select from ici paint catelogue .

by right those paint spray onto the glass are not just normal paint. they have special paint for glass use which is very durable. (as u know, glass hav very smooth surface. if normal paint just spray on it, the paint will be scratch easily) so if your glass paint is normal paint, maybe there r very high chances it will have fungus as time goes by.

$150 to do glass cannot be. my s/sbacking abt 18ft is more $1100. glass is defintely easiler t clean but cannot drill anymore holes next time if u wanted. so i use s/s if not my friend do glass for me will be cheaper than my current s/s pricing. btw, be careful some contractors only uses tempered glass at stove area. if u need to open power point hole need to charge extra too.

Thanks for sharing this info on how the glass is coloured. Hmmm... wonder if the paint can be underneath the glass, so that I look thru clear glass to a nice colour underneath..just a thot.

I'm a metrics gal so I had to do a rough conversion of $1100/18ft, which works out to about $200 per metre. That's about the same price quoted by my conractor for mine which is slightly less then 3 metre. I'm pretty sure I will not be drilling anymore holes so that's not a concern for me. Don't mind about the price of glass either if its not too much of a difference. Its just the worry of cracking :)

Gotta make up my mind soon :unsure: ..wanna finalise by selection by this week

Thanks for sharing this info on how the glass is coloured. Hmmm... wonder if the paint can be underneath the glass, so that I look thru clear glass to a nice colour underneath..just a thot.

I'm a metrics gal so I had to do a rough conversion of $1100/18ft, which works out to about $200 per metre. That's about the same price quoted by my conractor for mine which is slightly less then 3 metre. I'm pretty sure I will not be drilling anymore holes so that's not a concern for me. Don't mind about the price of glass either if its not too much of a difference. Its just the worry of cracking :bleah:

Gotta make up my mind soon !! ..wanna finalise by selection by this week

sorry been very busy recently. so whats your choice? i bet u chose glass type cos u sound like u like glass verymuch.

sorry been very busy recently. so whats your choice? i bet u chose glass type cos u sound like u like glass verymuch.

my heart is on glass but more expensive leh... and the contractor i want 'rejected' me so now on hunt for another one and see if get better quote for glass :curse:

One contractor quoted me for 'sand glass' at $540; another quoted me $690 for 'tempered glass' for about 2.8m ( around 9 ft). Does anyone here know what is 'sand glass' and is it ok for backsplash?

For those who have done it, what is the type of glass used for your backsplash? ( besides tempered)

Thanks

Its me again on the glass backsplash. I've got my heart quite set on it but now its my hubby who is still scared of glass breaking.

I've tried searching the internet but ..... only found reported cases of glass hob shattering, glass shower screen shattering ....but no cases of glass backsplash shattering, only some people voicing concern that it might happen.

Does anyone know of actual cases? :dancingqueen:

I'm a metrics gal so I had to do a rough conversion of $1100/18ft, which works out to about $200 per metre. That's about the same price quoted by my conractor for mine which is slightly less then 3 metre. I'm pretty sure I will not be drilling anymore holes so that's not a concern for me. Don't mind about the price of glass either if its not too much of a difference. Its just the worry of cracking :)

Gotta make up my mind soon :( ..wanna finalise by selection by this week

My ID seriously quoted me $150 at the time of my reno, about 1.5 year ago. Maybe now more expensive... Also maybe bcos it was not for the entire length. Glass backsplash was already inclusive in my reno package but not the entire length of my kitchen. I requested to extend and was asked to pay additional $150. But are u sure not it's $1K plus ? That's really very expensive.

It was spray painted using special paint meant for glasses. U can click on my signature to see my T-blog. Got pic of my kitchen. U can see the length of the glass backsplash.

Edited by hasibee

My heart was set on Carrara White marble backsplash right from the beginning. I asked my contractor to quote for installation of marble backsplash, I'll purchase the marble on my own. Up till now, 50% into reno, no quotation from him. Then while into reno, he was pushing for glass backsplash, and briefly said $20 per foor iirc. If he quoted while I was collecting quotation, I believe he would've quoted lower. Now, little room for negotiation. Sickening. And I still want my marble backsplash! :notti:

Anyway, I quite like the ikea backsplash where you can use it as a writing board. Thinking of installing that above my kitchen table, opposite side of kitchen.

It was spray painted using special paint meant for glasses. U can click on my signature to see my T-blog. Got pic of my kitchen. U can see the length of the glass backsplash.

Me again. Have decided on glass backsplash n now kitchen under renovation already. Was told to choose colour from Nippon Bodelac 9000 series, so looking forward to a green tinted glass backsplash that match my light wood cabinate and brick colour tiles.

But contractor just informed me latest update is that the factory has to give up on using other types of paint, except their original red/black/white special glass paint. Because their past customers had complained abt fading colours when using other paint. *sigh* ....Has anyone heard about this recently?

Hasibee, you are lucky you chose black. Now i hv to decide to use white or switch to s/s because black or red is just too contrasting for my kitchen.

hee.. black glass is very nice! i jus got my kitchen done.. very very nice black glass backsplash!:dunno: is like hving a mirror in kitchen! 8|

dsc00385zs7.th.jpg

Edited by xlan

But contractor just informed me latest update is that the factory has to give up on using other types of paint, except their original red/black/white special glass paint. Because their past customers had complained abt fading colours when using other paint. *sigh* ....Has anyone heard about this recently?

Need to clarify - seems like problem is just with one supplier with current stocks. So contractor say ..if i not in hurry, he can try to arrange again. Got hope..ha

hee.. black glass is very nice! i jus got my kitchen done.. very very nice black glass backsplash!:P is like hving a mirror in kitchen! :dunno:

dsc00385zs7.th.jpg

Yes i agree with you...it's really very nice. Very reflective and easy to maintain, also after cooking, I don't have to hurry and clean it immediately on the same day as the dirt is not obvious. Whereas stainless steel, the dirt in very obvious and sticks easily, so better to clean it immediately. Sometimes i clean my glass backsplash after a few days, just wipe with magiclean or beautex kitchen wipes, then run over with newspaper, looks as good as new. Also i can keep an eye on the stove or flame from my sink bcos of the reflections...if u see my sink and stove position from my T-blog, you'll get what i mean. I just love my backsplash. i think that's the best thing i ever did to my kitchen so far.