Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dietgalvon

Project Muji Home - of white, wood and chrome

22 hours ago, kennylwf said:

Hi there could you share the contact for the windows?  Thanks! 

@kennylwf PM sent!

15 hours ago, Blade07 said:

Oh I see that you did not get a hood. What because it's harder to clean??

@Blade07 Nope, because no one actually feedback that their hood is useful. :x And if it spoils, it takes too much effort to replace it (most people just let it be). Most importantly, I rarely cook so don't see the need for it. Hahaha.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

GLASS TOP FOR DINING TABLE

It was a long story how we ended up with carpentry with laminate finish for our bar dining table. 

1. We wanted the bar top to be L (i.e. top and extends to the floor) and the L to be fully quartz. But the quartz for the top and the leg support is going to cost about $2k, excluding constructing the bar top.

2. We wanted to change it to solid top to save costs. But contractor said he does not recommend solid top for dining table. He said we are better off with laminate finish which happens to be cheaper as well. Downside is - need to be careful of water spillage.

SO. We decided to get some form of protection layer for the bar top!

As mentioned, the (thick) plastic sheet I ordered for the bar top was rejected by the fiance, so we have to part with some money to get a glass top. And to part with more money because ours is L-shaped. But I cannot deny that its so much better with the glass top!

IMG_8518.JPG.e59072cf0c41788691f2eedb5e7d1f6d.JPG

Love it!

The glass top installed on 8 Aug does not fit perfectly, and vendor promptly responded that they will redo. The second installation took place today. Pretty impressed with the vendor's service! 

Nice to see the end product.

I also just engage J&E for my house renovation. Hopefully VO won't be high :X

Btw, mind PM me the window and curtain contact?

12 hours ago, tjk1208 said:

Nice to see the end product.

I also just engage J&E for my house renovation. Hopefully VO won't be high :X

Btw, mind PM me the window and curtain contact?

@tjk1208 PM-ed

Nice glass top there for the table. Hope it did not end up the same price as getting the quartz top. 

I'm considering something like a bar top at the dining area now but may buy something off the shelf as pricing for build in stuff always exceed 1k

Hello Dietgalvon,

I have been silently following your T-blog and I really love your purchases and house theme! We are also considering a MUJI inspired home but we are working with a more limited budget.:( Thanks for the tips and recommendations, cheers to a beautiful home, it's coming out really nicely.

On 8/16/2017 at 1:49 AM, p31j1n said:

Can PM me the price and contact of your window contractor for service yard window? How long did it take to install?

@p31j1n PM-ed

13 hours ago, enderszonex said:

Hi Dietgalvon - Would you mind sharing J&E's contacts?

Thank you so much

Best regards,

E

@enderszonex PM-ed

On 8/16/2017 at 1:25 PM, Blade07 said:

Nice glass top there for the table. Hope it did not end up the same price as getting the quartz top. 

I'm considering something like a bar top at the dining area now but may buy something off the shelf as pricing for build in stuff always exceed 1k

@Blade07 Yup it's still less than half of the price than if I used quartz! It is true that carpentry ain't cheap; we gave up a TV feature wall to save the budget for other areas haha.

On 8/16/2017 at 9:54 PM, ballistica said:

Hello Dietgalvon,

I have been silently following your T-blog and I really love your purchases and house theme! We are also considering a MUJI inspired home but we are working with a more limited budget.:( Thanks for the tips and recommendations, cheers to a beautiful home, it's coming out really nicely.

@ballistica Thanks for your kind words! I saved a fair bit by buying my furnitures and lights off taobao (surely more than 50% lol). On hindsight, I think I can lower the amount we spent by getting cheaper vinyl flooring (less well known brands), doing away with the bar top (and the hanging shelves), and perhaps even overlaying only two sides of the toilet walls (or none at all).

So it's surely possible! :)

Edited by dietgalvon

Love the light at your main door!

My contractor says the area outside belongs to TC so he can fix if we insist but if they come, we have to remove it. Should I risk it?

Also, may I have the contact of your windows contractor? 

Thanks so much

1 hour ago, ahmiu said:

Love the light at your main door!

My contractor says the area outside belongs to TC so he can fix if we insist but if they come, we have to remove it. Should I risk it?

Also, may I have the contact of your windows contractor? 

Thanks so much

@ahmiu Hmm I'm not too sure where belongs to who! But initially I wanted it to be at the ceiling outside the flat, but contractor says that area is not ours already, so he suggested to do it at where it is now.

On windows contractor, tried to PM you but I think your inbox is full.

BLINDS

We chose Venetian blinds for the living room and MBR, and roller blinds for the 2 common rooms. For one, venetian blinds suits our theme and two, my nose and skin is very sensitive to dust so we have to get something that is easy to clean. For sure it is easier to clean roller blinds but the fiance prefers venetian blinds in the MBR.

Blinds are generally more expensive than day+night curtains. But our vendor told us that with good maintenance, blinds could last longer than curtains. I wasn't present at the installation but my fiance said that the vendor gave him some tips about how to maintain the blinds. The fiance said that they are very precise in installation (maybe others are too, haha) and the workmanship is good. I've been up to the home and I don't see anything I can pick on as well.

Vendor 1 (selected)

Experienced, but have limited samples. Quality of what was shown to us was good, though. Price was very reasonable. However, they ain't happy that we got someone else to quote us. :/ We went ahead with them because price is lower and quality is good too. No hard feelings though, fiance even had a long chat with them about life after the installation haha. They do give an estimated quote (if not, please request for one) and you can consider from there. But I can safely say, I doubt there are any vendor who can match their price.

Vendor 2 

Experienced, and brings with him lots of (curtains) sample. The roller blinds was exactly the same as what vendor 1 offered. For venetian blinds, only 1 wood type and 1 PVC type. I find the quality of venetian blinds from vendor 1 better. Price quoted was higher than vendor 1, though a lot cheaper than stores outside.

IMG_8565.JPG.faf4d513bab783435d2795ef1e038afe.JPG

Cream roller blinds for the common rooms!

IMG_8567.JPG.2466de97094afd386e2da77bb6d8f94b.JPG

Blinds in MBR (same as living room)

IMG_8570.JPG.aefe3359f77f45a0655292ab763c257c.JPG

Blinds in living room; glad the aircon trunking is now hidden!

BED DELIVERED!

We bought the bed way back in March! Not totally a bad thing because during the renovation period, I hardly have time to go check out prices of appliances and furnishings.

IMG_8593.JPG.1c5f52bbd2bc3e05476a170534e37aad.JPG

Totally underestimated the size of my MBR platform when we bought the tiny bedside table. Wasn't expecting so much gap there. Bed is flushed to the side because it acts as a 'seat' to my bedside ledge there! It was a risk to fix the height without being sure of the height of our mattress but thankfully it works just nice!! Height of mounted TV was just right too!

IMG_8608.JPG.e796b1d4a1a98b636c9a5c00acf4266a.JPG

I have decided that the placement of the tiny beside table shall be like that so that it looks less awkward (at least to me). Decided not to waste money and buy a new bedside table. This action had happened way too many times hahaha. :x

19 hours ago, dietgalvon said:

@ahmiu Hmm I'm not too sure where belongs to who! But initially I wanted it to be at the ceiling outside the flat, but contractor says that area is not ours already, so he suggested to do it at where it is now.

On windows contractor, tried to PM you but I think your inbox is full.

Ok I'll try suggest to my contractor again! 

I can't PM you too but I've cleared all the rubbish in my inbox; hopefully can PM now.

Also love your blinds; can suen bian share the vendors? Haha

Your MBR looks super cosy :) esp now with the mattress and blinds in. Quite unusual that the curtains vendor would get upset that you guys approached others for quote though. That's completely normal behavior. And the living room blinds do an awesome job of hiding the aircon trunking! Almost can pretend its not there anymore, hahaha