Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RyanYTH

My Modern Zen 2-Room 35sqm (Type 1) HDB BTO Apartment Renovation Journey

5 hours ago, RuFus58 said:

i am back after a long absence and @ryanyth, you have already moved in and celebrate Xmas, New Year and CNY already..

How is the feeling of living in your own little roof?  and yes, i saw your earlier reply.. i die die want my wardrobe!! hahaha! :P

My PCD is End Mar 18!!!

Capture.PNG.5138bf24d6b26d849c7f44bc654b7445.PNG

@mmoh

Sorry to hear about the delay. Are you at West Ridges?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
17 hours ago, RuFus58 said:

i am back after a long absence and @ryanyth, you have already moved in and celebrate Xmas, New Year and CNY already..

How is the feeling of living in your own little roof?  and yes, i saw your earlier reply.. i die die want my wardrobe!! hahaha! :P

My PCD is End Mar 18!!!

Capture.PNG.5138bf24d6b26d849c7f44bc654b7445.PNG

Wah seh long time no see Rufus!! :D Happy new year to you!
Wow, your estate must be very very very big if the 1st key collection was on July 17. More than half a year!
But still, congrats on your PCD!!! I think by April or latest May you should be able to move in already :D
Are you able to at least go see your house's main door yet?

Don't worry about those HDB estate external structures la, it'll be at least 6 months or even more
before the construction workers slowly complete the rest of the structures.

I wouldn't say you suay lah, because during this time, those early ones while got their keys early,
gotta close doors and windows everyday because environment still very dusty. Must regularly mop and sweep.
Yours is really a big estate sia, 14 blocks! Confirm got many amenities like Supermarket, Coffee Shops etc.

Yvonne made any 3D Drawings or layout plan for you already? come share share leh :D
Excited to see what she planned for you. By now you should have a concrete idea how you'd want your flat to look like already right?
Please feel free to ask anything you need, we will of course try our best to help you as much we can lor.
Important thing. don't stress, don't stress :D

As for rebate, I might be wrong about the 15k, but i remembered it was at least more then 10k. dunno letter throw where already lol.

Edited by ryanyth

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mmoh said:

not sure leh... 

1) 1 kitchen cabinet door soft closing spoiled

2) stainless steel condiment tray rusty

3) stainless steel dish rack rusty

4) P&R solid wood furniture got mold

5) Vinyl flooring gap growing bigger

@mmoh wah, so no.1 to 3, i need to pay some attn already, when purchasing.. 
think the rust is a constant issue. my parent house dish rack also rusty. den hard time finding a similar dimension type to replace.
rust is harmful, don't want utensils to come in contact.. later go into our food body..  
wonder "Song-Cho products good? comes heavily recommeded of their kitchen stainless steel.. IMM got an outlet.

i am anti-wood. so i will try minimise wherever possible, opt for glass doors, PVC etc. timber skirting all will remove and replace with tiles..

15 hours ago, 2Roomer said:

Sorry to hear about the delay. Are you at West Ridges?

Hi @2Roomer, yes.. my project is west ridges.. are you my future neighbour? :)

7 hours ago, ryanyth said:

Wah seh long time no see Rufus!! :D Happy new year to you!
Wow, your estate must be very very very big if the 1st key collection was on July 17. More than half a year!
But still, congrats on your PCD!!! I think by April or latest May you should be able to move in already :D
Are you able to at least go see your house's main door yet?

Hahaha... abit dishearten lah.. no progress in my BTO, just disappear for while since your posts also start to slow down. so dono what to do in this forum.
Yup, seems the biggest. haven't seen any nearby ones that have these many blocks. 
think by now u saw my announcement liao. Yeah. getting keys liao!!!!!!
i actually sneak in at wee hours to see my flat.. its all barricaded.. but i am very naughty person.. lol.
just hold my grills and door take selfie lor..  My BTO so strict leh. on that day 1st key collect happens, den barricades will be taken down. maybe since other blocks got ppl move in. wana restrict trespassing.. 

Don't worry about those HDB estate external structures la, it'll be at least 6 months or even more
before the construction workers slowly complete the rest of the structures.

I wouldn't say you suay lah, because during this time, those early ones while got their keys early,
gotta close doors and windows everyday because environment still very dusty. Must regularly mop and sweep.
Yours is really a big estate sia, 14 blocks! Confirm got many amenities like Supermarket, Coffee Shops etc.
ya. 14 blocks. 2 MSCPs, got supermarket, coffeeshop, childcare and RC. so can say self sufficient. 
but sway for the rest coz all these are link to my side of the MSCP which haven't ready since link bridge all got issue.
so i think coffeeshop and shophouses etc. will only open later.. 

Yvonne made any 3D Drawings or layout plan for you already? come share share leh :D
Excited to see what she planned for you. By now you should have a concrete idea how you'd want your flat to look like already right?
Please feel free to ask anything you need, we will of course try our best to help you as much we can lor.
Important thing. don't stress, don't stress :D

ok. i will share. maybe my expectation really high, she keep say, once i phycially see my hse, i will know my vision is hard to acheive.. i still say.. DIE DIE want Wardorbe + Wet & Dry Toilet (when i say dry, WC and Sink must be at dry area)
its non nego! 

As for rebate, I might be wrong about the 15k, but i remembered it was at least more then 10k. dunno letter throw where already lol.

Wonderful Announcement!!!! after i kpkb yesterday... HDB buck up liao!!! 

Last night update my Key Collection date : 27 Mar (AM)  

Hurray!!!!!! So happy i was really jumping in JOY!! that's just less then 2 weeks.. 

super excited guys!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!! T_T  (tears of joy)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RuFus58 said:

Hurray!!!!!! So happy i was really jumping in JOY!! that's just less then 2 weeks.. 

Indeed wonderful announcement!!
Congratulations!! :lol:

• Thanks 1

@mmoh wah, so no.1 to 3, i need to pay some attn already, when purchasing.. 
think the rust is a constant issue. my parent house dish rack also rusty. den hard time finding a similar dimension type to replace.
rust is harmful, don't want utensils to come in contact.. later go into our food body..  
wonder "Song-Cho products good? comes heavily recommeded of their kitchen stainless steel.. IMM got an outlet.

i am anti-wood. so i will try minimise wherever possible, opt for glass doors, PVC etc. timber skirting all will remove and replace with tiles..

Hi @2Roomer, yes.. my project is west ridges.. are you my future neighbour? :)

2 & 3 are complimentary items, waiting for carpenter to rectify.

Congrats! after so long, finally!! :good:

Hi RuFu58 - Congratulations! I kinda of your neighbour, I am from West Terra.  I suspect they may have slowed issuing of keys so as not to overwhelm BSC with defects rectification. Your unit is 45 sqm? If so, I think a dry + wet toilet is totally achievable. Although you got the 2-door toilet, your shower is located on side of kitchen wall right? I think Suneeta Devi has a similar flat layout and her toilet is so posh!

14 hours ago, 2Roomer said:

Hi RuFu58 - Congratulations! I kinda of your neighbour, I am from West Terra.  I suspect they may have slowed issuing of keys so as not to overwhelm BSC with defects rectification. Your unit is 45 sqm? If so, I think a dry + wet toilet is totally achievable. Although you got the 2-door toilet, your shower is located on side of kitchen wall right? I think Suneeta Devi has a similar flat layout and her toilet is so posh!

No i don't think so, if i remembered her unit is 35sqm same as mine.
In fact, i think her unit layout is exactly same like me, but mirrored version.
dry + wet toilet (sink and toilet bowl dry) would be difficult.

I'm very interested to see how her ID design her apartment.

@Rufus58 sure you won't consider converting Bomb Shelter as WIW?
If you do that, you will have alot of space to play around with in your bedroom.

Edited by ryanyth

17 hours ago, mmoh said:

2 & 3 are complimentary items, waiting for carpenter to rectify.

Congrats! after so long, finally!! :good:

@mmoh not bad, your carpenter still honour the replacement, how long has it been since you shifted? 2 year +?
thank you :)  yeah.. finally!!!! my long awaited dream! 

17 hours ago, 2Roomer said:

@2Roomer,  hi distant neighbour.  yes. they really take their own sweet time construct the blocks.  even when 1st few block were moving in, rest will under construction, without painting and windows etc.  mine no need say lah. u saw link bridge still under construction till now. 
Mine is type 1. 35 sqm. same as ryan. like he said, mirror image so i follow this blog which is really very useful as i cannot physically see my hse yet..

2 hours ago, ryanyth said:

No i don't think so, if i remembered her unit is 35sqm same as mine.
In fact, i think her unit layout is exactly same like me, but mirrored version.
dry + wet toilet (sink and toilet bowl dry) would be difficult.

I'm very interested to see how her ID design her apartment.

@Rufus58 sure you won't consider converting Bomb Shelter as WIW?
If you do that, you will have alot of space to play around with in your bedroom.

@ryanyth Nooooooo!!!!!! i don't want bomb shelter.. later clothes will have some kinda musky smell due to lack of ventilation. 
my vision is like... the sliding door to bedroom will be wardrob. so will inch out abit into living room. but front will convert to showcase for my shotglasses, and remaining space will be door.   
I am meeting Yvonne this sat, let me see if some pics or sketch can be produced after that. i will share here.

Yes, my hse will be a challenge for her...  she die die need to produce the results. i foresee shifting the toilet sink to achieve my vision. its the stupid sink facing the shower that is the problem. i don't want L shape shower screen. i want full rectangle wet area..

Edited by RuFus58

23 minutes ago, RuFus58 said:

@ryanyth Nooooooo!!!!!! i don't want bomb shelter.. later clothes will have some kinda musky smell due to lack of ventilation. 
my vision is like... the sliding door to bedroom will be wardrob. so will inch out abit into living room. but front will convert to showcase for my shotglasses, and remaining space will be door.   
I am meeting Yvonne this sat, let me see if some pics or sketch can be produced after that. i will share here.

Wow, you mean you will have a Sliding Door to your Bedroom that acts as both a Wardrobe + Display Cabinet?
The concept sounds very unique and nice! But .... i can forsee a couple of potential issues:

1) Cost. Having movable custom carpentry is going to cost alot, and earlier you say you don't want wood,
so i'm not exactly sure how you'd do this without doing custom carpentry. That said, ID is your friend, so
maybe she can get you a very good discount la.

2) Movable furniture is cool, but will it be durable?
Maybe 1st year still work well, but subsequently if move too much, sooner or later will breakdown no?
For me, I prefer static furniture. Less moving, less chance of breakdown. The terrible sliding door that HDB
gave me for my flat further cements my belief that moving furniture isn't very durable in the long run.

3) Not sure how this moving wardrobe/display cabinet works, but i'm assuming it will run on some tracks.
you may need to be prepared that this track need to constantly clean as dust will easily accumulate.
This is one of the reason, i don't use curtain track for my curtains and use plain rods instead. I don't like the idea

of dust accumulating inside the track. (or worse, insects or lizards making their home inside.)

4) This wardrobe/display cabinet you described sounds like it will act as a door to seal off the bedroom from the living room.
Personally because our layout plan is basically the same, you might feel quite "closed in" or claustrophobic if you were
to close off this "door" to the bedroom. That was how I felt when I tried closing the sliding door that HDB gave me anyway.

Yes, my hse will be a challenge for her...  she die die need to produce the results. i foresee shifting the toilet sink to achieve my vision.
its the stupid sink facing the shower that is the problem. i don't want L shape shower screen. i want full rectangle wet area..

I didn't move my toilet sink for my reno, and I really have no idea if this is even possible.
How will they route the water then considering obviously they can't shift HDB's internal water pipes?

Also, I really highly don't recommend moving the toilet static items such as sink and toilet bowl
because chance of accidentally breaking the HDB water proofing will be significantly increased.

Few years down the road, if the toilet water proofing really (touch wood) breaks, your downstairs neighbour is gonna
kpkb and it is going to be a super big headache because YOU may be responsible for coming out with money to repair it.

Edited by ryanyth

@mmoh not bad, your carpenter still honour the replacement, how long has it been since you shifted? 2 year +?
thank you :)  yeah.. finally!!!! my long awaited dream! 

erm... that is my weekend chalet :x

7 hours ago, mikethm said:

Great blog. Very informative and practical. Especially sharing prices openly which help others make better estimates. 

Thank you. Just trying to help ease the confusion about the reno process as most 2 roomers will be going at it alone when they get their key. :)

@ryanyth, no no.. miscom.. lol.. my showcase not moving.. i won't want it to move coz i am displaying my shot glass collections. later drop and shatter etc.. i will die of heartpain.. hahaha..  i was actually saying replacing the sliding door area with wardrobe and also adding a door.  i manage to find a picture that will give you a rough idea of my vision below.. See this 2 roomer also did similar.
so i will remove the sliding door, place a full height wardrobe and remaining 1/3 space place a door. 

If you see the pic below, roughly that's why it will look, but instead of TV being place will flush the backgroung with mirror and glasses.. put serveral 6 inch shelving in middle. top and bottom no point lah.. its beyond eye level. cannot see and appreciate my collections through out the globe. maybe will display other bigger collections.  Do you roughly get my idea? or wait till few mths lah. show  you end product.. lol..

(i die die need partition lah.. coz when i sleep, i need an enclosed feeling and complete darkness and silence. (open concept, sure will lights filtering in from various sources) i wont feel claustrophobic. 

5aab2c11f2fab_2rmdesign.jpg.f022df43703a3f7e3bfb00388d28796d.jpg

ok, now to toilet topic. sink can be moved. will have those tiny copper pipes running through. won't need to hack or disturb the waterproofing. tat's why my id say if i can tahan the sight of it.. compared to seeing a wet floor, sink and wc every time i shower, i told her i rather tahan the copper pipes. my tiny toilet,,  probably just a few cm of it lor..  i told her.. I CAN!!!!! wahahaha!

i will spend a lot for carpentary and lucky that is the one she can give me the friend price as its done by her factory. other stuffs  like tiling, electrical all is her contacts so hard to give hefty discount.. but wood is really my dislike, i will try minimise it wherever possible, or mask it so it don't look like wood!  previously life must be a tree.. lol.. i am so anti wood! 
:lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RuFus58 said:

@ryanyth, no no.. miscom.. lol.. my showcase not moving.. i won't want it to move coz i am displaying my shot glass collections. later drop and shatter etc.. i will die of heartpain.. hahaha..  i was actually saying replacing the sliding door area with wardrobe and also adding a door.  i manage to find a picture that will give you a rough idea of my vision below.. See this 2 roomer also did similar. so i will remove the sliding door, place a full height wardrobe and remaining 1/3 space place a door. 

Ah I get what you mean now. The idea is definitely very good. Especially good if it is static and not movable.
Which means....when you sleep, the wardrobe side will be facing you is it? I hope your wardrobe door dun have mirror, scare late at night you wake up ownself scare ownself :D

If you see the pic below, roughly that's why it will look, but instead of TV being place will flush the backgroung with mirror and glasses.. put serveral 6 inch shelving in middle. top and bottom no point lah.. its beyond eye level. cannot see and appreciate my collections through out the globe. maybe will display other bigger collections.  Do you roughly get my idea? or wait till few mths lah. show  you end product.. lol..

(i die die need partition lah.. coz when i sleep, i need an enclosed feeling and complete darkness and silence. (open concept, sure will lights filtering in from various sources) i wont feel claustrophobic. 

While the idea is very good, 35sqm ultimately has its limitations.
This partition wardrobe/display case you have may make you feel very claustrophobic once you close it.
Hard to explain to you unless you actually enter your place and have a feel of it.

And because it has dual function of wardrobe + display case, my worry is it will be very thick and you will
lose quite abit of floor space due to it. If you are able to pull it off though, I would say it would look VERY NICE INDEED! :D

5aab2c11f2fab_2rmdesign.jpg.f022df43703a3f7e3bfb00388d28796d.jpg

ok, now to toilet topic. sink can be moved. will have those tiny copper pipes running through. won't need to hack or disturb the waterproofing. tat's why my id say if i can tahan the sight of it.. compared to seeing a wet floor, sink and wc every time i shower, i told her i rather tahan the copper pipes. my tiny toilet,,  probably just a few cm of it lor..  i told her.. I CAN!!!!! wahahaha!

Interesting. I have never seen such copper pipes before though, I hope Yvonne showed you a sample how they might look like.
If never kena the waterproofing of course will be very good. Can't wait for your 3D drawings to come out let us take a look.

i will spend a lot for carpentary and lucky that is the one she can give me the friend price as its done by her factory. other stuffs  like tiling, electrical all is her contacts so hard to give hefty discount.. but wood is really my dislike, i will try minimise it wherever possible, or mask it so it don't look like wood!  previously life must be a tree.. lol.. i am so anti wood! :lol:

Just made a couple of Cheeseburgers for the weekend and thought i'd share with everyone lol. :lol:
I know typically everyone always says cooking is a waste of time. But still, I hope more people
will be willing to invest abit more for their kitchen reno, because the feeling of being able to cook in your own kitchen 
and subsequently eating what you've made is a really indescribable joy lol :D
#Homemade #Juicy #Cheeseburgers #Sinful #WeekendCookingAdventure

29261508_444871655968103_180707675578425

Edited by ryanyth

• Like 1