Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OnePostWonder

Newbies @ Jalan Membina

Hi PUR

Contractors/id always like that.

Give lots of excuses saying this no good, that no good.

Remember, you stay in the house, not them.

And remember, you pay for it.

And also never heard that undermount is not safe.

Before I moved to jalan membina, my previous house sink also undermount, use it for more than 11 years, never heard sink drop.

So, sont believe all those crap.

Be firm, tell the contractor you want to do this, dont give me excuses.

For the window grill, it is in the quotation. Dont by my contractor.

Remember tiolet windor also do. Air con window also do.

But I am sure your contractor will again say tiolet window nobody do want...tell your contractor bull sh.it.

Hope it helps.

Happy

Hihi Happy,

Undermount not safe, is not really sink drop. It's like what jazz meant. The worries is that the water will leak inside, and cos the cabinet to rot, so when u want to change the sink, but cant cos got to hack away the solid surface. This is the main worry lor. :bangwall: The good thing is that can just use hands to sweep the excess water in easily. Put chopping board there to cut something, also easier. :sport-smiley-018:

Haha, with regards to the window grill, my last time quotation, they also have stated: Install window grills for the whole hse, minus the 2 toilet. Guess for them is 'can save then save' bah. But i did not get from them, cos the price they quoted is really ex. :jawdrop: So now i'm still looking for recommendations on where to get them. :D

Hihi Jazzpop,

Top mount sink, also need to be careful. My current plc is top mount. After some time, the silicon will turn black, and so my mum tried to clean off the dirty line, but after cleaning it, realised that the silicon actually drop off. So some parts now have the silicon and some parts dont have, turns out that now water will also seeps in too. Hence now open the cabinet below, will see that the sink below turn black and the cabinet too. So guess for top mount users, have to wipe away the water each time to prevent the silicon to turn black in color, and also to note that not to try to clean the silicon part. ;)

Both ways also got the pros and cons. So headache, and I hate to make the decision to decide. :huh:

Neighbors, what type of door bells do u all buy? Batt type or ? Can we use the non batt type? Are our plc equipped for it? Also what type of main door locks u all get? No idea what type/brand/ or even where should I buy them? Anyone can recommend? Thanks in advance! :yamseng:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

1) oic....my undermount is cos I do concrete support for it. So, if water leak inside it is ok as I did a concrete stand at the sink and stove area.

2) Door bell, hmmm I installed it myself but the wire inside seow seow. When switch on the kitchen light, the door bell ring! I asked my electrician (who recently came to do some of the lighting: not from my id), he told me other places also like that.

3) Door lock, I find many of our neighbours use those squarish type where just mounted on the metal gate will do. Well, you may walk around your area and see your neighours door lock.

Hihi Happy,

Undermount not safe, is not really sink drop. It's like what jazz meant. The worries is that the water will leak inside, and cos the cabinet to rot, so when u want to change the sink, but cant cos got to hack away the solid surface. This is the main worry lor. :bangwall: The good thing is that can just use hands to sweep the excess water in easily. Put chopping board there to cut something, also easier. :sport-smiley-018:

Haha, with regards to the window grill, my last time quotation, they also have stated: Install window grills for the whole hse, minus the 2 toilet. Guess for them is 'can save then save' bah. But i did not get from them, cos the price they quoted is really ex. :jawdrop: So now i'm still looking for recommendations on where to get them. :D

Neighbors, what type of door bells do u all buy? Batt type or ? Can we use the non batt type? Are our plc equipped for it? Also what type of main door locks u all get? No idea what type/brand/ or even where should I buy them? Anyone can recommend? Thanks in advance! :yamseng:

1) oic....my undermount is cos I do concrete support for it. So, if water leak inside it is ok as I did a concrete stand at the sink and stove area.

2) Door bell, hmmm I installed it myself but the wire inside seow seow. When switch on the kitchen light, the door bell ring! I asked my electrician (who recently came to do some of the lighting: not from my id), he told me other places also like that.

3) Door lock, I find many of our neighbours use those squarish type where just mounted on the metal gate will do. Well, you may walk around your area and see your neighours door lock.

Hihi Happy,

I see. Hmm yr door bell problem, the electrician also cannot solve? :unsure: That's very weird lei, switch on lights and the bell ring? :idea: So if u change to batt type, then will not have this problem right? Maybe can try? :)

As for door lock, normal suqarish type means the newer design is it? Whole thing in silver color type? Ya, maybe next time when i go up, will take a look @ what my neighbour use bah. Where u buy yr lock? :)

Hihi Happy,

I see. Hmm yr door bell problem, the electrician also cannot solve? :unsure: That's very weird lei, switch on lights and the bell ring? :idea: So if u change to batt type, then will not have this problem right? Maybe can try? :)

As for door lock, normal suqarish type means the newer design is it? Whole thing in silver color type? Ya, maybe next time when i go up, will take a look @ what my neighbour use bah. Where u buy yr lock? :)

Hi Purplesky,

I am using the battery operated door bell....no problem to-date...:)

There are a few brands of locks which you might want to consider....there is this brand call Dura and another brand Castle...think pricing for both will cost slightly more than $100+. Can get it anywhere......but if u want to bargain...can go those hardware shops are Sungei Road...they usually offer some discounts...:)

Hihi Happy,

Hihi Jazzpop,

Top mount sink, also need to be careful. My current plc is top mount. After some time, the silicon will turn black, and so my mum tried to clean off the dirty line, but after cleaning it, realised that the silicon actually drop off. So some parts now have the silicon and some parts dont have, turns out that now water will also seeps in too. Hence now open the cabinet below, will see that the sink below turn black and the cabinet too. So guess for top mount users, have to wipe away the water each time to prevent the silicon to turn black in color, and also to note that not to try to clean the silicon part. ;)

Both ways also got the pros and cons. So headache, and I hate to make the decision to decide. :huh:

Hi purplesky

ya got to clear away the water lor. anyway my kitchen top is black so can't see the silicon even it turn black :P. Anyway seldom cook lah so seldom use the skin oso.

My hse door bell is not battery operated one. Its connected to the HDB doorbell socket there :P. So far so good only limited bell ringing sound. :P.

Edited by jazznpop

Hi Purplesky,

I am using the battery operated door bell....no problem to-date...:)

There are a few brands of locks which you might want to consider....there is this brand call Dura and another brand Castle...think pricing for both will cost slightly more than $100+. Can get it anywhere......but if u want to bargain...can go those hardware shops are Sungei Road...they usually offer some discounts...:)

Hihi Vit C,

Thanks, will get 1 battery operated door bell then. Seems good enough for me liao. Where u bought yr set?

Thanks for the info for the locks. Will go search for these 2 brands. Thanks. :D

Hi purplesky

ya got to clear away the water lor. anyway my kitchen top is black so can't see the silicon even it turn black :P. Anyway seldom cook lah so seldom use the skin oso.

My hse door bell is not battery operated one. Its connected to the HDB doorbell socket there :P. So far so good only limited bell ringing sound. :P.

Hihi Jazz,

Haha, seems like yr black kitchen top got 1 extra good point! :P Dont need to worry abt the silicon turning black! Cool! :D

i m choosing black too, previously i used the cheapest tabletop...i forgot the name for it, using wood, now already popping due to exposure to water, only a year so i m going for solid top this time round.

Hihi Vit C,

Thanks, will get 1 battery operated door bell then. Seems good enough for me liao. Where u bought yr set?

Thanks for the info for the locks. Will go search for these 2 brands. Thanks. :D

I bought my doorbell, lights, ceiling fan, switches etc all from AMK Industrial Park. But you don't have to go so far...you can get them from any hardware shops or even those shops selling lights along Balestier road. :)

I find that the stuffs that HDB provides for our home is kindof sub-standard.

First it was the faulty gate hinges....

Then now the mixer (bathroom shower) in my MBR became "rosak".....once I push the knob down to allow water to come out from the tap, and when I try to pull up the knob to change it back to shower head, the water cannot go back anymore.....it becomes half from tap, half from shower head...

any neighbours face the same problem as me? or is it only my house???!!!! **** irritated by all these silly things!!

I bought my doorbell, lights, ceiling fan, switches etc all from AMK Industrial Park. But you don't have to go so far...you can get them from any hardware shops or even those shops selling lights along Balestier road. :)

Hihi Vit C,

I see, u bought from amk - choo chiang? Actually amk not far for me, cos currently staying in sengkang. :)

Hello!

Newbie at Jalan membina at those 11XX, havent move in yet, waiting for reno handover.

Think my neighbours are not that easy to get along with coz my plumber and electrician told us that the neighbours came and complain about them.

The neighbours at my floor are old folks, so probably more difficult to get along with. Sighzz......

Not to mention, there's a unit opposite mine that always keep their door open and the auntie is kind of KPO. She can open the gate and just sit at the step and look into our house.........

I wonder what will happen after we officially move in to stay....my maltese always bark at the slightest noise, dunno if i'll get complaints too.....

Edited by soxcotton

Sighzz, took leave today and found out that my next door corridor granny neighbour actually hangs her granny undies at the corridor! Not only that, she got habit to wash the corridor with water and sweep the water and the dirt towards my door coz the drainage hole is near my door. She dont even bother to pick away her old dirt eg incense sticks and her plant leaves!

I wonder if that's the reason why the previous owner decide to move away and sold us the unit way below valuation. :(

Sighzz, took leave today and found out that my next door corridor granny neighbour actually hangs her granny undies at the corridor! Not only that, she got habit to wash the corridor with water and sweep the water and the dirt towards my door coz the drainage hole is near my door. She dont even bother to pick away her old dirt eg incense sticks and her plant leaves!

I wonder if that's the reason why the previous owner decide to move away and sold us the unit way below valuation. :(

Jln Membina unit selling below valuation? :unsure: