Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kellhound

Security considerations for landed properties

14 hours ago, snoozee said:

If you want pivot doors better confirm it first and let your main contractor know early. Cos the frame would be different and you will also need to cater for the pivot mechanism in the floor as well. Else you will have a problem if the normal door frame is installed as the design of normal door frame would be different from pivot doors frame.

Noted. I'm just surprised I can't find any local supplier/installer on Google

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
9 hours ago, Kellhound said:

Noted. I'm just surprised I can't find any local supplier/installer on Google

is your door and ironmongery under your main contractors scope? if yes, just tell him to go and source for you.

pivot door just uses a different type of hinge mechanism from normal doors and the door frame is different also. normal doors have hinges on the edge and the door will close "inside" the door frame but the frame for pivot doors will be around the door instead.

Ok, I've decided to do something radical (for local standards) instead. I'm going to remove and seal up my old main door and just use the sliding door as my main door.

From this

image.png.5c4c3aaf9dfcb08928cedb0d3c6a88bd.png

To this

image.png.60be81abb896935efe93a06d4cda49dc.png

27 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

Ok, I've decided to do something radical (for local standards) instead. I'm going to remove and seal up my old main door and just use the sliding door as my main door.

if your sliding door rollers start to fail, you may have problems opening/closing the doors.

maybe instead of sliding doors, do slide and fold doors? then you can use one of the panels as a swing door to enter/exit the house. of cos this is provided you are not planning to install any grilles as the grilles can get in the way.

9 hours ago, snoozee said:

if your sliding door rollers start to fail, you may have problems opening/closing the doors.

maybe instead of sliding doors, do slide and fold doors? then you can use one of the panels as a swing door to enter/exit the house. of cos this is provided you are not planning to install any grilles as the grilles can get in the way.

I prefer bifold doors but my contractor is dead set against them due to concerns over reliability. He says sliding doors are much more reliable. However, I do see many people installing bifold doors nowadays so I don't know.......

2 hours ago, Kellhound said:

I prefer bifold doors but my contractor is dead set against them due to concerns over reliability. He says sliding doors are much more reliable. However, I do see many people installing bifold doors nowadays so I don't know.......

Well, you are the owner so you make the final decision. 
yes, bifold doors but multiple panels and you can slide everything to one side to open up. Also with a master panel which is a door for daily access. Similar to the video you found but different technology.

8 hours ago, prodriver6 said:

Is there a name to such a door system? Any supplier in singapore to introduce?

my architect specified it as "sliding and folding" glass door.

I think any aluminum window/door contractor can do. nothing special about it as it's just normal aluminum framed glass doors with special hinges and sliding tracks unless you are asking for what @Kellhound found in the video he shared

1 hour ago, prodriver6 said:

Yes... i want the want that is found in the video. I like it that its individual panel... not those that are form a v shape to fold

then it would be something like those event halls in hotels which have removable walls using partitions. Get your contractor to source. When I was scoping up my house requirements, I heard my architect mention about this type of panel walls and seems that cost start from 5k onwards.

8 hours ago, prodriver6 said:

Yes... i want the want that is found in the video. I like it that its individual panel... not those that are form a v shape to fold

I'm also very interested in what is found in the video. I asked my contractor but he said it's not available in Singapore. I'm not sure how hard he looked though. That said, I could not find any local supplier via Google

11 hours ago, Kellhound said:

I'm also very interested in what is found in the video. I asked my contractor but he said it's not available in Singapore. I'm not sure how hard he looked though. That said, I could not find any local supplier via Google

search for operable wall. these are the wall partition panels which are commonly found in hotels function rooms and banquet halls.

there is one company (great year industries) who is the agent for a german company (abopart) and the german company has glass panel operable walls like the photo below.

Abopart-100G-NUS-SDE-2-1024x768-1024x768.jpg.cd1ed2ad4a69d661923e115620f4d537.jpg

Some issues may need to consider:

The glass door may need to satisfy BCA’s tempered/laminated specifications.

Privacy issues unless there is drawing day curtain or glass films with mirror reflectivity pasted on.