Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tim_chenie

Tim & Chenie Little Sweet Haven

2. The electrician comments that the Main Circuit Board is required to lowered down due to HDB new regulation, hence it requires extra charges as it requires more wire for the extension. By the way the rewiring of the whole house costs 2.5K. Is it worth it?

welcome to renotalk

spam chopped.

the MCB doesnt need to be lowered unless you WANT PUB testing. period

rewiring is necessary when your house reaches 20yrs old.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the prompt response again. :D

welcome to renotalk

spam chopped.

the MCB doesnt need to be lowered unless you WANT PUB testing. period

rewiring is necessary when your house reaches 20yrs old.

Hi MaCe :) ,

The MCB need to be lowered as the contractor says it requires PUB testing, so that it will be covered under the HDB fire insurance. Our house is near to 20 years old and the previous owner last did their renovation 12 years ago, so we did the whole house rewiring just to be on the safe side.

By the way, anyone knows what are things should be included in a whole house rewiring?

1. my contractor is only charging $1,350 for sealant, white paint and 4 other colours of MEDIFRESH 3-in-1 for my 134sqm including paint and workmanship leh. your contractor not very honest loh furious.gif if take his pricing, $1k (original) + $200 (workmanship) = $1200. add to that the price of paint $35 per 5l can jawdrop.gif
Hi applefreak :) ,

So we guess we can ask to remove the item of painting of whole house from the renovation list if we are able to engage the ICI or Nippon paint company to do it. We have saw the advertisement for that on the newspaper but did not know what is the difference between the 2 packages? Anyone can provide any insight on that?

Another thing is regarding a pest repellant liquid that can be added into the paint. We asked our contractor regarding this but he said that it would be another extra charges. Anyone can provide any insight on that too?

If there is new HDB regulation, when the HDB officer is there for inspection, he would have told during the 2nd appointment. FYI, mine is 4Ng flat, for whole house wiring and electrical points, it cost 2k only.
Hi 1000 miles :) ,

Can you provide us the name and contact no of your contractor? The reason given by the contractor for 2.5K is that the wiring material cost had gone up during this period, thus increasing the cost.

We have previously posted a topic on this and seems like it is the current market rate. Here's the link to the topic:Rewiring

By the way, do you have a T-blog or personal blog that we can view your house? That will be really cool. :good:

Once again, thanks for the prompt replies. :yamseng:

Edited by tim_chenie

hi, think the nippon package classic and premium is dependant on the paint you choose.

as for the PUB testing, it is NOT mandatory for fire insurance leh

at least not for new flats

even my current home which is 24yrs old also never do PUB testing and we bought additional fire insurance somemore. :good:

as for rewiring package, you must think of the number of light points, socket points etc you want. if not they play punk and say only rewire, points extra :yamseng:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the prompt response again. :yamseng:

Hi MaCe :good: ,

The MCB need to be lowered as the contractor says it requires PUB testing, so that it will be covered under the HDB fire insurance. Our house is near to 20 years old and the previous owner last did their renovation 12 years ago, so we did the whole house rewiring just to be on the safe side.

By the way, anyone knows what are things should be included in a whole house rewiring?

dont think i see this clause in the fire insurance cos when we sign th agreement to purchase flat, straightaway we went to buy the insurance at the counter. check with other contractors but best still check with AIG.

since redoing wiring, everything should come in a package and not some stupid excuse as longer wires needed. my contractor didnt tell me this.

go and check the reputation of the contractor first.

lots of this one must pay extra that one not included BS after you sign the agreement.

frankly from the way your contractor tells you, i wont engage them if i were you.

go to renovation firms and read more about contractors and ids

hi, think the nippon package classic and premium is dependant on the paint you choose.

as for the PUB testing, it is NOT mandatory for fire insurance leh

at least not for new flats

even my current home which is 24yrs old also never do PUB testing and we bought additional fire insurance somemore. :D

as for rewiring package, you must think of the number of light points, socket points etc you want. if not they play punk and say only rewire, points extra :yamseng:

Hi applefreak :~ ,

Thanks for your very prompt response :) !

The electrician informed us that it is required for the HDB fire insurance, so maybe we can get more from the HDB.:)

Is it compulsory to buy from HDB? Or is it just the cheapest in the market?By the way, may we know which company fire insurance you bought from? AIA? :~

As for rewiring, we verbally told the contractor that we are going to add only a few extra power points, plus shifting the position of the existing points, they were OK with that now, but not sure if they are going to go back on their words later :)

:good:

hehehe, i'm a lazy person so just bought the one at hdb hub

think it's $9.25 for five years covering structural damage

additional $325 for five years covering certain contents

no need to buy from hdb but how much can you save from the $9.25?

but the contents coverage can consider sourcing around.

better to get your contractor write it down in black and white

i.e. how many single / double sockets, how many of the sockets are 13a, 15a etc, how many light points.

i'm not doing any wiring works so can't 'advise' further

maybe those doing would like to share? ;)

1. The painting of whole house (cost 1K) only includes sealer and white paint. Any other colour paints requires us to buy the paint ourselves and pay the workmanship, that is quoted around $200.

Mine was $1200 for the whole house. Ceiling is white. the rest, up to me. no limit of colors. Painted my PVC piping to other gloss colors also. Of course, becoz my whole house is been done by the renovator, so he said no point restricting my choice of colors. I also did whole unit plastering which cost me $1800. quite nice, coz old house's wall tends to be blocky and not flat. After plastering, quite nice and flat.

2. The electrician comments that the Main Circuit Board is required to lowered down due to HDB new regulation, hence it requires extra charges as it requires more wire for the extension. By the way the rewiring of the whole house costs 2.5K. Is it worth it? ;)

I heard from this from my renovator while doing the marking of the electrical points for my new house. He mentioned that new HDB requirement is that the Main Circuit Board has to be around the height of 1.6m to 1.8m, within the reach of a average height adult. My house was 18yrs old and the condition was run-down, so i wanted to re-wire the whole house as i feel that is safer and also the quality of copper wire are much better than those that are 10+yrs ago. And rewiring whole house allows me to place the socket where i wanted them to be as well as the number of sockets. I was given a package, which contains certain number of single and double sockets including sockets for washing machine and aircond. This package cost $2000. and any additional sockets will be charge according to the price list that they passed to me with my quotation.

3. The selection of tiles for the living room is limited to $3 psf and the tiles for the kitchen ceramic tiles is limited to $2 psf. Is that the market rate? :D

As for this, i am not sure.

Mine was $1200 for the whole house. Ceiling is white. the rest, up to me. no limit of colors. Painted my PVC piping to other gloss colors also. Of course, becoz my whole house is been done by the renovator, so he said no point restricting my choice of colors.
Hi eR1c :jawdrop: ,

Can you send us your painter name and contact? By the way, do you have any photos of the work done by the painters? If have, can you send us the link too? Thanks! :D

.. rewiring whole house allows me to place the socket where i wanted them to be as well as the number of sockets. I was given a package, which contains certain number of single and double sockets including sockets for washing machine and aircond. This package cost $2000. and any additional sockets will be charge according to the price list that they passed to me with my quotation.
So there's a package that actually states the number of sockets to be installed? We actually thought that the price consists of the existing power points and the shifting of the points is free of charge. So how many single and double sockets are included in your package? Maybe you can send us your electrician name and contact too? :)Is there anything else included within your package? Really hope you can provide us these information as we are really new at this. :P

:notti:

Hi everyone, :jawdrop:

We are back with the 1st day (06 July 2007 Friday) of hacking the tiles photos, so sit back and enjoy the destruction. :notti:

Nothing much was done except for the 2 bathrooms, noted from our contractor that they are most difficult areas to hack the tiles.

MasterBedroom Bathroom

06Jul07_03.jpg06Jul07_04.jpg

Kitchen Bathroom

06Jul07_01.jpg06Jul07_06.jpg06Jul07_02.jpg

Next comes the second day of HACKING THE TILES. :D

:P

Hi everyone, :jawdrop:

Here are the second day (09 July 2007 Monday) of hacking photos. :notti:

More destruction was sighted in the Kitchen, Living room, Guestroom and part of MasterBedroom. The MasterBedroom bathroom was not hacked, the reason we reckon is that the workers need a place to pay their "water bills" if you know what we mean. :P

2 holes were also found at the each side of the kitchen walls, do not know whether they are defects or damages done by the workers. Anyone any clues? :P

Kitchen

09Jul07_03.jpg09Jul07_04.jpg09Jul07_05.jpg

Kitchen Bathroom

09Jul07_01.jpg09Jul07_02.jpg

More photos!

Living Room

09Jul07_06.jpg09Jul07_08.jpg09Jul07_10.jpg

Guestroom

09Jul07_09.jpg

MasterBedroom

09Jul07_07.jpg

Next comes the third and the final day of hacking! :jawdrop:

:D

Edited by tim_chenie

single socket - $45

double socket - $55

lighting point - $30

15amp aircon - $90

20amp heater - $90

TV point - $90

Hi eR1c :bow: ,

Can you send us your painter name and contact? By the way, do you have any photos of the work done by the painters? If have, can you send us the link too? Thanks! :notti:

So there's a package that actually states the number of sockets to be installed? We actually thought that the price consists of the existing power points and the shifting of the points is free of charge. So how many single and double sockets are included in your package? Maybe you can send us your electrician name and contact too? :)Is there anything else included within your package? Really hope you can provide us these information as we are really new at this. :jawdrop:

:P

eh... the painter and the electrician is part of my renovation package from my contractor, the painter is his workers, the electrician is sub out... so i also not sure their contacts. have met the electrician once only, during marking of the electrical points.

as for the package, will post here later... :)

OK, Here's my HDB rewiring package.

Light Point - 12 nos.

13A Single power point - 6 nos

13A twin power point - 10 nos

20A heater point - 2 nos

15A air-con point - 1 nos

SCV point - 4 nos

Telephone point - 4 nos

Main Switch Board - 1 no

Door Bell Point - 1 no

Labour to install all electrical fitting - FOC

All switch box - FOC

Package Price - $2000.

Lighting point (groupding): Additional Installation - $8 / New - $15

Lighting point / wall fan point include installation: Additional Installation - $8 / New - $20 / Shfit - $10

13A Single power point: New - $35 / Shfit - $20

13A Twin power point: New - $45 / Shfit - $20

TV(SCV) point: New - $100 / Shfit - $25

Telephone point: New - $30 / Shfit - $15

20A Heater point: New - $70 / Shfit - $25

15A Air-con point: New - $100 / Shfit - $25

Bonding Earth for water pipe / gas pipe: New - $80

DB Unit (New): New - $250 / Shfit - $120

Testing: New - $400

Dimmer Switch: New - $20

Door bell point c/w bell push include installation: New - $20 / Shfit - $10

Replace single to twin socket: New - $20

Installation of existing light: Additional Installation - $8

Add on MCB: New - $20

Water proof cover: New - $10

Installation of ceiling fan: New - $40

2 way lighting point: New - $30

Cat 5E wire point: New - $80

Hi eR1C and MaCe, :bleah:

Thanks for your information on your rewiring packages. Just wondering, when is your rewiring done? The reason given by my contractor for the high price (2.5K) is that the wiring material (e.g copper) had risen during these few months, but we are not sure if this is a fact or not? Can anyone provide any insight on this?

By the way, anyone had lobang on Amasco Twister™ Model : AMC-48 ceiling fan? :rolleyes: Thinking of installing one in the living room.

twister_cpg.jpg

The cheapest quote we got is $80.

We went to the BH Lightings promotion a few months ago, the price was around $59, but does not include the regulator, remote, delivery and installation.

Another thing is why is the price of stand fan so expensive? A typical stand fan cost ranges from $40 to even $100. Why is that so? Just manage to get 2 stand fan from COURTS selling at $19.90 EACH. Last month we tried to get a stand fan from GAIN CITY at $19 but was sold out.

Hope to hear from you guys and gals soon. Thanks! :)

Hi eR1C and MaCe, :)

Thanks for your information on your rewiring packages. Just wondering, when is your rewiring done? The reason given by my contractor for the high price (2.5K) is that the wiring material (e.g copper) had risen during these few months, but we are not sure if this is a fact or not? Can anyone provide any insight on this?

mine renovation is still on going. majority of the re-wiring is done, except for those that requires the carpentry works to be installed before they can continue.

u can visit my t-blog chat here

I do read some in the news that the price of copper wires have went up for the past few months, that's why alot of places have their wirings stolen. Some workshop even had their whole unit wiring stolen. Was in the news last few days.