Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tim_chenie

Tim & Chenie Little Sweet Haven

Hey dude...

Dun worry...nowadays got many good good cleaning solutions around. I also saw on some magazines about how white vinegar can remove stains easily...but must mix with some other stuff like baking powder and such..so if u take some time off can mix all these up and give it a shot...tomorrow i check which magazine then i put the "recipe" for the cleaning solution up.

Good idea painting one of the walls to have contrast...paint can easily be changed if you dun like it so i say go for it man! :P

Actually hoh...i kinda feel like my house look smaller after hacking leh...dunno maybe it'z because of all the sand and dust and all the stuff lying around making the house look smaller.

And seriously...i also duno how to keep the oil away from the rest of the living area haha...got soem ideas lah...like if fry food then use those frying cooker loh...other then that i promised my wife i would clean after every meal cooked :good: then she agreed haha...siong abit lah...but i'm vain also hehe...

Itz sunday evening now...SO FAST! have a nice weekend evening everyone! :good:

I'm off to work now... :D

Hi jamez, :)

Just Googled and found some websites that might be useful too, check it out:

How to Remove Stains: Petroleum Jelly, Oil, Grass Stains

How to Remove Crayon Stains From Tile Floors

Removing Stains From Porcelain Tiles

We will be waiting for your 'recipe' too. :)

Now all lies with my wife, she is the one who is good with colours, she is a very trendy fashion shopper you know. :):) Actually thinking having green shades in our study room (I requested for that :P ), purple shades in our guestroom. not sure for the masterbedroom and living room yet. And we are going to settle on the paint next weekend. :P Talk about making choices. :)

Yeah, with all those things lying around, it definitely makes the space looks smaller, so really have to consider the postion of the furniture wisely too. ;)

Well, judging from my own experience, the cleaning will probably pause after the 1st week. :P Stupid idea but maybe you can consider putting some fans to blow away from the living room. :P

WOW, Sunday also working, what exactly are you working as? So "Pai Mia" (bad life). :P Guess you're home by now, so have a good rest. zz:D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi eR1c, :)

Thanks for the correction :D Kinda blur blur when it comes to dates. So how's your "Spot the Defects" exercise? Hope that you did not find anything not nice. Email? The renovator too busy to receive phone calls? :P WOW, his business really BIG. :good:

So RP is RePurchase, thanks for the note. :)

Yeah, hope everything is done before 10th August then we will have our own "Spot the Defects" exercise. :D Anyway had spotted a few oredi. :) Do tell us what to look out for ok? Need to knock tiles to see whether they are hollow? :good:

Spot some mistakes but mainly minor mistakes.

The painting on the wall under the MBR was not painted properly. can see the paint lines.

The underneath of the trunking also not painted.

One electrical trunking end point not cover up.

Some cabinets door not align properly.

The kitchen sold table top need to polish.

Windows are not cleaned properly.

The hob was not able to sit properly on the table top. The hob got a curve groove design, so the hole need to be cut a bit bigger.

The rest is mostly cleaning was not good.

My Renovator is indeed busy lately, due to the high surge in renovation works.. Even him, as a managing director, also have to help drive lorry to bring his workers ard. hahaha. Anyway, he wanted me to email him becoz it is much easier than talk on the phone. coz he may not be able to remember everything i said.

When i check my house, i also test all the electrical points with a small portable fan. I also tested the network points that i ask him to install. But haven't check the telephone system yet

Switch on the air-cond to see if got any leak and is it cold or not. Try the water heaters also. Test all the taps to see if got any leaks... etc. Some people do knock on the tiles to check if it is hollow lor. i haven't did that yet. Dunno want to do or not, coz the house too big liao... hahaha

Anyway, to be able to spot defects, firstly, u must have the mentality that u definitely want to find something wrong at the place, then u will find... if u keep telling urself that everything is well, then u will not be able to find any mistakes lor.

Hi Tim

Finally lay my hands on the renovation contract.

I remembered u were asking abt wiring price rite?

Just a quick summary for mine

1) 1x13amp - $40

2) 2 x 13amp - $50

3) Lighting Pt - $28

4) Install Light - $10

5) DB Box - $280

6) SCV Point - $80

7) Earth Point - $80

8) Heater Point - $80

9) Fone Point - $40

Other items that u may wish to do a price comparision (since ours is quite similar flat)

- Painting for whole house @ $850

- Plastering @ $1450

SEe below for more pix. I have purple for my guest room and green for my masterbedroom and yellow for study room. U may check out the colors for ur easy reference so u can decide what is the best color for u.

Masterbedroom - http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0081ma6.jpg

Guest Room - http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0070av8.jpg

Study Room - http://img54.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0077kc1.jpg

Looking at ur renovation pix reminds me so much of my renovation then leh. Haha

But looks like completing soon loh!:good: Now i am waiting for ur end-completion pix ... :good:

My Renovator is indeed busy lately, due to the high surge in renovation works.. Even him, as a managing director, also have to help drive lorry to bring his workers ard. hahaha. Anyway, he wanted me to email him becoz it is much easier than talk on the phone. coz he may not be able to remember everything i said.

1. Test all the electrical points with a small portable fan.

2. Test the network points that i ask him to install.

3. Check the telephone system.

4. Switch on the air-cond to see if got any leak and is it cold or not.

5. Try the water heaters also.

6. Test all the taps to see if got any leaks... etc.

7. Some people do knock on the tiles to check if it is hollow lor. i haven't did that yet. Dunno want to do or not, coz the house too big liao... hahaha

Conclusion : To be able to spot defects, firstly, u must have the mentality that u definitely want to find something wrong at the place, then u will find... if u keep telling urself that everything is well, then u will not be able to find any mistakes lor.

Hi eR1c, :)

Yeah, agree that email is better that everything is also in black and white, so there will be no misunderstanding between the both parties. :)

Thank you so much for the Pointers, will be taking this list down when doing "Spot the Defects" exercise, anyway maybe bringing our friend along too, more eyes can see more. :dribble::notti:

So how long do they need to rectify the defects? Are you still in time to move in before the Chinese Lunar 7th Month 13 August 2007, Monday?

All the best to you. Remember to post your house photos when it is done. Thanks :):notti:

Other items that u may wish to do a price comparision (since ours is quite similar flat)

- Painting for whole house @ $850

- Plastering @ $1450

Looking at ur renovation pix reminds me so much of my renovation then leh. Haha

But looks like completing soon loh!!! Now i am waiting for ur end-completion pix ... smile.gif

Hi xiaomumu, :)

Thanks for posting your quotation, may we know what is the kind of paint they use? The normal one or the 3-in-1 or Easywash? Mine is 1K and using normal paint and only limit 1 colour per room. :wub:

Glad to revive your renovation memories, but our house is really much more simpler than yours. :)

No budget. :notti:

Thanks for the photos and the colour comparison. Really need some advice or visual aids to decide on the wall colours.

Really thoughful of you, xiaomumu! :notti::notti:

So how long do they need to rectify the defects? Are you still in time to move in before the Chinese Lunar 7th Month 13 August 2007, Monday?

All the best to you. Remember to post your house photos when it is done. Thanks :P:deal:

Hi, they will be coming down this friday to rectify all the defects. In the mean time, i will be starting to shift my stuffs over bits by bits liao. My 'official' shifting in date is still on 9th Aug. !!

Hi, they will be coming down this friday to rectify all the defects. In the mean time, i will be starting to shift my stuffs over bits by bits liao. My 'official' shifting in date is still on 9th Aug. :)

National Day!...thanx for sharing how u checked your hse...i'm gonna take notes now... !!

Hi jamez, :)

Just Googled and found some websites that might be useful too, check it out:

How to Remove Stains: Petroleum Jelly, Oil, Grass Stains

How to Remove Crayon Stains From Tile Floors

Removing Stains From Porcelain Tiles

We will be waiting for your 'recipe' too. :)

Now all lies with my wife, she is the one who is good with colours, she is a very trendy fashion shopper you know. :P:bleah: Actually thinking having green shades in our study room (I requested for that :) ), purple shades in our guestroom. not sure for the masterbedroom and living room yet. And we are going to settle on the paint next weekend. :P Talk about making choices. :D

Yeah, with all those things lying around, it definitely makes the space looks smaller, so really have to consider the postion of the furniture wisely too. :)

Well, judging from my own experience, the cleaning will probably pause after the 1st week. :P Stupid idea but maybe you can consider putting some fans to blow away from the living room. :P

WOW, Sunday also working, what exactly are you working as? So "Pai Mia" (bad life). :P Guess you're home by now, so have a good rest. zz !!

oh hello...actually i juz woke up...reached home from work this morning..yes i agree itz "pai mai" job..not so happy about working that long hours either...i'm waiting till nex year to see if there are other career options.

as for the "recipe"...wait huh...i go flip through the magazines now... :dancingqueen:

Edited by jamez

ok...heres wat i could find...

Bathroom/all purpose cleaner

4 tablespoons baking soda dissolved in 1 litre of warm water or mixture of 1 part white vinegar to 3 parts water

Glass cleaner

Mix warm water with either white vinegar or lemon juice in spray bottle...wipe with newspapers

Laundry brightner

Add 1/2 cup (?) of strained lemon juice to rinse cycle

Fabric rinse

Add 1/4 cup (?) of white vinegar to washing machine's rinse cycle to remove detergent completely from clothes. Will not leave clothes smelling like vinegar.

Detergent booster

Add baking soda...which will soften the water and increase detergent power..therefore reducing detergent usage.

for cleaning of ovens

Pour baking soda on oven floor whenever anything is spilled over. Leave the baking soda to sit. When oven is cooled..scoop up the goob and remove. Can only be used when the spill is fresh. The baking soda absorbs the grease that was in the food but does not stick to the oven floor.

While i haven tried all these b4.. i think itz interesting and will give it a shot

Actually therez a whole lot more...like using white vinegar to get rid of smells and stuff...but i cun find the magazine that i saw it in...im gonna search on the net.. :bleah:

ok found these...

http://www.hintsandthings.com/spareroom/vinegar.htm

http://www.discountshoppingguide.com.au/ar...eaning_products

Edited by jamez

Hi Tim

Erm.. we can choose up to 5 colors excluding white lo. Can choose and match any brands. We took Nippon Odourless and 3-in 1. Dulux's paint selection quite 'dull' for us as we prefer bright colors

But one thing abt the Nippon that we selected has a mild glossy finish. It looks nice BUT BUT BUT the painter must be very skilful lo.. cos any touch up will look beri patchy one leh against the light. We have overlooked to inspect the quality of the paint job. I only discovered the patches on the very day of handover... wanna to repaint oso hard liao loh. So do make sure to check out for the quality of the paint job not only on the surface but oso bio it from the side (esp against the light)... hehe.. hope it is not too chim for u

Hi everyone, :)

Another update from us. :notti: Most of the Kitchen Wall Tiles were placed (the floor cement is left to dry so we could not go further into the Kitchen Area) and the Floor Tiles for the Study Room had arrived. The Kitchen Entrance was also done up with some tiles on the side. The Living Room Window Grilles had been replaced and the Living Room is back to square one again with lots of stores. :P

Kitchen Entrance with cement patches. Kitchen Wall Tiles are almost completed. :notti:

23Jul07_01.jpg23Jul07_02.jpg

Floor Tiles in the Study Room. Hopefully they can complete the whole floor tiles and skirting by tommorow. :rofl:

23Jul07_03.jpg

Our New Living Room Window Grilles, the old one was kinda rusty and was adviced to change. And the Living Room became the storage area again. :lol:

23Jul07_04.jpg23Jul07_05.jpg

That's all for now folks. Good night. :~:bleah:

ok...heres wat i could find...

Bathroom/all purpose cleaner

4 tablespoons baking soda dissolved in 1 litre of warm water or mixture of 1 part white vinegar to 3 parts water

Glass cleaner

Mix warm water with either white vinegar or lemon juice in spray bottle...wipe with newspapers

Laundry brightner

Add 1/2 cup (?) of strained lemon juice to rinse cycle

Fabric rinse

Add 1/4 cup (?) of white vinegar to washing machine's rinse cycle to remove detergent completely from clothes. Will not leave clothes smelling like vinegar.

Detergent booster

Add baking soda...which will soften the water and increase detergent power..therefore reducing detergent usage.

for cleaning of ovens

Pour baking soda on oven floor whenever anything is spilled over. Leave the baking soda to sit. When oven is cooled..scoop up the goob and remove. Can only be used when the spill is fresh. The baking soda absorbs the grease that was in the food but does not stick to the oven floor.

While i haven tried all these b4.. i think itz interesting and will give it a shot

Actually therez a whole lot more...like using white vinegar to get rid of smells and stuff...but i cun find the magazine that i saw it in...im gonna search on the net.. :yamseng:

odours;

1) yupz. white vinegar mix 50-50 with water and wipe the entire suface(pungent) to remove the stink.

2) charcoal chop to tiny bits

3) toilet paper roll - works only in concealed area like the wardrobe/shoe cabinet or cabinet. toilet paper will absorb the odour.

remove wax from glass:

1) put glass(bottle/container...etc) into the freezer, 24 hours later can easily remove the wax by just scrapping it off.

odours;

1) yupz. white vinegar mix 50-50 with water and wipe the entire suface(pungent) to remove the stink.

2) charcoal chop to tiny bits

3) toilet paper roll - works only in concealed area like the wardrobe/shoe cabinet or cabinet. toilet paper will absorb the odour.

remove wax from glass:

1) put glass(bottle/container...etc) into the freezer, 24 hours later can easily remove the wax by just scrapping it off.

hey..yeah dat was wat i was looking for.. thanx! :yamseng:

hey..yeah dat was wat i was looking for.. thanx! :~

which one? all ? then your wardrobe must be stinking like mine - all the glue smell.... :~

charcoal also works ONLY in concealed area.

which one? all ? then your wardrobe must be stinking like mine - all the glue smell.... :rofl:

charcoal also works ONLY in concealed area.

no lah...no for the cupboards...the first one where u mix the white vinegar with 50-50 water...for the getting rid of odour...

i also read somewhere where u mix white vinegar with water and spray it into the air if there are odours...my hse main entrance got some smell from outside one...i've got some freaky neighbours haha so...use too much "glade" smell already become nauseous...so if white vinegar can get rid of the odour without any oher additional smell it'll be great...

seems like white vinegar is the miracle liquid..

I think maybe itz because ur cupboards new...thatz y still got the glue smell?

Hi everyone, :)

Another update from us. :good: Most of the Kitchen Wall Tiles were placed (the floor cement is left to dry so we could not go further into the Kitchen Area) and the Floor Tiles for the Study Room had arrived. The Kitchen Entrance was also done up with some tiles on the side. The Living Room Window Grilles had been replaced and the Living Room is back to square one again with lots of stores. :P

Kitchen Entrance with cement patches. Kitchen Wall Tiles are almost completed. :rofl:

Floor Tiles in the Study Room. Hopefully they can complete the whole floor tiles and skirting by tommorow. ;)

Our New Living Room Window Grilles, the old one was kinda rusty and was adviced to change. And the Living Room became the storage area again. :P

That's all for now folks. Good night. zz:notti:

Good progress there dude! looking forward to more pics! :deal:

Edited by jamez

Erm.. we can choose up to 5 colors excluding white lo. Can choose and match any brands. We took Nippon Odourless and 3-in 1. Dulux's paint selection quite 'dull' for us as we prefer bright colors

But one thing abt the Nippon that we selected has a mild glossy finish. It looks nice BUT BUT BUT the painter must be very skilful lo.. cos any touch up will look beri patchy one leh against the light. We have overlooked to inspect the quality of the paint job. I only discovered the patches on the very day of handover... wanna to repaint oso hard liao loh. So do make sure to check out for the quality of the paint job not only on the surface but oso bio it from the side (esp against the light)... hehe.. hope it is not too chim for u

Hi xiaomumu, :)

OIC, thanks for the info, maybe we will visit one of the paint shop near our house to get the Nippon catalogs.

Right now we only had the Dulux catalouge (got from the mailbox). :)

We just talked to my contractor and he explained that some items in the Package are actually below the market price and they are only making profits from other items in the package such as the Painting and Rewiring.

We actually saw one Electrician Jeffrey ;) being recommended by one of the members and now trying to get the quotation from him to see if our contractor is making high profits. :notti:

We felt that since people is running a business, of course need to let them have some profits, but we also want to have things done in our Dream House, so very dilemma now. :)

Yeah, my freelance contractor uncle also advice us when getting 3-in-1 and EasyWash type of paint, need to paint the Entire Wall at one go, no breaks allowed, if not, patches will surface after the paint dried.

So now will just stick with the normal paint type (as included in the package) since we are not cleaning the wall so much. :P

:notti:

Edited by tim_chenie

Yeah, my freelance contractor uncle also advice us when getting 3-in-1 and EasyWash type of paint, need to paint the Entire Wall at one go, no breaks allowed, if not, patches will surface after the paint dried.

So now will just stick with the normal paint type (as included in the package) since we are not cleaning the wall so much. :)

:notti:

dont forget the sealer.

easywash the best - really easy wash!:notti:;)