Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Malui

Part-time Domestic Helper

Hi,

I would like to know if there's any recommendation for part time domestic helper who can clean my house over weekend. I have tried the Maid Library but their service is very bad. Got them to find an auntie to clean my house. The first time she cleaned, it wasnt thorough. Cant even iron my clothes neatly. I gave her a 2nd chance but it is still the same. I requested to have her changed. Until now, the Maid Library agency havent got back to me. Do you have any reliable agency to recommend? And how is the charges?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Would you consider those maids that are working freelance on their own?

There are a handful of maids, which are registered with employers as their domestic helpers, but the employers do not pay them and only gave them a place to stay. Thus the maids are allowed to roam freely to do their own assignments. In return, the maids will go back to the employers' place and perform basic cleaning services.

These maids are usually very experienced and do not want to be tied down to one employer for the miserable salary, thus their quality is good. I am using one for my mum's place (HDB 4-rm flat) that can vaccum, mop, clean windows, wash/iron clothes within two hours. She charges $20/hr and I use her once per week.

PM me if you are keen...

Erm, not sure if this is legal or not, but I believe the risk is on the registered employer (eg the maid do any funny things outside) but not on you...

Would you consider those maids that are working freelance on their own?

There are a handful of maids, which are registered with employers as their domestic helpers, but the employers do not pay them and only gave them a place to stay. Thus the maids are allowed to roam freely to do their own assignments. In return, the maids will go back to the employers' place and perform basic cleaning services.

These maids are usually very experienced and do not want to be tied down to one employer for the miserable salary, thus their quality is good. I am using one for my mum's place (HDB 4-rm flat) that can vaccum, mop, clean windows, wash/iron clothes within two hours. She charges $20/hr and I use her once per week.

PM me if you are keen...

Erm, not sure if this is legal or not, but I believe the risk is on the registered employer (eg the maid do any funny things outside) but not on you...

eh it's illegal and the punishment is not light :)

eh it's illegal and the punishment is not light :)

Erm I thought it only a problem for the registered employer? For us who engage their services, what kind of punishment will we get? :jawdrop:

hmm i think there's something about employing illegal workers

i.e. knowingly employ them even though they are not supposed to work in that capacity

e.g. those pple employing bangla workers holding construction work permit to wash dishes at food courts also kenna :):jawdrop:

hmm i think there's something about employing illegal workers

i.e. knowingly employ them even though they are not supposed to work in that capacity

e.g. those pple employing bangla workers holding construction work permit to wash dishes at food courts also kenna :jawdrop::notti:

OIC...but the domestic helper is still working as a domestic helper mah, got proper work permit, not illegal worker. Somemore its in our own house, nobody else will see and we are individuals, not corporations. :)

Anyway I think there is a lot of way out of this: The maid can say that she is our friend and doing this for us for free, or the registered employer can say that they are our friend and leave the maid with us because they not at home, etc.

The authority have to get a whole lot of evidence (observations, transactions, fees, etc) in order to get us, somemore we are the small player in this deal and thus lesser penalty. The heavier penalty would be on the registered employer and the maid themselves.

actually unlikely to get caught loh

but the law is there, better to know and take precautions than dun know and die also dun know why :jawdrop:

the law governing domestic workers are very strict i.e. they can only do chores at the registered address, not even at another resident :)

actually unlikely to get caught loh

but the law is there, better to know and take precautions than dun know and die also dun know why :jawdrop:

the law governing domestic workers are very strict i.e. they can only do chores at the registered address, not even at another resident :)

The quality of such maids is definitely worth it; mine can speak perfect English and she could be easily employed by those ang-mohs or rich families for above $700/month. I was thinking mah, if I don't have her, I will have to settle for those new and young Indon maids, which can make you pull your hair out everytime...

For the law, I believe they are more concerned about maid abuse; ie asking the maid to help out in the shop or hawker stalls. Such places will be very prominent, so easy to get complaint by public...

how about those aunties who work as freelance cleaner on free days?

I did have a number that was pasted in my block's elevator. But I think only applies to Admiralty residence, but if u dun mind, can try calling.. Maybe she got friends that can takeyour area.

PM me for details if u like :notti:

The quality of such maids is definitely worth it; mine can speak perfect English and she could be easily employed by those ang-mohs or rich families for above $700/month. I was thinking mah, if I don't have her, I will have to settle for those new and young Indon maids, which can make you pull your hair out everytime...

For the law, I believe they are more concerned about maid abuse; ie asking the maid to help out in the shop or hawker stalls. Such places will be very prominent, so easy to get complaint by public...

I thought of that.. but worried if kena caught.. I know it is illegal and afraid if anything happens the maid can also get us into trouble. I heard in my block, someone tried to employ a domestic helper in an illegal manner and kena summon. Never ask them to elaborate coz I also don't know the person who told me the story when I was in the lift. A very 'friendly' auntie..Maybe, must be people complaint and then the person got check. THerefore got check. Also, my flat is undergoing upgrading.. maybe there's a security check on the workers and probably involve the domestic helper.. not very sure..

Hence, I would rather choose locals to help me out.

I thought of that.. but worried if kena caught.. I know it is illegal and afraid if anything happens the maid can also get us into trouble. I heard in my block, someone tried to employ a domestic helper in an illegal manner and kena summon. Never ask them to elaborate coz I also don't know the person who told me the story when I was in the lift. A very 'friendly' auntie..Maybe, must be people complaint and then the person got check. THerefore got check. Also, my flat is undergoing upgrading.. maybe there's a security check on the workers and probably involve the domestic helper.. not very sure..

Hence, I would rather choose locals to help me out.

I did tried locals before - somemore they sent me TWO old aunties to work on the small 4-rm flat. My mum said they are even older than her, how to tell them to do this do that??

In the end, THREE hours already still cannot finish everything. Never finish still ok, but the floor and windows all not clean!! !!

How much?? $80/session. Wah lau, sorry lor, no more next time for me... !!

zirhk3355 :dribble: It's illegal. Some maids have been caught by MOM and repatriated and both the "work permit" employers and actual employers got fined substantially. Came out in the newspapers a couple years back. A New Zealander expatriate was heavily fined - five digits fine. Now and then, MOM launches a sting operation... There are quite a few, I agree, but best not to advertise so openly...

Local maids tend not to be so hardworking...they're usually local aunties hoping to get extra cash...

zirhk3355 :sport-smiley-004: It's illegal. Some maids have been caught by MOM and repatriated and both the "work permit" employers and actual employers got fined substantially. Came out in the newspapers a couple years back. A New Zealander expatriate was heavily fined - five digits fine. Now and then, MOM launches a sting operation... There are quite a few, I agree, but best not to advertise so openly...

Local maids tend not to be so hardworking...they're usually local aunties hoping to get extra cash...

Hi zirhk3355,

It is ok if we were to explore the opportunites to maximise returns in asset but I would against the idea of getting the parttime maid.

If anyone were to pm you and ask to know how to pick up the parttime maid then better be careful.

As it could be one of the regulator from MOM seeing this thread and waiting to catch the fish.

MOM rules for foreign domestic worker is tied to one enmployer. Any body found the domestic helper working in another workplace is considered as illegal worker.

Tha panelty could be a high price to pay for. Care ful ah!

According to the newspapers, MOM caught the maid first, then looked through her address book for the names of her employers and their telephone numbers. That was how the New Zealander expatriate was hauled up to court.

indeed. the guy whom i married catches these maids & their employers. be careful zirhk.

Edited by cornetto